Honored Contributor

Re: What is so bad about silicone in hair products?

On 7/18/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 7/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Not all silicones cause build-up. I use WEN, which doesn't have harsh detergents that might remove all silicones. Because of that, I look for non-water-soluble silicones in products. That's trickier than it sounds, because some non-water-soluble silicones become water-soluble when combined with other ingredients.<br /> <br /> Do some Google searches and you'll get a lot of information back about the different kinds of silicones. Or, if you don't seem to have any problems with them, don't do any and go on about things the way you are now because silicones seem to be working for you.

ChynnaBlue, I think you must mean that you look for water-soluble silicones. Those are not easy to find, but they are the ones that will wash out more easily.

Non-water-silicones, which are the primary ones used in products, do not wash out easily and really require harsher ingredients to do the trick.

You're right! I'll edit that. I wrote out the whole post and then hit a key that took me backwards and deleted my post, so I had to re-enter the whole thing. (I just did it again, too! I must have shifted my keyboard so I'm all over the place.)

Super Contributor

Silicones give you that false sense of having "healthy, shiny hair". They coat the hair and build up even though you don't realize it. The really bad thing is they only way to remove them from your hair is using a shampoo with sulfates. That starts a very toxic cycle.

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Not all silicones cause build-up. I use WEN, which doesn't have harsh detergents that might remove all silicones. Because of that, I look for non-water-soluble silicones in products. That's trickier than it sounds, because some non-water-soluble silicones become water-soluble when combined with other ingredients.<br /> <br /> Do some Google searches and you'll get a lot of information back about the different kinds of silicones. Or, if you don't seem to have any problems with them, don't do any and go on about things the way you are now because silicones seem to be working for you.

ChynnaBlue, I think you must mean that you look for water-soluble silicones. Those are not easy to find, but they are the ones that will wash out more easily.

Non-water-silicones, which are the primary ones used in products, do not wash out easily and really require harsher ingredients to do the trick.

You're right! I'll edit that. I wrote out the whole post and then hit a key that took me backwards and deleted my post, so I had to re-enter the whole thing. (I just did it again, too! I must have shifted my keyboard so I'm all over the place.)

You know what? I've done that, and it is so darn annoying. It's a demon key, I tell ya.

Anyway, I had a feeling you had just accidentally reversed the "water" and "non-water" types.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Does anyone know if there is a list somewhere of water soluble silicon products? Maybe I do not have a problem because I switch off from sulfate to sulfate free shampoos all the time? I have so much shampoo I can shampoo with a different product every day for 3 weeks Im guessing lol

Respected Contributor

On 7/18/2014 expatgal said:

Silicones give you that false sense of having "healthy, shiny hair". They coat the hair and build up even though you don't realize it. The really bad thing is they only way to remove them from your hair is using a shampoo with sulfates. That starts a very toxic cycle.

That sounds a lot like pantene color protect volume ( I think its called) Hair feels coated but looks and feels good

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 ibb38 said:

Silicone- for me anyway- gives the false illusion that my hair is well conditioned and healthy. It jsut provides a coating rather that doing anything to benefit the hair. Most products have some- but if it's too much it's also impossible to rinse from my hair!

ITA

I avoid silicones in hair products.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 kcladyz said:

That sounds a lot like pantene color protect volume ( I think its called) Hair feels coated but looks and feels good

Pantene is FULL of cones.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Icegoddess said:

Many silicones require a sulfate-based shampoo to remove from your hair, so buildup can be a problem for those of us who use only sulfate-free shampoos.

It does protect hair from heat-styling products, so there can be a benefit besides the false illusion of healthy, shiny hair that ibb38 referred to.

That's not true. Shampoo, whether it's sulfate or non-sulfate, is designed to remove buildup, including oils. Silicones are synthetic oils.

If a shampoo does not remove silicone buildup, it's a bad shampoo.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/18/2014 winamac1 said:
On 7/18/2014 kcladyz said:

Pantene is FULL of cones.

That's why it's such a good, effective product!

When I used Pantene Curly, the shampoo was so moisturizing, I could detangle my hair. It removed all buildup in one application.

The conditioner was great as a rinse out, deep conditioner and leave-in.

It was my staple for years until I discovered Wen.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Frequent Contributor

From what I understand, silicones coat the hair and prevent your other, more hydrating products from being taken in to the hair. So it's not just a coating or buildup that's annoying, it also prohibits your other products from working more efficiently. I've never fully researched the topic, so I hope I'm right Smiley Happy