Honored Contributor

Re: advice for eyeshadow over 65

@River Song wrote:

Another vote for Urban Decay eye shadows, particularly the satin and shimmer finishes.  Some of the shimmer colors are very nice without all the pieces of glitter, just a nice luminous sheen without being over-the-top sparkly.

For anyone looking for an eyeshadow color to use as an eyeliner but don't want a harsh blackest-black, take a look at Urban Decay's single eye shadow "Desperation".  It's a satin finish grayish taupe brown (their description), looks like medium gray in the container but soft gray-black when applied.  Black eyeliner is too harsh for my old eyes but this eye shadow color is perfect as an eyeliner.  Another great taupe matte eyeliner color is Estee Lauder's "Truffle", very soft and subtle.

A great neutral color is Urban Decay's single eye shadow "Sellout".  It's a shimmer finish pinky champagne (their description).  It has a luminous sheen but no glitter pieces and it looks great just on the lid for a soft sheen to open up the eye.

I have this shade in their eyeliner pencil and love it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Tarte A260820, special edition amazonian clay palette. It has some matte and some  pearl shadows, and the colors are in the neutral palette. I also like Bare Minerals Bare Skin eye shadow, in the matte version. A lot of matte shadows are not flattering on me (looks like dirt, as another poster said!), so after I apply the shadow, I slightly wet the brush and then brush over the shadow. It gives a little bit of a sheen, which I like. Today I just bought Urban Decay moondust shadow in the color of Solstice. These shadows have glitter, but it is such a fine texture it is kind of fun to use. I put it on first, then take a matte shadow and brush it over, so it looks very pretty. BTW..I am over 60.

Respected Contributor

A lot depends on if you have crepey lids, hooded lids or how your eyes are--but I get good results with Too Faced Shadows. They have some pearlized shadows that are flattering and the colors can be very subtle. They have eye cards for how to apply them. Mally's neutral palette and its accompanying booklet is also good, but I really like the Too Faced shadows. I don't wear glitter at all, but I like some shimmer. I'm 64. 

Valued Contributor

I'm 61 and I love SKINN eyeshadows. The Luxe pallettes are my favorite. I love the smudge sticks for eyes - I use these for my liner also.
Esteemed Contributor

I use Laura Geller's baked eye dreams pallet in "Sandbar". Surely you've heard the expression "as you get older it takes twice as long to look half as good". I wore very very little makeup into adulthood. I was referred to as "a natural beauty". At 70, I have gotten so pale that I found I must use a bit. I like the Sandbar collection because it is just shadows which is my take on eye shadow. No color really.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

i have a 69 year old friend who has beautiful skin who never wears any makeup, but needs some color.

i will tell you what i told her my philosophy is.  older women should always use cream everything!  and one of them is cream eyeshadow.  much more flattering on the older eye.  pick the color that you like and suits you in a cream and you won't be sorry.

powders on older skin don't do anyone any favors.