Honored Contributor

Re: "Black eyeliner looks too harsh on older women."

Of course black is too harsh for anyone.

Black Recedes

White Advances

Doesn't matter what qualifications she has, what she looks like, what kind of education she has, if we should embrace all beauty, etcetcetcetc.

It's Color Science 101.

I think all the negativity stems from the emotion of her statement of 40=older woman.  Anything she said after that?  She could've given us the cure for cancer but feathers were already fluttered with the 'older woman' statement. Smiley Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

Sophiasmommy said:   "Black eyeliner has never looked good on me. It has nothing to do with age. It looked horrible at 15 and still looks horrible at 50. I feel that it is too harsh for my coloring and features. That is my opinion about me! Actually, brown doesn't look that great on me either. I prefer charcoal or dark blue. (gasp...yes, I am 50 and wear dark blue. lol)"

@ATxGirl -- I'm with you 100% !  I'm 67 and look best in dark blue or charcoal eyeliners.  I even wear hunter green (gasp... again).   Brown has never worked for me or my blue eyes. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I love black eyeliner & will continue to use it no matter how old I am 💕💕

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

A beauty youtuber who is in her 40s said this in a video the other day.  She said that older women (like her) should wear brown, not black eyeliner because black is too harsh.  She got a lot of negative feedback for saying that.  

What do you all think?

I think that she should continue to wear the color that she likes on HER and I will do the same.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Mellie32----I don't  wear black eyeliner and never have. Always thought it looked way to harsh on me. I'm 62 btw. I have hazy eyes and wear a color called Brazen by Skinn, that is a khaki, olive bronze color. Also love the navy blues and the plums. The few times I do order a collection and there is always a black liner in them, I toss it out. Tried to line just my lower lashes with black ----it was not good.

Valued Contributor

I have been wearing black eyeliner forever. Since I am now 55, I guess I will til I die.  I think it looks good with my brown eyes.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Esteemed Contributor

I've ditched eyeliner as it makes my narrow eyelids look smaller and it emphasizes that I have one eyelid that is drooping as my eyelids are uneven. I spend more time on brows and mascara and I also curl my eyelashes as they are straight.

Respected Contributor

it doesn't look good on me now.   no liner except maybe a violet tightline.    i used to love to do a pretty cat eye drawn with a felt tip liner.   lol i just realized that was 25 years ago ACK!!! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

A beauty youtuber who is in her 40s said this in a video the other day.  She said that older women (like her) should wear brown, not black eyeliner because black is too harsh.  She got a lot of negative feedback for saying that.  

What do you all think?

@Mellie32

Age 40 is now considered "older" ?     Seriously?   

She's 43, I believe.  She always talks about herself as being older.  And she is.  She's older than the 20 somethings.  She's older than the 30 somethings.  Nothing wrong with the word "older" - just factual.

Respected Contributor