Trusted Contributor
People used to stop me constantly and ask what I was wearing when I used to wear the original formula. When I was on the elevators at work, at least once a day someone would ask me, a man working in a supermarket was following me and I began to get nervous but then he apologized and said I just love your perfume, can you please tell me what it is so I can buy it for my girlfriend. Then one day a taxi driver said I love how you smell, would you please do me a favor and write down the name of the perfume and where I can buy it for my wife. They were only a few stories from all the years I wore the original fragrance. But unfortunately those days are gone since the formula has changed. I can't tell you how much I miss my original signature fragrance. It's truly a shame what they have done to something that smelled so beautiful. And I can't believe that Tova would go on air praising this watered down fragrance that smells terrible, nothing like the original and it doesn't last like the original either. I believe people who say they love it now, never experienced the original formula.
Respected Contributor

I used to wear TOVA many years ago. Then it changed, and I didn't purchase again. Has it been said what was changed, and why? Can they not change it back? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to know. Thanks

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Occasional Contributor
On 10/3/2014 Mistic said:

I used to wear TOVA many years ago. Then it changed, and I didn't purchase again. Has it been said what was changed, and why? Can they not change it back? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I want to know. Thanks

Thank you for expressing exactly my feelings, Mistic! I wore Tova Signature for many years, always getting compliments from my students, others at work, and even in stores, etc. Then it suddenly changed and we went through those nightmare years of begging for the original, only to be given every excuse possible. It does not last at all anymore.... I miss it so much as it was truly special to me personally. Tova is a lovely lady, but she lost my trust when she claimed the Signature was back in the original formula many times. I would like to know what was done too....

Super Contributor

Availability and cost of product ingredients change. If she can't create it the way it used to be, I'm sorry to put it this way but Quit whining people. She has a contract with QVC she likely can't divulge the deep dark secret of why its different now. Get over it and try something new. Enjoy life and stop fretting about what was but can no longer be.

Occasional Contributor
On 10/3/2014 WillEscapeCAsoon said:

Availability and cost of product ingredients change. If she can't create it the way it used to be, I'm sorry to put it this way but Quit whining people. She has a contract with QVC she likely can't divulge the deep dark secret of why its different now. Get over it and try something new. Enjoy life and stop fretting about what was but can no longer be.

Not whining - just asking for honesty. If it can't be made as it was originally, don't say it is the same. Her NAME should mean something to her. I am not fretting - have not posted for a year or more, but this post caught my attention. (And I enjoy life just fine, thank you.)

Respected Contributor

I wasn't aware that I was "whining/fretting." LOL

I asked a question as to why it can't still be made the way the original was. If it is due to an ingredient that is no longer available, just say so. Or, if the "special" ingredient costs more, charge more. Those who really loved the scent will be willing to pay the extra $$$.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Trusted Contributor
On 10/3/2014 luvtoshopathome said: People used to stop me constantly and ask what I was wearing when I used to wear the original formula. When I was on the elevators at work, at least once a day someone would ask me, a man working in a supermarket was following me and I began to get nervous but then he apologized and said I just love your perfume, can you please tell me what it is so I can buy it for my girlfriend. Then one day a taxi driver said I love how you smell, would you please do me a favor and write down the name of the perfume and where I can buy it for my wife. They were only a few stories from all the years I wore the original fragrance. But unfortunately those days are gone since the formula has changed. I can't tell you how much I miss my original signature fragrance. It's truly a shame what they have done to something that smelled so beautiful. And I can't believe that Tova would go on air praising this watered down fragrance that smells terrible, nothing like the original and it doesn't last like the original either. I believe people who say they love it now, never experienced the original formula.

It's funny how fragrance, like fashion, is such a personal preference. I know women that LOVED the original TOVA fragrance, and like you, were devastated when the formula changed. As for me...........I hated it! LOL To me, it smelled like Raid insect killer. And my signature fragrance is Coco Chanel, and I know women that can't stand it. It's funny how our noses smell things so differently.

Super Contributor

Again, Major reasons why the Original Tova will never be back:

1. IFRA regulations, restrictions, edicts. They are outlawing and restricting how much (amount) natural oils can be used in perfumery and which ones can and cannot be used. More get thrown by the wayside every year and are forbidden.

All perfumes have had their formulas altered and changed. None are the same since the 90's. Even more changes came as late as 2012. None of the perfumers will tell you so, they do not want to lose money when and if people stop buying. That's why you see so many "flankers". Example (made up): 'Heat' Then you'll soon see 'Summer Heat', 'Ode de Heat', 'Winter Heat', 'Flowers of Heat' and on and on. Same basic formula as the first, with just an ingredient or 2 thrown in to re-brand and marketed, because of the ingredient restrictions and move to most or all synthetic oils.

2. Cost. Yes, cost of perfume making has gone up, but let's face it. Wouldn't you ladies pay $100+/100ml of the Original Tova instead of the $35 it used to be? So cost is really a moot point. Mark up on perfume is high and they will make their profit no matter what. It is a matter of how much more profit.

3. Yes Q at one time bought the name and rights to Tova's company. I don't now if they still retain all rights though. It was a conscious decision to change the Tova formula when they did, even before IFRA severely restricted some natural oils. Profit margin. They owned the name and formula and all rights to it.

4. Ingredients are not rare and hard to get, they are restricted. Perfumes are tested before they go on the market and must meet the standards. But get this, it is voluntary to comply to IFRA . But they (perfume houses) all do and the US as well as the EU signed on to comply. So in essence, the amount of real jasmine that was in Tova cannot be used any more by voluntary compliance. Synthetic oils (which are not costly) are probably used now and that's why Tova smells the way it does today. That's also why there are many more fruity perfumes out there. Synthetics.

IFRA reasoning for the bans on natural material that was used for centuries is ...allergies. Some people are allergic to the oils. Which of course is just bee es and a cover story. People are allergic to many things and they aren't banned. I'm allergic to many of those substitute, smell-like synthetic oils- which many of them have never been tested to see results if they are carcinogenic or not or what harm they may cause topically.

So, it is true. The Original Tova will never be back.

Honored Contributor

I can't stand Coco Chanel. Almost makes me sick. People said that the new Tova smells like Raid. They haven't smelled the original Tova I guess. Raid isn't sweet. I am so thru with Tova. I'm not whining, but something needed to be said. OP said it. Simple as that. Yep, there are other things, enjoy life and all that. But right now we're talking about what used to be, a perfume we loved, which is now gone into the vintage fragrances we'll never smell again. So be it. It was nice while it 'lasted.'

Esteemed Contributor

I have never worn Tova's fragrances, but used to use her old Cactine Mascara. Last night during an awake period Tova was on and presented mascara again. I was a little sleepy, but I think she stated that it was the old formula with upgrades. The old formula was good enough for me to put this version on my list to try.