Super Contributor

It isn't only tea tree oil that's toxic, there are other essential oils to be cautious of as well.

Essential Oil Knowledge for Cat Owners

We started looking for natural remedies to our cats' problems, including fleas, allergies and mood swings, after realizing that our kitties were very sensitive to some of the chemical treatments we had been given at the vet. As soon as we opened a tube of Advantage, even if it was in another room, our cat P. Kitty would be nowhere in sight. But while researching holistic pet products, we learned that not all natural remedies, even those that are safe and beneficial for humans and other animals, are good for cats. Essential oils, for example, are very harmful to our furry feline friends.

Cats are sensitive to essential oils for two reasons. Not only do felines have very acute senses of smell, but they also have delicate and thin skin, which allows for quicker absorption of these concentrated substances into the bloodstream. Most disturbingly, cats can't efficiently metabolize the compounds in essential oils, which can lead to toxic build-up in their bodies. It's scary to think about all those cat owners who've unknowingly used products with essential oils in their homes or directly on their pets! Here is a list of some essential oils that are known to be toxic to cats: • Peppermint • Oregano • Clove • Sage • Citrus oils • Lavender • Melaleuca (tea tree oil) • Cinnamon (cassia) • Wintergreen • Thyme • Birch • Bergamot • Pine • Spruce • Any other oils containing phenols There's debate over whether hydrosols, a by-product made when a plant is steam distilled to extract essential oils, are also toxic to cats. Since the verdict isn't out, we're going to steer clear of any and all essential oil products in the future just in case. For more information about the danger of essential oils to cats, go to The Lavender Cat. The ASPCA web site also lists common house plants and household items that are toxic or dangerous to your cats and dogs.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
I had a A gorgeous Himalayian/Persian that we rescued and it was my vet that schooled me that cats actually like water and they should get baths every now and then. Because they are constantly on the floor dust and germs are on their coats it is a good idea to give them periodic baths to cut down on the ingestion of the dust. Especially long haired cats. With his guidance I gave her a bath and to my surprise she loved it. Had her for 17 years and we bathed her several times a year. That was way before Wen. After contacting the salon and before Wen Pets my DD gave our current rescue a Wen bath in SAM, she loved it. Once the weather warms up she'll be getting her Wen bath.
Respected Contributor
On 3/16/2014 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 3/16/2014 tigriss said:

If Chaz knows this substance is toxic to cats or other animals, why would he include it in his pet shampoo? Why wouldn't he create a shampoo that is perfect for all animals? This just seems like bad planning? People keep more than just dogs that need bathing, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, cats, mice, rats, etc.....If he meant it to be for dogs, then put dogs on the label and not pets.

It's not a shampoo, it's a cleansing conditioner for pets. He's not being irresponsible about his product. There are many pet shampoos in the pet stores that have tea tree oil in them. Owners buy them and use them everyday on their animals. But again, I say, it's not necessary to physically bathe a cat because they take care of cleaning themselves just fine. Currently, WEN Pets is intended for "the four-legged members of the family", according to the text on Chaz' website, which would include all you've listed, and probably more including horses. The amount of tea tree oil in WEN Pets Cleansing Conditioner is low, but for those who still use the people cleansing conditioner on their pets, Chaz recommends they refrain from using the Tea Tree formula on their cats.

From Chaz' website:

WEN Pets™ brings the high performance, quality and amazing results you expect from a WEN® product to your pets. This non-lathering, rich and creamy formula leaves your pets with the rich, warm scent of maple from a plant Chaz encountered on his daily hikes with Hunter, Spencer and Ella. WEN Pets™ Cleansing Conditioner is pH balanced for pets and packed with essential oils, extracts, amino acids, vitamins, nutrients, and peptides. It eliminates the use of harsh detergents and chemicals, leaving your pet's coat silky, shiny and beautiful. Why use stripping detergents and other damaging ingredients on your furry friends when you won't use them on the rest of your family? Treat the four-legged members of your household with the love they deserve by giving them a smooth, shiny, polished and hydrated coat with WEN Pets™ Cleansing Conditioner.

Prior to use, please check with your veterinarian as some dogs may be sensitive to certain ingredients. If you use WEN on your cat, please avoid Tea Tree as the essential oil is toxic to cats.

You are SO RIGHT! It isn't a shampoo, but it is meant for cleaning your pets, thus it should either be labeled for the specific animals to be used on or be formulated to be used as it is advertised, on pets, thus all critters. His marketing is the problem, not the product. It is all about the marketing that won't be corrected until someone buys it and uses it on a cat or other animal that it should be used on, and the animal dies. As the page states

Who is it for: The universal formula is designed to be used on all breeds of dogs, cats, and even horses.

So why does he feel the need to state that you shouldn't use on cats, when his labeling does state to use it on cats. His print marketing and item labeling needs to adjusted to reflect the truth and dangers of the product.

I do find it a bit cult like that people are so very defensive over a silly product. Wrong is wrong and right is right. He even states that his advertising is wrong, so why so defensive. It is just proof of poor research in the creation of this one product that needs to be corrected before someone's beloved pet dies or is sickened. I'm sure it isn't him because the "head man" has teams working for him to take care of these things, but one of his research/development team and subsequent vetting staff that need to make the correction.

Don't take life so personally, it causes stress, and stress causes so many problems!

Valued Contributor
Actually depending on the breed of your cat it very well may need to be given a bath. For example the Sphynx is a breed that because of their lack of hair and excessive oil production require weekly bathing. Our cat is a blue point Ragdoll named Max and was given a bath at 10 weeks old before we were even able to bring him home. We give him a bath for the most part when he needs it, but he is fine with getting a bath so it is not a huge struggle for us to do. I did as ask our vetranarian about WEN Pets for Max and as many have stated he said no not to use it on Max because of the tea tree oil in the ingredients list. However we did get the ok to use the WEN Kids formulas on him and so that is what we chose to use on him. Smiley Happy I guess my feeling on this topic is check with you vetranarian and see what they think is best for your prescious kitty. Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

If Chaz knows this substance is toxic to cats or other animals, why would he include it in his pet shampoo? Why wouldn't he create a shampoo that is perfect for all animals? This just seems like bad planning? People keep more than just dogs that need bathing, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, cats, mice, rats, etc.....If he meant it to be for dogs, then put dogs on the label and not pets.

It's not a shampoo, it's a cleansing conditioner for pets. He's not being irresponsible about his product. There are many pet shampoos in the pet stores that have tea tree oil in them. Owners buy them and use them everyday on their animals. But again, I say, it's not necessary to physically bathe a cat because they take care of cleaning themselves just fine. Currently, WEN Pets is intended for "the four-legged members of the family", according to the text on Chaz' website, which would include all you've listed, and probably more including horses. The amount of tea tree oil in WEN Pets Cleansing Conditioner is low, but for those who still use the people cleansing conditioner on their pets, Chaz recommends they refrain from using the Tea Tree formula on their cats.

From Chaz' website:

WEN Pets™ brings the high performance, quality and amazing results you expect from a WEN® product to your pets. This non-lathering, rich and creamy formula leaves your pets with the rich, warm scent of maple from a plant Chaz encountered on his daily hikes with Hunter, Spencer and Ella. WEN Pets™ Cleansing Conditioner is pH balanced for pets and packed with essential oils, extracts, amino acids, vitamins, nutrients, and peptides. It eliminates the use of harsh detergents and chemicals, leaving your pet's coat silky, shiny and beautiful. Why use stripping detergents and other damaging ingredients on your furry friends when you won't use them on the rest of your family? Treat the four-legged members of your household with the love they deserve by giving them a smooth, shiny, polished and hydrated coat with WEN Pets™ Cleansing Conditioner.

Prior to use, please check with your veterinarian as some dogs may be sensitive to certain ingredients. If you use WEN on your cat, please avoid Tea Tree as the essential oil is toxic to cats.

You are SO RIGHT! It isn't a shampoo, but it is meant for cleaning your pets, thus it should either be labeled for the specific animals to be used on or be formulated to be used as it is advertised, on pets, thus all critters. His marketing is the problem, not the product. It is all about the marketing that won't be corrected until someone buys it and uses it on a cat or other animal that it should be used on, and the animal dies. As the page states

Who is it for: The universal formula is designed to be used on all breeds of dogs, cats, and even horses.

So why does he feel the need to state that you shouldn't use on cats, when his labeling does state to use it on cats. His print marketing and item labeling needs to adjusted to reflect the truth and dangers of the product.

I do find it a bit cult like that people are so very defensive over a silly product. Wrong is wrong and right is right. He even states that his advertising is wrong, so why so defensive. It is just proof of poor research in the creation of this one product that needs to be corrected before someone's beloved pet dies or is sickened. I'm sure it isn't him because the "head man" has teams working for him to take care of these things, but one of his research/development team and subsequent vetting staff that need to make the correction.

Don't take life so personally, it causes stress, and stress causes so many problems!

I don't have anything to defend, but I find it frustrating how non-WEN users try to find anything and everything they can and twist things solely for the purpose of putting Chaz Dean and his products in a bad light. Hey, if someone doesn't want to use it, that's fine, but they don't have to go out of their way to call names and make assumptions. I can see where you might be confused on his two statements. I probably should have clarified better.

This statement is in regard to WEN Pets:

This statement refers to those users who are still using the regular WEN for people on their pets:

Esteemed Contributor

Why is it that people don't understand, cats are different? Cats lick themselves to clean. That means they ingest anything left of their coats, including residues from cleansers of any kind. All cleansers, including Wen, leave some residue.

As to other products made for cats found in pet stores and such, my Vet says no. He said manufacturers are not animal experts and there is no reason to take the chance.

Unless your cat gets a bunch of car grease or something like that on their coat, water only!

If you need something more, ask your Vet.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

From Chaz' website:

I don't have anything to defend, but I find it frustrating how non-WEN users try to find anything and everything they can and twist things solely for the purpose of putting Chaz Dean and his products in a bad light. Hey, if someone doesn't want to use it, that's fine, but they don't have to go out of their way to call names and make assumptions. I can see where you might be confused on his two statements. I probably should have clarified better.

This statement refers to those users who are still using the regular WEN for people on their pets:

Why don't you bother to pull up the WEN PETS page? Because it shows the truth that he advertises it for use on all pets without regard to the finer issues at point. I AM a WEN user but see better options on the market that are as good as if not better for far less. Try reading the below if you dare. The below comes from said marketing page http://www.qvc.com/WEN-by-Chaz-Dean-Pets-Cleansing-Conditioner,-64-oz.-Beauty.product.A233839.html?s... .

I take a great issue with someone that purports for a product to be a one size fits all that has dire consequences for those it is used on. His team has serious disregard for the value of pets, ALL PETS, bring to people by advertising it this way. Look forward to the further when he MUST market it to specific pets due to the TRUTH IN ADVERTISING law.

ONCE AGAIN IT ISN'T THE PRODUCTS THAT ARE THE PROBLEM, BUT THE MARKETING/ADVERTISING. GET OVER YOURSELF AND SEE CLEARLY, WAIT..., YOU HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED TO BELIEVING THIS IS THE ONLY HOLY GRAIL OF HAIR PRODUCTS AND WILL DEFEND IT AS IT WAS YOUR LIFE. OH PLEASE......FIND SOMETHING FAR MORE IMPORTANT WITH YOUR LIFE TO PLACE ALL THAT ENERGY, LIKE DOING THE LAUNDRY!

What is it: WEN Pets Cleansing Conditioner brings the high performance, quality, and amazing results you'd expect from a WEN product to your pets. This non-lathering, creamy formula leaves your pets with the rich, warm scent of maple from a plant Chaz encountered on his daily hikes with Hunter, Spencer, and Ella.

Why is it different: WEN Pets is packed with essential oils, extracts, amino acids, vitamins, nutrients, and peptides. It eliminates the use of harsh detergents and chemicals, leaving your pet's coat silky, shiny, and beautiful. Treat the four-legged members of your household with the love they deserve by giving them a smooth, shiny, polished, and hydrated coat.

How do I use it: WEN Pets is a concentrated formula, so you'll use the provided mixing bottle to dilute the product and create a rich foam to cleanse your pet with. Fill the empty bottle to the appropriate line, then fill to the appropriate line with water.

For small pets (up to 25 lbs), fill the mixing bottle to the 2-oz mark with WEN Pets, then add 3 oz of water to the bottle, and shake thoroughly to mix.

For medium-sized pets (25-50 lbs), fill the mixing bottle to the 4-oz mark with WEN Pets, then add 6 oz of water, and shake thoroughly to mix.

For large pets (50-100 lbs), fill the mixing bottle to the 6-oz mark with WEN Pets, then fill with water close to top of the bottle, leaving just enough room so you can shake thoroughly to mix.

Rinse your pet's coat thoroughly and completely until soaking wet. Apply WEN Pets to your pet's coat until it is thoroughly saturated. Add a splash of water and vigorously massage. Leave on for three to five minutes, then rinse thoroughly and completely for several minutes until the product is completely rinsed out.

From WEN by Chaz Dean.

Includes:

• 64-fl oz WEN Pets Cleansing Conditioner
  • Empty mixing bottle
  • Pump

UNLESS SOMEONE WATCHES THE PRESENTATION, THEY WILL NOT KNOW THE TRUTH OF THE ISSUE WITH CATS AND BELIEVE THAT THE PRODUCT IS SAFE ON ALL PETS, WHICH IT IS NOT. TOXINS BUILD UP IN THE LIVER AND CAUSE LIVER FAILURE OVER TIME WITH THE USE OF THE PRODUCT.

Honored Contributor

From Chaz' website:

Why don't you bother to pull up the WEN PETS page? Because it shows the truth that he advertises it for use on all pets without regard to the finer issues at point. I AM a WEN user but see better options on the market that are as good as if not better for far less. Try reading the below if you dare. The below comes from said marketing page http://www.qvc.com/WEN-by-Chaz-Dean-Pets-Cleansing-Conditioner,-64-oz.-Beauty.product.A233839.html?s... .

I take a great issue with someone that purports for a product to be a one size fits all that has dire consequences for those it is used on. His team has serious disregard for the value of pets, ALL PETS, bring to people by advertising it this way. Look forward to the further when he MUST market it to specific pets due to the TRUTH IN ADVERTISING law.

ONCE AGAIN IT ISN'T THE PRODUCTS THAT ARE THE PROBLEM, BUT THE MARKETING/ADVERTISING. GET OVER YOURSELF AND SEE CLEARLY, WAIT..., YOU HAVE BEEN BRAINWASHED TO BELIEVING THIS IS THE ONLY HOLY GRAIL OF HAIR PRODUCTS AND WILL DEFEND IT AS IT WAS YOUR LIFE. OH PLEASE......FIND SOMETHING FAR MORE IMPORTANT WITH YOUR LIFE TO PLACE ALL THAT ENERGY, LIKE DOING THE LAUNDRY!

What is it: WEN Pets Cleansing Conditioner brings the high performance, quality, and amazing results you'd expect from a WEN product to your pets. This non-lathering, creamy formula leaves your pets with the rich, warm scent of maple from a plant Chaz encountered on his daily hikes with Hunter, Spencer, and Ella.

Why is it different: WEN Pets is packed with essential oils, extracts, amino acids, vitamins, nutrients, and peptides. It eliminates the use of harsh detergents and chemicals, leaving your pet's coat silky, shiny, and beautiful. Treat the four-legged members of your household with the love they deserve by giving them a smooth, shiny, polished, and hydrated coat.

How do I use it: WEN Pets is a concentrated formula, so you'll use the provided mixing bottle to dilute the product and create a rich foam to cleanse your pet with. Fill the empty bottle to the appropriate line, then fill to the appropriate line with water.

For small pets (up to 25 lbs), fill the mixing bottle to the 2-oz mark with WEN Pets, then add 3 oz of water to the bottle, and shake thoroughly to mix.

For medium-sized pets (25-50 lbs), fill the mixing bottle to the 4-oz mark with WEN Pets, then add 6 oz of water, and shake thoroughly to mix.

For large pets (50-100 lbs), fill the mixing bottle to the 6-oz mark with WEN Pets, then fill with water close to top of the bottle, leaving just enough room so you can shake thoroughly to mix.

Rinse your pet's coat thoroughly and completely until soaking wet. Apply WEN Pets to your pet's coat until it is thoroughly saturated. Add a splash of water and vigorously massage. Leave on for three to five minutes, then rinse thoroughly and completely for several minutes until the product is completely rinsed out.

From WEN by Chaz Dean.

Includes:

• 64-fl oz WEN Pets Cleansing Conditioner
  • Empty mixing bottle
  • Pump

UNLESS SOMEONE WATCHES THE PRESENTATION, THEY WILL NOT KNOW THE TRUTH OF THE ISSUE WITH CATS AND BELIEVE THAT THE PRODUCT IS SAFE ON ALL PETS, WHICH IT IS NOT. TOXINS BUILD UP IN THE LIVER AND CAUSE LIVER FAILURE OVER TIME WITH THE USE OF THE PRODUCT.

What do you mean, "if I dare"? Your comments confirm way more about yourself than they do of me. How rude! I have read the WEN Pets listing on QVC, more than once. There's nothing wrong with Chaz' marketing of his product. You are making it a problem because you are failing to acknowledge that WEN Pets is safe for all pets. The recommendation about avoiding the Tea Tree CLEANSING CONDITIONER on cats is sound. Realize they are TWO different products with two different concentrations of tea tree oil. With all the money Chaz has for product development, and knowing how he cares for his dogs, do you really think he'd put his reputation and finances at such risk if there was any chance of WEN PETS being harmful to any animal?

Respected Contributor

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/ken-tudor/2014/january/tea-tree-oil-safe-pets-31282

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tea-tree-oil/

OH wait... there are two reliable sources for information regarding this DANGEROUS issue that results in many symptoms in animals including death. It is recommended not to use anything that contains tea tree oil on animals that may or may not be sensitive, as many have mentioned the issue with WEN containing menthol and the complications that are present with that. There are approximately 1.3 million postings on the dangers of this ingredient for use on pets. It is used as an antifungal and antibacterial agent, but is as dangerous as antifreeze for many pets. Thus the research of Chaz's team has failed pet owners here. I would not use anything that contained a known carcinogen on my pets. Why do you think the kid version does not contain menthol and many other ingredients that his other products include even the pet version? Because people and animals can have varying reactions to them including skin irritation, coma, and death. Why don't you consult your vet if you feel any of this information is mis-represented? Print the ingredients of WEN Pet and ask you vet if they feel it is safe to use on a variety of animals/pets. He/she will tell you no, as others here have told you. The initial reaction to a substance like this may be slight, but will build up in reaction over the course of exposure until a systemic reaction occurs. Other people have already stated their sensitivity to various formulas of WEN, as people have to many other products on the shelves. We are all different, but there are common allergens/carcinogens that must be avoided or the liability is on your hands, especially when the bottles come with warning labels, see California for their warning labels, and then want to sue the company when it is their own fault. Well if people do sue WEN/Chaz, they will win because of the lack of proper disclosure of a known carcinogen in Wen PETS. If it wasn't for boards like this and community questions, people would not know of the issue because it isn't on the product to warn people away from using it.

Open your eyes and do a bit of research on the ingredient itself outside of a WEN sponsored site. There are approximately 1.3 million for you to choose from.

Honored Contributor

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedailyvet/ken-tudor/2014/january/tea-tree-oil-safe-pets-31282

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tea-tree-oil/

OH wait... there are two reliable sources for information regarding this DANGEROUS issue that results in many symptoms in animals including death. It is recommended not to use anything that contains tea tree oil on animals that may or may not be sensitive, as many have mentioned the issue with WEN containing menthol and the complications that are present with that. There are approximately 1.3 million postings on the dangers of this ingredient for use on pets. It is used as an antifungal and antibacterial agent, but is as dangerous as antifreeze for many pets. Thus the research of Chaz's team has failed pet owners here. I would not use anything that contained a known carcinogen on my pets. Why do you think the kid version does not contain menthol and many other ingredients that his other products include even the pet version? Because people and animals can have varying reactions to them including skin irritation, coma, and death. Why don't you consult your vet if you feel any of this information is mis-represented? Print the ingredients of WEN Pet and ask you vet if they feel it is safe to use on a variety of animals/pets. He/she will tell you no, as others here have told you. The initial reaction to a substance like this may be slight, but will build up in reaction over the course of exposure until a systemic reaction occurs. Other people have already stated their sensitivity to various formulas of WEN, as people have to many other products on the shelves. We are all different, but there are common allergens/carcinogens that must be avoided or the liability is on your hands, especially when the bottles come with warning labels, see California for their warning labels, and then want to sue the company when it is their own fault. Well if people do sue WEN/Chaz, they will win because of the lack of proper disclosure of a known carcinogen in Wen PETS. If it wasn't for boards like this and community questions, people would not know of the issue because it isn't on the product to warn people away from using it.

Open your eyes and do a bit of research on the ingredient itself outside of a WEN sponsored site. There are approximately 1.3 million for you to choose from.

As I stated earlier, there are MANY cat shampoos sold in retail that contain tea tree oil. So all of those big companies with research and development departments, and legal departments, are wrong too? There's no failure of disclosure on the WEN Pets jug. I have a jug here and it clearly states there is tea tree oil in the ingredient deck. That's no different from another pet shampoo manufacturer who has tea tree oil in their product. It's not the manufacturer's job to hold the hand of every pet owner. It's the owner's job to educate themselves. If someone feels strongly about it, then don't use it, but just because there's a very small percentage (I think an earlier post said 1%) of tea tree oil doesn't make Chaz disingenuous or his product dangerous.