Honored Contributor

You'll get shamed no matter what you do. So just do what you want. 🤷

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor
I would be fooling myself if I believe all the lotions and potions will make me look many years younger. I am simply trying to maintain the skin I have. I am 63 and when I was a kid I fried my skin in the sun until it peeled many times. I feel fortunate that I don't have some form of skin cancer.
Valued Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

If it makes someone feel better about themselves, that's all that matters.  When you feel good about yourself, it shows.

@GCR18  Even if you look in the mirror and after hundreds of dollars, see no change? I’d feel “taken”.

You probably wouldn't feel good about yourself then.   If you buy cremes and such and it makes you feel good about yourself, that's all that matters.  

If buying creams and potions were what made me have self esteem and feel good about myself, I would seriously re-examine my value system. That’s not all that matters.

No one is saying that's all that matters.  And no one is saying their entire self worth is tied into their looks.  However, it makes a big difference to some women and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

There is nothing wrong with a woman taking pride in her appearance and to some that means getting their hair colored, wearing make-up, taking care of their skin, buying nice clothing, etc. 

I definitely feel better about myself when I have a better outward appearance.  And let's face it, you are on the beauty forum of this board.  LOL

To answer the OP's question, I don't worry about what other women choose to spend their money on.  They can do as they wish. 

I swear that some complaining about what women are spending their money on are the same ones falling for every product coming down the pike and/or are continually recommending all kinds of various products they try.        

@Lipstickdiva the times I come here to read, your posts always seem to be readibg my mind and you say what I am thinking. LOL

IMO, I don't think some of these statements are very fair saying things about self worth being tied to beauty (loosely translated). I have always liked nice beauty products for my hair, face and body since I was a kid. Never felt that I needed them to be noticed or valued, I just liked them. I like to indulge in a nice bath with pleasant smelling scents, spread lovely body butters on my skin and cleanse and treat my face with nice products. Does any of it make me look younger, fool anyone about my age, give me more value as a woman? Nope. I just like it and on days when I may not feel well and can't wash my hair, shower or even put on a coat of mascara, I feel crummy. TO ME. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

If it makes someone feel better about themselves, that's all that matters.  When you feel good about yourself, it shows.

@GCR18  Even if you look in the mirror and after hundreds of dollars, see no change? I’d feel “taken”.

You probably wouldn't feel good about yourself then.   If you buy cremes and such and it makes you feel good about yourself, that's all that matters.  

@GCR18  Seriously?

I have no idea what you are talking about.  LOL.  I think maybe you are reading more into my post than there is.  You have yourself a good day. 

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

@GCR18  Seriously?

I have no idea what you are talking about.  LOL.  I think maybe you are reading more into my post than there is.  You have yourself a good day. 

I undertand what you're saying @GCR18 and agree with you completely.

Esteemed Contributor

When I see those before and afters no matter whose brand it is, I instantly think photoshop's blurring tool.

Super Contributor

The photo of Ann is a few years old... I think her skin looks healthy as she's aging gently.

Valued Contributor

@TY wrote:

When I see those before and afters no matter whose brand it is, I instantly think photoshop's blurring tool.

That's EXACTLY what it is. SO many women fall for it. Josie's (false) claims about her skincare line is SUCH a LOL!

Honored Contributor

I  am sure we (women) will continue to spend money on skincare whether large amounts or small amounts.  If you have trust in the products you use that is what matters.  However, some vendors talk like their products perform miracles.  The only thing close to a miracle is going under the knife and sometimes that does not work out.  I know I will continue to keep my chin up and use the products that make me feel good and give me some type of slight results. Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I think women want to look good no matter what age they are and if it means spending a little money for product, than so be it. I try everything because I can, I don't think any of it will defy gravity, but my skin is fairly firm and wrinkle free for someone 68 years old. My Mom used drug store brands her whole life and she had the most beautiful skin, but again her creams did not defy gravity. I probably could get away with spending much less and get the same results from drug store brands too. The before and afters on any beauty show at the Q IMO are questionable, I don't buy a product because of those photos, I want to know the measured results.