Esteemed Contributor

Re: Want to look 5 to 10 years younger??

Happily, I can do either.

The last time I grew them out was a few years ago. Now I keep a side/off-to-the side part and side-swept section.

Maybe when I'm 80, I'll try to look 70 and do fringe, a.k.a. bangs, again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bangs always look good on some people. And always look bad on others. lol No hairdo looks good on everyone! 

I have no no desire to wear bangs again. I had them as a girl but my skin is combo/oily and it is hard enough to keep my hair from looking greasy. Besides, I just don't want bangs; not my look. And it is way to hard to grow them out! Never again!

But it is interesting; I had no idea the only part of our body that can make us look older is our forehead! Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@StillPortia and @Perkup - Maybe it was their generation.  My parents told me that only streetwalkers pierced their ears.  When I got my ears pierced at 18, my mom didn't speak to me for weeks.  For the rest of her life, she gave me clip-on earrings as gifts.  

I've always had sideswept bangs because that's just the way my hair falls.  Even using rollers and rolling it back, my hair always fell forward unless I used a headband.  Honestly, my forehead is one of my best features (ha!) and I'd like to show it off!  But, alas, I have wispy bangs whether I want them or not.

Some women look good in them, some women do not.  Age has nothing to do with it.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@jclark73 wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

Not me.  I've never worn bangs.  We lived with my Uncle in his home. He was a most wonderful man, much loved. But he hated bangs.  If his daughter or I came to the dinner table with any hair in our faces, we were sent away to get the hair back in place. I asked him once why we couldn't have bangs, and his answer was "Only Streetwalkers Wear Bangs",  I think I was six, and my thinking at the time was that bangs were worn by people who didn't have sense enough to use the sidewalk. I didn't want to be a walking dummy, so I avoided bangs. I still can't wear them!

That's funny. My mother told me that only streetwalkers got their ears pierced, so I had to wait until I moved out of the house and was on my own to get my ears pierced. But I do wear bangs. . lol

@jclark73

@Perkup

I remember my mother telling me a story.  When she was young, growing up in an Italian neighborhood, she was walking down the street, wearing a pair of red shoes.  An older Italian woman approached her and told her that only "a certain type of woman" (and the term she used was Italian, of course) wore red shoes.  Then the woman slapped her face.

I can't tell you how many pairs of red shoes I own.  Wear them almost every day.

P.S. I, too, waited until I was away from home, in college, to get my ears pierced.  And I wear bangs.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I don't think any one hair style looks good on everyone.  I, personally, always have to have some kind of bangs though.  My bangs are cut so that I can wear them down or swooshed to the side.  I look younger I think when they are down as they cover my slight forehead lines!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Katcat1: regardless of age, bangs do NOT work well on a round face or with curly hair!

Sorry i cant agree.  I have a round face and bangs have always suited me.  I have tried without but doesnt work for me. 

Respected Contributor

Kat, I don't have thick bangs but sheer wispy long bangs that I wear to the side. Not full on. The rest is angle below my cheeks & styled. Most of the time I push them up out of habit. I notice full on bangs with woman who have a higher forheads but they are not blunt & they do imo give a more youthful appearance. They are also good for women with deep forhead lines. I don't think short blunt bangs look good on a mature woman.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

Winter:   Yes    

Summer:   NO

I live in PHX

Exactly.

While there have been times in the past that I had bangs, I have no intention of ever having them again. A complete PITA to grow out and hot on your forehead in summer. I don't think they look that good on me anyway. Plus I have to blow them straight and they get wonky when I sleep. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

Bangs on an aging, older face look terrible. Why not add in a short skirt and a lolly pop?

Respected Contributor

I have worn bangs all of my life. Just don't like my hair without them.