Contributor

Re: Wen lawsuit about hair loss

I seem to remember numerous hair loss claims regarding Pantene back in the 90s.  My hair stylist at the time hated Pantene because it left a "waxy build up" on the hair and caused issues when perming and coloring.  I never had an issue with Pantene, but I think some people are more sensitive to ingredients in hair and skin products than others. 

I do think that they need to research Wen a bit more before filing a suit.  If they can't nail down a specific ingredient, I don't think that they will have much of a case because there are so many people that do not have a problem with it. 

I truly think it must be some sort of an allergic reaction that people are having with it. In my opinion, if you have burning, itching or hair loss, stop using the product and see if the condition goes away. Don't sue someone.

Respected Contributor

I can not wait till the lawsuit is over,  scientists on both sides do all the testing or what ever, and the end results made public so  the subject will be closed.  This is one subject noone ever agrees on at qvc.

But I think it has hurt his business for he is offering 20% off his website probaly to boost sales.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StacyCrane wrote:

I seem to remember numerous hair loss claims regarding Pantene back in the 90s.  My hair stylist at the time hated Pantene because it left a "waxy build up" on the hair and caused issues when perming and coloring.  I never had an issue with Pantene, but I think some people are more sensitive to ingredients in hair and skin products than others. 

I do think that they need to research Wen a bit more before filing a suit.  If they can't nail down a specific ingredient, I don't think that they will have much of a case because there are so many people that do not have a problem with it. 

I truly think it must be some sort of an allergic reaction that people are having with it. In my opinion, if you have burning, itching or hair loss, stop using the product and see if the condition goes away. Don't sue someone.

I was one of those Pantene people back in the 90s. I was in College so had enough hair for 5 women. So losing it didn't matter as much and you know what I did?  Stopped using it. There were other girls in my dorm that complained about it as well. Switched to that awesome smelling Salon Selectives.  Thought I would try it again last year and it did the exact same thing.  There is just something in Pantene that my hair hates but not suing the company anytime soon. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kcladyz wrote:

I can not wait till the lawsuit is over,  scientists on both sides do all the testing or what ever, and the end results made public so  the subject will be closed.  This is one subject noone ever agrees on at qvc.

But I think it has hurt his business for he is offering 20% off his website probaly to boost sales.  

He has  20% off sales on his website.  Usually around black friday and the holidays. It happens, has happened and will happen again. 

Honored Contributor

@segrl21 wrote:

@kcladyz wrote:

He has  20% off sales on his website.  Usually around black friday and the holidays. It happens, has happened and will happen again. 

@segrl21

Absolutely!  Heart

#notonethindime

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@segrl21 wrote:

@kcladyz wrote:

@segrl21

Absolutely!  Heart

#notonethindime

@Drythe & @segrl21, yup, it's one of his annual sales. Thank you, Chaz!! -- bebe Smiley Happy

#notonethindime  #IAmTeamWen

Contributor

Super Contributor

The difference between THOSE other products and WEN is they DO NOT instruct you to apply and leave the product in your hair after the second rinse. The ingredient I'm citing is a preservative and is deemed "SAFE" but the requirement is it must be rinsed away.

Other HIGH concerns: Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs); Other LOW concerns: Data gaps, Ecotoxicology, Neurotoxicity

About METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE: Methylisothiazolinone is a widely-used preservative; has been associated with allergic reactions. Lab studies on the brain cells of mammals also suggest that methylisothiazolinone may be neurotoxic.

Function(s): Preservative

Allergies/immunotoxicity Concern Reference

Known human immune toxicant or allergenEuropean SCCS
Human skin toxicant or allergen - strong evidenceCosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments
Human sensitizer toxicant or allergen - strong evidenceBurnett CL, Bergfeld WF, et al
Human toxicant or allergen - moderate evidenceM D Lundov, T Krongaard, T L Menné & J D Johansen
One or more human case studies show significant skin or allergenic effectsChang MW, Nakrani R
Limited evidence of immune system toxicity or allergiesNational Library of Medicine HazMap
Super Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@RU4 real wrote:

@Bella Carro wrote:
On 3/20/2015 Still Raining said:

Right up there with the lawsuit some years ago by the escaped prisoner who hid from the law somewhere outside in the cold and got frostbite and sued the state because they didn't find him sooner.

LOL! And, a very wise statement.

Chemically speaking, I do not see one ingredient that would cause hair loss. If a user is allergic to an ingredient that's another story. I recently had a reaction to a cleanser a Bare Minerals retp rec'd to me while at Ulta. I stupidly did not stop use immediately believing it was minor. Two days later and I looked like a tomato. Had to go to the dr, get a scrip for oral and topical steroids. Who is at fault? The majority of the population who use that cleanser have no issues with it. I had an allergic reaction and it was my responsibility to be smart enough to stop using it. But, initially I wasn't. Still my fault.

So, should I abandon my part in it, scavenge around beauty boards and find a few others who had an allergic reaction to that same cleanser, grab a lawyer or two and file a suit? I guess some will.

There is one specific ingredient I'm quite concerned about

METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE/

Which is in amillion other shampoo and  conditioners including suave, Pantene,pureology, alterna, nick Chavez, etc even in Nioxin which is for hair loss! So please make sure you post your concerns about this ingredient on ALL those threads that contain hair products with this ingredient. Lol, somehow I don't think you I'll though.,,

@HappyDaze  @RU4 real

You are SO right Happy.  D nise is very discriminatory as to the "FACTS" she chooses to post, and the "Facts" she chooses to omit!  She also mentioned just the other day that she was "going back to good "ole Nic." ~shrug~

@And for the poster @NYwoman,

NOH8

Look, is that hair I see on his arms?  Well, I'll be!  Sure looks like it to me!

NOT ONE THIN DIME!!!!

#Iamteamwen  #notonethindime

I expressed a concern and offered a link... some read way too much into it and offered MY opion.

The difference between THOSE other products and WEN is they DO NOT instruct you to apply and leave the product in your hair after the second rinse. The ingredient I'm citing is a preservative and is deemed "SAFE" but the requirement is it must be rinsed away.

Other HIGH concerns: Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs); Other LOW concerns: Data gaps, Ecotoxicology, Neurotoxicity

About METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE: Methylisothiazolinone is a widely-used preservative; has been associated with allergic reactions. Lab studies on the brain cells of mammals also suggest that methylisothiazolinone may be neurotoxic.

Function(s): Preservative

Allergies/immunotoxicity Concern Reference

Known human immune toxicant or allergenEuropean SCCS
Human skin toxicant or allergen - strong evidenceCosmetic Ingredient Review Assessments
Human sensitizer toxicant or allergen - strong evidenceBurnett CL, Bergfeld WF, et al
Human toxicant or allergen - moderate evidenceM D Lundov, T Krongaard, T L Menné & J D Johansen
One or more human case studies show significant skin or allergenic effectsChang MW, Nakrani R
Limited evidence of immune system toxicity or allergiesNational Library of Medicine HazMap

Super Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@RU4 real wrote:

@Bella Carro wrote:
On 3/20/2015 Still Raining said:

Right up there with the lawsuit some years ago by the escaped prisoner who hid from the law somewhere outside in the cold and got frostbite and sued the state because they didn't find him sooner.

LOL! And, a very wise statement.

Chemically speaking, I do not see one ingredient that would cause hair loss. If a user is allergic to an ingredient that's another story. I recently had a reaction to a cleanser a Bare Minerals retp rec'd to me while at Ulta. I stupidly did not stop use immediately believing it was minor. Two days later and I looked like a tomato. Had to go to the dr, get a scrip for oral and topical steroids. Who is at fault? The majority of the population who use that cleanser have no issues with it. I had an allergic reaction and it was my responsibility to be smart enough to stop using it. But, initially I wasn't. Still my fault.

So, should I abandon my part in it, scavenge around beauty boards and find a few others who had an allergic reaction to that same cleanser, grab a lawyer or two and file a suit? I guess some will.

There is one specific ingredient I'm quite concerned about

METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE/

Which is in amillion other shampoo and  conditioners including suave, Pantene,pureology, alterna, nick Chavez, etc even in Nioxin which is for hair loss! So please make sure you post your concerns about this ingredient on ALL those threads that contain hair products with this ingredient. Lol, somehow I don't think you I'll though.,,

@HappyDaze  @RU4 real

You are SO right Happy.  D nise is very discriminatory as to the "FACTS" she chooses to post, and the "Facts" she chooses to omit!  She also mentioned just the other day that she was "going back to good "ole Nic." ~shrug~

@And for the poster @NYwoman,

NOH8

Look, is that hair I see on his arms?  Well, I'll be!  Sure looks like it to me!

NOT ONE THIN DIME!!!!

#Iamteamwen  #notonethindime

Lol strange because on another thread she said she was going back to Ojon. I know most if not all of ojon and Nick's contain it so if  she truly is concerned about that ingredient she shouldn't use those. Lol

I had a little Ojon left I'd used while I waited for the I Nick odered to come in. You are exactly right... I wasn't aware at the time I made the post. I found a shampoo and conditioner "Acure" that doesn't have those ingredients I'm concerned about. Interesting discovery, in the past couple of weeks... I don't have nearly as much hair coming out.