Valued Contributor

Im 70 but still do all of the keeping up with beauty and fashion  My eyes wrinkle when putting on eye shadow  Do you think all shadows are the same or is there a miracle?

Honored Contributor

I'm retired now & mostly don't bother.

But when I did use eyeshadow, I would first use foundation on my eyelids

I don't recall the brand, it wasn't expensive but the eye shadow I used was not powder.

It was in a  little pot, like a lip balm.  I would gently dab it around with my finger, dab, blend, dab, blend.   Worked pretty well for me.

It's possible you are using too much.

Respected Contributor

I am 50 and love Eyeshadow too.  I make sure I use a nice eye cream and make sure my skin is plump as possible.  Then I use a eyeshadow base and hope for the best.

Honored Contributor

Re: eye shadows

[ Edited ]

@mollymaggie wrote:

Im 70 but still do all of the keeping up with beauty and fashion  My eyes wrinkle when putting on eye shadow  Do you think all shadows are the same or is there a miracle?

@mollymaggie   Hi. Use an eye shadow primer. Let it dry before using shadow. Just 1 light layer of shadow will do nicely. If you use too much, that's when it'll begin to settle into lines. 

Honored Contributor

You may be dehydrated.......drink more water!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

You will need to experiment a bit. Make sure your cleanser isn't too drying. It always shows up around my eyes first. 

Use an eye moisturizer. Probably nothing that claims to be tightening. They make my eye area look dry, too.

You can use a primer before eye shadow, but some of those are too drying, also. So you may have to try a couple to find one that you like.

I do like to use cream eye shadow sticks. For me, they work really well. I don't use a primer. I apply the color to the lid & then blend it up into the crease & fade it up with a Mac 252 brush. I love the LM Caviar Sticks, but I bought 3 of the newer colors & they are creamier than my other colors & do tend to crease a bit.

The shimmer shades are very pretty & look nice on my old eye lids. A quick easy eye look. Add a liner & some mascara.

Try a few things. Play around. Have fun!

Honored Contributor

@mollymaggie  If your lids are creased or lined, you may want to avoid shimmer/glitter shadows and stay with a matte shadow. Any liner should be very thin or line between the lashes. Hope all these ideas work for you. Stay healthy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am 73 and gradually this past year I've noticed dryer lids even with an eye cream, and eye shadow just doesn't look as nice as it should.  Eye liner pencils were going on like rick-rack no matter how hard I tried to get a smooth, even line, ugh!

With staying at home now I have shortened my beauty routine, so decided to try no eye primer, just a light application of finishing powder over lids first (that had some eye cream before that, allowed to sink in completely). 

Amazingly my eye makeup went on so smoothly, gel eye pencils glided on, a light overall shadow that I had been using looked much better, and it lasted better too, all day with no transfer or smudging.  Wow.  What a surprise!

So for the last 3 weeks I've skipped eye primer which I believe over the past winter with very dry indoor air my eyelids were not liking anyway, and became very dry.  The primer made it worse.

I've had to adjust hair care and skin care and makeup to aging and climate changes!!  Who knew??!

Also, eye shadows are indeed different.  If you touch them with your finger some feel velvety smooth; some feel rough and sandpapery.  Of course go with the smooth ones, finely milled, very little fallout. Satin or matte work best on older skin.

I mostly use Clinique and Lancome shadows, and the new Lancome palettes that I thought were the same as the old one, just a new way to configure them in the palette, have turned out to be super smooth and long lasting and no fallout even with the darker ones that I use as liner or at outer corner or eyes for a bit of definition.  So they have changed for the better, pricey but last forever.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@author Most eye creams are recommended for use under the eyes not on the lid. I'll preach again about eye liner sometimes is better not on the lid, but placed as dashes between lashes. Look for finely milled eye shadows if using a powder. If you prefer, you can use a primer type product that has some color, so it takes away redness and veins in the lid, but can stand alone as a shadow. I use Laura Mercier Eye Basics. MAC also makes one in a pot. Maybe someone has a drugstore suggestion. Concealers do not work for this. They are too oily and will crease. 

Contributor

I like Mally Evercolor Shadow Sticks Extra Velvet. She has two kinds, some with shimmer aand some without. I totally prefer the ones without shimmer as I am 72. The matte sticks are the ones with Velvet on the end of the name. They are sometimes difficult to find online and they are usually $25.00 ea. although they last a long time. They don't crease on my eyes and  they cover the veins on my eyelids. Mostly I use the light shades, a little eyeliner and a little mascara for daytime. For evening or going out, I have a darker shade I use in the crease. So much easier than powder shadows.