Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Want to look 5 to 10 years younger??

@Perkup, when I was in high school in the 60's the look was to wear your bangs almost touching your eyelashes. I sat across from dad at the dinner table and he would always remark to cut those darn bangs! Haha! RIP Dad I still have bangs.

Super Contributor

I agree it makes anyone look so good. I have blonde straight bangs. As for the Uncle I just think he was ignorant to treat anyone like that. So what if you had bangs, sorry you still cant wear them. 

Valued Contributor

My hairdresser only gave me one rule, to never ever get bangs. Had them a few times in my life and they don't look good on me at all. She says it can make people like me with the already droopy eyes dated and look more tired. Giving an even more sleepy look because it draws attention to the eyes. Have the so called Betty Davis sleepy eyes and she is right, bangs make me look tired and draws my face down. It depends on the indivudaul and their face structure. 

Honored Contributor

Ladies,   This is not my quote.  It has been in hair style magazines, fashion magazines, etc. for years regarding bangs.  I wear them and love them. Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

Bangs always look good on some people. And always look bad on others. lol No hairdo looks good on everyone! 

I have no no desire to wear bangs again. I had them as a girl but my skin is combo/oily and it is hard enough to keep my hair from looking greasy. Besides, I just don't want bangs; not my look. And it is way to hard to grow them out! Never again!

But it is interesting; I had no idea the only part of our body that can make us look older is our forehead! Smiley Wink

Yep. Another one of those so-called "rules" that someone tried to apply to everyone and it just isn't true. I really dislike the "one size fits all" makeup and beauty and fashion "rules" some people try to push. So silly.

By the way, I have two cowlicks in the front of my hair. ALL my hairdressers said no bangs ever for me and I agree,  unless I  want silly three sections of bangs, lol. Plus I am not a fan of bangs in general.

Esteemed Contributor

I think actress Dakota Johnson looks better with bangs than without them. She has a very high forehead and when she bares her forehead totally it's startling how high her forehead is. The bangs do a good job of disguising it.

From Pinterest:

Image result for dakota johnson pinterest

Image result for dakota johnson pinterest

Honored Contributor

@TY,  I agree that Dakota looks better with bangs.  She is her mother and father all balled up in one.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1

Nah .... I'll skip the bangs and keep using the retinol.  

Bangs never worked for me because I can't stand hair on my face.  Ick.

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@queendiva...so...they don't look good on me?

Woman Happy @SurferWife!  I think, youe bangs look great on you!  Your entire hair style frames you face perfectly well, and shows off your personality too.

By the way, in Vidal Sasoon Academy of Beauty, they do not say a word "bangs" - it's forbidden! They only say - "Fringe". Cat Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Ladies,   This is not my quote.  It has been in hair style magazines, fashion magazines, etc. for years regarding bangs.  I wear them and love them. Cat Very Happy

Fashion magazines do tend to generalize things way too much, and sensationalize the "importance" of their statements, somewhat forcing those onto us.

All Ladies, who posted here on the subject, have their own very valid points going for and against bangs.

I do believe, the bangs may change woman's look and quite drastically.

For better or worth, this would depend on her face, hair, attitude and yeah, sometimes her age.

I don't like the word "bangs" too, and prefer to think of it as - "fringe",  it has better association with what this actually does for the hair and face.

I personally like it both ways - with and without. So, I have a side swiped fringe, I can comb it down, or push it away from my face.

I love the look of "bangs" on some women! Cute and sexy. And I love an open woman's face too. Classy and beautiful.