Respected Contributor

Eyeliner-top/bottom or both ??

I know, 'to each his/her own' etc...but for myself, I can not understand for the life of me why some people put eyeliner just under their bottom lashes...AND NONE ON THE TOP !!  In my opinion, it doesn't frame your eyes at all and makes it look like you ran out of liner !  Come to think about it, I've never seen any of the beauty vendors line just the bottom of the eyes.  I just can't figure it out.

Valued Contributor

Re: Eyeliner-top/bottom or both ??

Personal preference is the reason.

Esteemed Contributor

Black liner on top, khaki green or light brown under outer  1/3 of lower lashes. Hazel eyes, light complexion, dark hair and brows.

Works for me!

Super Contributor

For the life of you...why do you care?

Esteemed Contributor

I happen to have big eyes that pop too much when I line my upper lash line.I was advised by a couple of makeup artists to only line my lower lash line. My eyes look great & I happen to get a lot of compliments!!

Because something looks good on you it doesn’t mean it will look good on everybody.

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

I know, 'to each his/her own' etc...but for myself, I can not understand for the life of me why some people put eyeliner just under their bottom lashes...AND NONE ON THE TOP !!  In my opinion, it doesn't frame your eyes at all and makes it look like you ran out of liner !  Come to think about it, I've never seen any of the beauty vendors line just the bottom of the eyes.  I just can't figure it out.

@sarahpanda   It’s certainly personal preference, but after a certain age, everything starts heading south. It’s beneficial to have makeup bring your features “up” and “out”...hence the winged liner. My preference is a very light line of medium tone shadow if you feel you need something under bottom lashes....not a dark, obvious liner. If you have any undereye darkness, bags or sagging, lining under the eye draws attention to that. You’re correct, lining just the bottom is usually never done. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I wear eye makeup, which is not often, I line under the lower lashes lightly with a powder shadow.  I use mascara just on the top.

My upper lids just aren't that visible and things just get smeary.

I'll revisit it, though.  See what happens.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I never apply liner to the bottom...because, inevitably, that's where some of my upper liner seems to always end up...lol!Woman LOL Guess you can call this 'automatic eye liner' LOL!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I only line the top.  I used to line top and bottom.  Then I started to do the top all the way across but only about 1/4 to a 1/2 way on the bottom.

Then I saw a photo of myself and decided I hated the bottom liner on me.  I have dark circles and I think it accentuates them.  And even though I have large eyes, I felt like lining the bottom at all made them look smaller.

For me personally, I've never liked just bottom liner.  I have seen people do this and to my eye, I always think they look like they need liner on the top.  Almost like they forgot to line the top.

Honored Contributor

I use an eyeline pencil. I like the smudged look. It looks more natural and really highlights my eyes. I use it darker along my upper lashes and smudge a bit underneath my bottom lashes to give my eyes depth. 

"Pure Michigan"