Valued Contributor

Re: advice for eyeshadow over 65

I disliked going to beauty counters, too. Yet it's hard to tell from some advice if their version of shimmer is sparkle, or if pearl to one person means sheen to another. I don't like large sparkles that does look like glitter if it falls on the face it's not for me. Yet some shimmer can diffuse lines. If an eyeshadow is too shiney, it can reflect an uneven surface. Matte can look dried up dead, but some formulas are better than others. Same with shimmer, some are too much by having too much reflection. Reading reviews on eyeshadow at makeupalley dotcom might help.

Esteemed Contributor

I read an article in a magazine that mature women should wear lighter eyeshadows on their lids because the skin there darkens as we age.  I do see the difference since I have taken their advice.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps on you it does, first of all 60 is in a senior citizen, and second of all I will be 61 soon and I still wear make up and earrings and nice clothes.

The days of women over a certain age wearing sack cloth and ashes are long gone

@151949 wrote:

My personal opinion is that shiny MU looks ridiculous on a senior woman. Do as ytou please but that is my take on it.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I just turned 67, and I've found that applying makeup is an evolutionary process.  For many years my routine stayed pretty much the same.  One day I looked in the mirror, and I just looked like I had climbed out of my coffin.  I didn't understand what went wrong until I realized the area around my eyes was getting redder. When that happens, you just can't cover it with eyeshadow and expect it to look OK.

I started wearing a shadow base (Mally's works for me), then applying a light greenish shadow on my lids (I have dark green eyes) and a fairly light pink or lavender in the upper crease area.  I also do use a pearl or shimmer in a very pale colored shadow stick or pencil as a highlight across the middle of my lids and in the corners.  I also use a pearly highlighter just under the brow.

This approach has done a lot to keep me looking my most youthful possible.  At a party last Saturday, a woman who is almost 50 herself guessed my age at 52 (I had told her to go ahead and be honest)!  I do warn my friends though, not to ever knock on my door before I've had a chance to put on my face!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Just read this (written by a makeup artist).... "When the color on the lids is too flat or too dense, the eyes recede. Adding a touch of shimmer to the middle of the lids makes your eyes look wider and brighter."   Tried it and she is correct.

Respected Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I have been using the IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Celebration pallette for a year now and really like it.

Me too.  I liked this one so well, I purchased a second one in case they discontinued it.  Perfect matte colors, and I barely touch the brush to them to get the coverage. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'll be 69 in two weeks and at some point years ago I stopped wearing the holiday-type glitzy eye shadows. I never liked the really iridescent shades but wore pearlized shadows sometimes. I like Lancôme eye shadow. The small powders are great. They are true to color, last long, and come in every shade imaginable. I buy the shades individually. I stopped buying the sets of four or more shades because I always wound up wearing only half of them.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Perhaps on you it does, first of all 60 is in a senior citizen, and second of all I will be 61 soon and I still wear make up and earrings and nice clothes.

The days of women over a certain age wearing sack cloth and ashes are long gone

@151949 wrote:

My personal opinion is that shiny MU looks ridiculous on a senior woman. Do as ytou please but that is my take on it.

I agree with you.  There is a distance between Shiny and Matte.  Your natural skin isn't matte.  Look at your arms!  I think a light shimmer is delightful and I see  a lot of "older" ladies around that use it and look wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Since we can't see your coloring or the shape of your eye which determines everything, I'd suggest you visit a cosmetic counter of a brand you like or look for a rep you think looks good.  They have all been trained in makeup artestry.

@ECBG

Excellent suggestion!!!!! 

Macy's would be my go to place for suggestion/recommendations.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:
I do warn my friends though, not to ever knock on my door before I've had a chance to put on my face!

@2blonde

Your comment tickled me as it brought back memories of this........

The street I lived on when I was a teen, we had a female neighbor who was always impeccably dressed w/full makeup & hair done, no matter the time of day or even doing yard work.

One early morning I over heard my father tell my mother that he returned a tool to Mr. XXX & this strange woman answered the door.  My father asked for Mr. XXX & the strange woman said, don't worry xxxxx I'll make sure XXX gets it.

My mother told my father that was MRS XXX w/o her makeup. 

My father----> eek2.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif