Respected Contributor

What is so bad about silicone in hair products?

I never had a problem with residue or buildup then again I never use the same shampoo 2 days in a row.

Super Contributor

Re: What is so bad about silicone in hair products?

I'm like you ... I have several products there and I switch each day. Just on a whim ... I pick up a different product from the shelf. I'm happy with my hair.

Once a week I clarify to remove any excess anything.

Honored Contributor

This reminds me to thank the ladies on this board... used baking soda in my new shampoo (which really doesn't work as well as the discontinued old). Love it! So many thanks!

I don't know why silicone is bad for hair!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Silicone- for me anyway- gives the false illusion that my hair is well conditioned and healthy. It jsut provides a coating rather that doing anything to benefit the hair. Most products have some- but if it's too much it's also impossible to rinse from my hair!

Honored Contributor

Many silicones require a sulfate-based shampoo to remove from your hair, so buildup can be a problem for those of us who use only sulfate-free shampoos.

It does protect hair from heat-styling products, so there can be a benefit besides the false illusion of healthy, shiny hair that ibb38 referred to.

Esteemed Contributor

I can see the 'protection from heat' aspect of silicones for some - I air dry my hair 95% of the time, though.

Super Contributor

On 7/18/2014 ibb38 said:

Silicone- for me anyway- gives the false illusion that my hair is well conditioned and healthy. It jsut provides a coating rather that doing anything to benefit the hair. Most products have some- but if it's too much it's also impossible to rinse from my hair!

The hair on your head is dead. All any product does is coat it.

Honored Contributor

Not all silicones cause build-up. I use WEN, which doesn't have harsh detergents that might remove all silicones. Because of that, I look for water-soluble silicones in products. That's trickier than it sounds, because some non-water-soluble silicones become water-soluble when combined with other ingredients.

Do some Google searches and you'll get a lot of information back about the different kinds of silicones. Or, if you don't seem to have any problems with them, don't do any and go on about things the way you are now because silicones seem to be working for you.

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 sun8shine said:
On 7/18/2014 ibb38 said:

The hair on your head is dead. All any product does is coat it.

That's probably very true, sun8shine, but silicones (and many polyquaterniums, for that matter) are difficult to remove from the hair. The majority of silicones (under a variety of names) are not water soluble, so only sulfates (and other equally harsh ingredients) will remove them.

I am using the curly girl method, although I modify it somewhat because I do use shampoo (non-sulfate). The method also recommends no styling products with silicone and no heat drying. I do the latter two now.

It's not easy to find good styling products without silicone, but I have some that I like very much.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

Not all silicones cause build-up. I use WEN, which doesn't have harsh detergents that might remove all silicones. Because of that, I look for non-water-soluble silicones in products. That's trickier than it sounds, because some non-water-soluble silicones become water-soluble when combined with other ingredients.

Do some Google searches and you'll get a lot of information back about the different kinds of silicones. Or, if you don't seem to have any problems with them, don't do any and go on about things the way you are now because silicones seem to be working for you.

ChynnaBlue, I think you must mean that you look for water-soluble silicones. Those are not easy to find, but they are the ones that will wash out more easily.

Non-water-silicones, which are the primary ones used in products, do not wash out easily and really require harsher ingredients to do the trick.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland