Respected Contributor

I'm just thinking that washing a cat is against nature. They are so good at it themselves, but if they like water, fine, but most don't, so they put up a fight. Cat scratch fever isn't fun.

Respected Contributor
Chaz just said that the tea tree in Wen pets is under 1%, but he recommends asking your vet before using it on cats.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Regular Contributor
On 3/15/2014 Hilary77 said: Chaz just said that the tea tree in Wen pets is under 1%, but he recommends asking your vet before using it on cats.

This.

I have two cats and when I use the Tea Tree oil on my scalp I am careful that they don't come near my head. They never have, but I play it safe.

Cats are self cleaning anyway (as someone else mentioned). I have never considered using WEN on them.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine using that stuff on cats, they are slippery enough when being washed and then rinsing it out.

Use a shampoo made for cats or take them the groomer.

Honored Contributor

Generally speaking, cats don't need to be bathed by their owners since they are always grooming themselves. Yes, tea tree oil can be toxic to cats in certain concentrations, but if you look at the labels, many traditional pet shampoos contain some tea tree oil.

Super Contributor

A lot of essential oils are toxic to cats. Their livers can't process them. Please don't use anything with essential oils on your cat.

Valued Contributor
On 3/15/2014 KittyKat L said:

I'm wondering if it is safe for cats since it contains tea tree and Chaz says tea tree is poisonous for cats.

Thanks in advance

Again!!! WHY would anyone use Wen or anything else on a cat????? I have 4 beautiful cats and NEVER had to bath any one of them. They always smell wonderful. Cats bath themselves.

Please DON'T use Wen on cats!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

If Chaz knows this substance is toxic to cats or other animals, why would he include it in his pet shampoo? Why wouldn't he create a shampoo that is perfect for all animals? This just seems like bad planning? People keep more than just dogs that need bathing, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, cats, mice, rats, etc.....If he meant it to be for dogs, then put dogs on the label and not pets.

Honored Contributor
On 3/16/2014 tigriss said:

If Chaz knows this substance is toxic to cats or other animals, why would he include it in his pet shampoo? Why wouldn't he create a shampoo that is perfect for all animals? This just seems like bad planning? People keep more than just dogs that need bathing, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, cats, mice, rats, etc.....If he meant it to be for dogs, then put dogs on the label and not pets.

It's not a shampoo, it's a cleansing conditioner for pets. He's not being irresponsible about his product. There are many pet shampoos in the pet stores that have tea tree oil in them. Owners buy them and use them everyday on their animals. But again, I say, it's not necessary to physically bathe a cat because they take care of cleaning themselves just fine. Currently, WEN Pets is intended for "the four-legged members of the family", according to the text on Chaz' website, which would include all you've listed, and probably more including horses. The amount of tea tree oil in WEN Pets Cleansing Conditioner is low, but for those who still use the people cleansing conditioner on their pets, Chaz recommends they refrain from using the Tea Tree formula on their cats.

From Chaz' website:

WEN Pets™ brings the high performance, quality and amazing results you expect from a WEN® product to your pets. This non-lathering, rich and creamy formula leaves your pets with the rich, warm scent of maple from a plant Chaz encountered on his daily hikes with Hunter, Spencer and Ella. WEN Pets™ Cleansing Conditioner is pH balanced for pets and packed with essential oils, extracts, amino acids, vitamins, nutrients, and peptides. It eliminates the use of harsh detergents and chemicals, leaving your pet's coat silky, shiny and beautiful. Why use stripping detergents and other damaging ingredients on your furry friends when you won't use them on the rest of your family? Treat the four-legged members of your household with the love they deserve by giving them a smooth, shiny, polished and hydrated coat with WEN Pets™ Cleansing Conditioner.

Prior to use, please check with your veterinarian as some dogs may be sensitive to certain ingredients. If you use WEN on your cat, please avoid Tea Tree as the essential oil is toxic to cats.

Regular Contributor
On 3/15/2014 sidsmom said:

Cats are like ovens...self-cleaning.

Cute! Yes, our cat is completely odorless but does love frequent brushing. The brushing goes a long way toward keeping him clean and keeping excess hair out of his tummy, if someone wants to provide their cat with grooming assistance. Our puppies...they're another story!