Respected Contributor

Re: advice for eyeshadow over 65

I have been using the IT Cosmetics Naturally Pretty Celebration pallette for a year now and really like it. It has a variety of light to dark matte shades. The dark shades can be used as liner for a softer look rather that using liner pencils. I don't feel shimmer looks good on me at my age.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I'm 65 and it's no shimmer or shine for me either, I use Tarte high performance naturals which does have some pearlized colors in it. I am surprised I like bare minerals crushed copper loose eye shadow. Also ,LG's Baked highlighter in French Vanilla I have used for years, I have a lot of redness around my eyes and this neutralizes it. Just be very light handed with any eye shadow you apply, like they say less is more especially after 60.LOL Bye the way I love when they use Joanne the very mature white haired model, she's gorgeous and it gives me an idea how the make up may look on me. I'm not as blessed looks wise as Joanne though.

Esteemed Contributor

I am in the 50++ and holding range and have come to the conclusion that you should wear what you like. I prefer taupes or nudeish pink shaodows with maybe some smokey or shimmer grey or brown in the outer corner or crease. It depends on how much time I have. I really like the Bobbie Brown eye palletes because I like her matte shades She does have some shimmer ones included but I don't prefer them on me for all over my eye. Using them in the corner or the crease  is fine. I'm not a fan of glitter, glimmer or shimmer at this stage but that's just me. I do find that you can tame it down by brushing a bit of a neutral matt color over it. My quickie trick is a swipe of Laura Geller's balance and brighton over it. Works great if you don't have the time to be fussing around with your eye makeup.

Respected Contributor

I think a shadow with a creamy formula in a light color might be a good option.

Milani Shadow Eyez 12 HR Eyeshadow Pencil, Almond Cream

Milani Shadow Eyez 12 HR Eyeshadow Pencil, Almond Cream- .1 oz

Valued Contributor

I have a lot of creases & crepiness, but in my late forties. I find matte ages me and makes me look dry and more wrinkly. Shimmer on the lid "only" helps camouflage the lines. However I don't like anything too reflective from my crease area up as I have a little aging & sun damage there. I think some of my skin damage was only using sunscreen in the morning and thinking I was good for the day. I know better now.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I am in my 60's also - just got the Tarte "Make them Stare" eyeshadow sticks this week in the mail - the only one that is shiny is the cream for under the brow.  There is a taupe stick in there that is just perfect - goes on matte and stays all day.  Love Tarte and love these sticks.  I've gotten Tarte glittersticks before and they are just too glittery.  There is a purple, green, taupe, cream and brown (which I put in my crease above the taupe). 

I agree...women over 60 should stay away from the glittery eye colors.  Even when I was young, I wore matte...I was never fond of glitter on the face, body.

Honored Contributor

Since we can't see your coloring or the shape of your eye which determines everything, I'd suggest you visit a cosmetic counter of a brand you like or look for a rep you think looks good.  They have all been trained in makeup artestry.

Super Contributor

The butter london palettes that I am looking at have 3 matte and 3 "sheen" I am wondering if sheen=pearl=too much. They are really lovely and you can replace the eyeshadows. I love that they are reusable with other colors.

on Nordstroms.

I am very reluctant togo to a counter- not everyone is so nice to an older woman, and they all want to sell. I do know one man who sells at Chanel and one woman who sells at  Clarins but I would not go to a counter and let them make me over, and try to sell me $$$$ of products.

just want to see what the consensus is on pearl, sheen , matte, etc for the older woman, and I thank everybody who replied.

Respected Contributor

I am 69 and fair skin, blue/green eyes and have definitely changed my makeup this year, including much less shimmer.  For eyeshadows I got the Basics Urban Decay small palette that has neutrals as a beginning.  It took awhile for me to get used to the soft look but now I love it.  

This fall I got the Urban Decay Naked Palette 3, rose tones, and wow, they are lovely.  Very subdued, some have a bit of shimmer, some coppery ones, and a great deep matte taupe for liner or at the outer corners.  

Every day I play with this and have found a touch of shimmer on upper lids or center lid right above eyeliner works great to get rid of the all-matte sometimes dead or dirty looking result!!  But I don't do overall shimmer anymore, just a highlight and not every day.

I don't use deep colored shadows anymore as they look a bit harsh on older eyes. I never wore shimmery jewel tones.

I also got the Lancome holiday city palette and it is very nice and sheer as well, soft muted tones, some shimmer, but a nice mix.  Elegant sophisticated shades.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm 66.  All I know is what works for me and my eyes.  I just smooth one color across my lids - usually a crayon type and always a taupe/gray with no glimmer or sparkle.  Then, right in the middle of each lid, I apply a swipe of a light color - also a crayon and this time a light beige or pink.   The lighter color in the middle of my lids makes my old eyes look less "hooded" - people can see more of my lids and they look more rounded. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt