Respected Contributor

Re: WEN and Amino Acid or Protein Overload

On 6/24/2014 va603 said:

My hair was getting crunchy at the ends while using bamboo green tea too. I'm sad because I really love the smell. I changed my auto delivery from the last tsv to tea tree instead of the bamboo. From reading these threads I know it's from the protein because nothing else has changed.

I was just thinking about this today. I was wondering if any of the new Wen users ended up not liking Wen because they only used the bamboo green tea and it dried out their hair over time. I'm glad you figured it out and ordered the tea tree.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Honored Contributor

On 6/24/2014 ginabfly said:

I do split up the the amount for each cleanse, and had been using around 10 or more per cleanse. I'll start using less and add more if needed. I really can't afford it if it goes that quickly!

10 pumps from the 16oz bottle is 1oz of CC. That's the amount he recommends for chin length hair.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

10 pumps+ for the first cleanse, 10 pumps+ for the 2nd cleanse, that's at least 20 pumps total which is what the bottle says to use (16 - 24 pumps) for Medium length hair (split into 2 cleanses). I think I was using more like 24 total or more at first, but cut back a couple of pumps because it's going so fast. I was using the amount it said for long hair.

Super Contributor

Earlier this month, Chaz was marking with his hands where he determined short, medium and long hair. Short was mid-neck and above (his hair), medium was there to bra strap, long was below that. It isn't just length, it's also thickness. I think Doxie had a good rule of thumb above to determine if you're using enough.

Super Contributor

My hair is more fine too, so I can probably get away with less. I just wanted to make sure I was using enough at first!

Thanks for that info okiebug, that helps!

Esteemed Contributor

Another way to tell if you are getting an excessive amount of protein is when you get large knots on your ends. Large meaning the size of a pen point.

These are shed curls getting wrapped up and then glued to the ends like tumbleweeds. This is for curly hair anyway.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 va603 said:

My hair was getting crunchy at the ends while using bamboo green tea too. I'm sad because I really love the smell. I changed my auto delivery from the last tsv to tea tree instead of the bamboo. From reading these threads I know it's from the protein because nothing else has changed.

this has happened to me too and I ordered a GALLON of the bamboo, I think I may return it for a gallon of TT

Valued Contributor

On 6/26/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Another way to tell if you are getting an excessive amount of protein is when you get large knots on your ends. Large meaning the size of a pen point.

These are shed curls getting wrapped up and then glued to the ends like tumbleweeds. This is for curly hair anyway.

oh my gosh-- this was happening to me during my too much protein phase(s). the amount of hair that will get taken out with these tumbleweeds is ridiculous! and the knots were near impossible to get out. it was really annoying and worrisome. even though it stopped a while ago once i got my moisture balance under control (shout out to fig! i love my tea tree but also now know i cannot be without the fig, ever.) i am extremely relieved to know that a) i'm not the only person who experienced this particular phenomena and b) it did have to do with protein.

Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 ginabfly said:

I was wondering how FAS would work on my hair, I'm just starting out here using Fig for my dry hair, and am tempted to buy the TSV from last fall with the 32oz CC, 2oz Oil, FAS 16oz CC and RTM, but I'm not sure if the FAS will work okay with my hair. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling the CC with proteins (at least 613) would turn my hair to straw. If I were to use it, should I use FAS first, then Fig as my second cleanse?

Most who ordered this kit got SOB not FAS. You have to read that thread but everyone is getting the SOB instead of FAS. It is a great price but the next TSV will be in August and may be similar to this kit. I bought this TSV last fall and really disliked the fall apple spice and gave it to a friend. I didn't even want to keep it to mix with something else. I bought the lavender with this TSV that also was too drying for my hair but I used it anyway. I just mixed it with another CC that I already had.