Frequent Contributor

Is it appropriate to celebrate family members' birthdays at a wedding reception?

My friend recently was married and her sister asked her before the reception if they could have a cake and sing happy bday for the nieces and nephew.

My friend agreed only to regret it later when she suspected that her sister was "sabotaging" her day.

I didn't think it was inappropriate at first, but the more I think about it, I can see why a bride may be upset.

I think she should leave it alone and move on.

What do you think?

Respected Contributor

I think a wedding day is for the bride and groom only, not the rest of the family to celebrate other things like a birthday that could have been done at another time.

I think this was taking away from the wedding/reception and not at all appropriate. I think whoever asked the bride to do this was doing something for herself and not thinking of the bride at all.

Just my opinion but I don't think this was at all appropriate, selfish on the part of the other person.

Super Contributor

RLL, where in heaven's name do you get these absurd posts of yours? It seems like you get bored and drop by the forum with a "hypothetical" "my friend" scenario. It just seems so sad. And after the OP you will "disappear" from the thread and not be heard from again until another "friend" has an odd experience.

Super Contributor

What I think is it's time for the Op's next essay or blog post & we're supposed to be her guinea pigs lol

Super Contributor
On 6/24/2014 doglover3 said:

I think a wedding day is for the bride and groom only, not the rest of the family to celebrate other things like a birthday that could have been done at another time.

I think this was taking away from the wedding/reception and not at all appropriate. I think whoever asked the bride to do this was doing something for herself and not thinking of the bride at all.

Just my opinion but I don't think this was at all appropriate, selfish on the part of the other person.

Hi, Doglover3! You do realize, don't you, that this scenario never actually happened? It's all fiction!

Valued Contributor

NM

Super Contributor
On 6/24/2014 Irishrose136 said:

Hi, Doglover3! You do realize, don't you, that this scenario never actually happened? It's all fiction!

Bears repeating.

Respected Contributor

sorry I didn't or wouldn't have replied but thanks for letting me know.

Honored Contributor

Well, they did at one of mine. They also celebrated D-Day (which it was)......and everything else they could think of once they started drinking............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor
On 6/25/2014 doglover3 said:

sorry I didn't or wouldn't have replied but thanks for letting me know.

No problem. When I was new here, I fell for one of RLL's threads - thought her psychiatrist had fallen asleep. Oh my, what to do? Some well-intentioned posters gave me scoop.

Just trying to "pay it forward"! Smiley Happy