Trusted Contributor

Looking for a new Serum for aging skin....

I'm looking for opinions on Serums...I'm 58, and have dry skin and ugly pores, and too old for freckles...sun damage !   I've been using oils for past few yrs. in the place of serums.

I just recently started using the diamond buff microderm abrasion tool and feel like my skin is in a better place to accept a good power packed serum now..that tool is great !

I may I need a vitamin C serum for am...please suggest your best, so many serums to pick from..

And I am open to using more than one serum even if alternating days, or one for am and one for pm if necessary ?

I did get two samples from Sephora..Algenist Genius C+ serum....and Algenist Elevate firm and lift contour serum. Each one is in $100 range. I tried the C, no complaints for one try, but kind of expensive.

What Serum's would you suggest for my issues..?

Thx so much..

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for a new Serum for aging skin....

[ Edited ]

I am using Diane Young Miraculously Younger Serum, have used it for years. She no longer appears on QVC but it looks like QVC still has some of her products available on line. I also use her moisturizer!! Her website usually has a sale in January and July. She has a Salon in NYC that specializes in Anti-Aging.

Honored Contributor

Hi dejavu--have you thought about trying Paulas Choice? Go to the website and you can do a live chat(I think) and ask about what you should use. I am 62 and have been using this line for the last year with huge success. I have very dry skin also. And you can buy samples or kits to try. I think making sure your skin is clean is your first line of defense. I use a Clarisonic and a Luna everyday and exfoliate 2x a week, even with dry skin. With  Paula  now on QVC, the prices are better. Also the email CS at PC is very good too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I second the Paula choice  too. Her antioxident serum has vitamin c. There is a straight up vitamin c in a bottle. I would call tell them your concerns and let them put a regimen together. I would not buy on qvc. There are a lot of 20% and 10 dollar off codes out there if you are a first time customer I can give you my code for refer a friend if you want. Her exfoliators and serums are wonderful. Her toner is the bomb. I use the resist line for normal to dry skin.

Honored Contributor

@deja vu"and too old for freckles...sun damage ! "

Interesting!  Never heard of sun damage freckles.  Are you saying that you were not born w/freckles but got them latter in life because of sun damage?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac

i think she meant age spots.  some look like freckles.

Esteemed Contributor

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair. Not a Vit C but my current fave. You can get a trial in just about all gwp's or ask at a counter if you're in a store.

Used Lacome Genefique and was happy for a few years but their formulation changed. I started getting raw, dry patches on my forehead. Stopped the serum & the patches cleared up.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

Interesting!  Never heard of sun damage freckles.  Are you saying that you were not born w/freckles but got them latter in life because of sun damage?

I just worded it oddly ... when I was saying it, it sounded funny to me  saying I'm 58 with a face full of freckles.  I have freckles, but spent several decades with my face in the sun as a child until I was in my mid 30's. I figure their is some sun damage with both.

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Valued Contributor

I use the diamond microdermasbrasion tool too and find it very helpful as long as I use it gently on wet skin.  For moisturizing I've used all kinds of fancy serums but the best is one I found recommended her, Marula Oil, which can be found on various natural product sites like iherb, etc.   It works better than any $100 + serum I have used.  As for sun spots again I have tried anything and the only thing that gives results for me is Obagi #5 Blender with hydroquinone that you use for three months.  It is a bit pricey but it works.  It is on various high end beuty sites like lovely skin and others.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@deja vu wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I just worded it oddly ... when I was saying it, it sounded funny to me  saying I'm 58 with a face full of freckles.  I have freckles, but spent several decades with my face in the sun as a child until I was in my mid 30's. I figure their is some sun damage with both.

@deja vu

While I think it'll be interesting to see what's recommended, those suggestions will only be part of the equation.  

What's also important here is WHAT ELSE are you using as skin treatment .... at night, on top of your serum, etc etc.   

I've tried many serums and my favorite, by far,  is Boots No 7 Intense Advanced Serum .... very effective and reasonably priced ....  1 oz is $30 at Ulta.