Trusted Contributor

Re: WEN and Amino Acid or Protein Overload

Thanks everyone for your responses....and good and helpful ones. I am sorry I am just getting back on, had a day of doctors yuck. Ok so it all makes sense to use what works basically. I am just loving the SHP so much and had little excitement over the SOB or the BGT ( except smell ). I was hoping that this didn't mean the SHP wasn't going to work for extended use. I have been mixing it in with Fig on 2nd cleanse. I think I cocktail too much so I haven't really decided if I am getting less than stellar results because of the seasonals and the 613. I think maybe the best way for me will be to use straight up cores like Fig, SAM and TT then gradually add the seasonals or 613 and compare. I have a pretty big stash now thanks to the last TSV so I am going to wash every other day for sure because I want to do the oils or a remoist and see what happens. I may even do every day because I love taking a shower now before bed when it's been so hot outside. I think new people should start with cores that are similar to their hair on the chart he has. I always wonder why he really never makes a strong recommendation ( at least that I heard recently anyway ) of what formula is the best for curly hair. We all know the Fig is moisturizing, but he emphasizes it for coarse, damaged chemically treated hair.

I am glad I asked this again because it is still confusing to me even when I did the strand test. I just know I need moisture moisture moisture !!

Wengirl42 I know you like the CA for your curly hair and I have some of those packets from the discovery kit and I am going to try that too. I think thats the only one I haven't tried yet. Psssst do you have the same email so I can send you something?

Respected Contributor

I do Smiley Wink Teeheehee!
Trusted Contributor

On 6/24/2014 ginabfly said:
On 6/24/2014 Hilary77 said:

I only know that my hair is so dry when I use anything except moisturizing products, my hair dries out just thinking of anything volumizing! I don't know if I've tried products with protein or not, but a lot of products don't agree with my hair. I just recently have heard about protein in hair products, I didn't even know it could cause issues, but I agree could be causing people to be paranoid for no reason, or at least without knowing how it reacts with their hair. I am one of those people! But I like the thought that it may actually help since I've only been using Wen for a short time! I may try that TSV with FAS and see what happens.

You never know until you try. But I'm sure it's nice to have the information just in case you have the same issues. Then you will know for sure. I hope you don't have the same issues because the seasonals smell soooo good.

I'm thankful for all of the info I'm getting on this Wen forum! I've learned a lot in the short time I've been here!

There is a wealth of knowledge PLUS as users we all can tell experiences which are better than directions on a bottle sometime. Of course what works for someone won't always work for someone else, but at least it helps to learn things. I have been using WEN for a little over a year and my hair is 10000000% better than it was even on a bad hair day, compared to preWEN. I have just read bits an pieces about you using it. LAV is close to the very bottom of the list for me. I would never had continued if I had tried that OR the POM 1st. I started w/ SAM then added FIG and TT. They are perfect for me BUT the FIG is my absolute best. Just remember to use alot at 1st ( I made the mistake of too little at 1st ) and THEN when my hair was growing so fast I hadn't Upped the amount and thought WEN wasn't working...WRONG ! It was working SO well I need more for longer hair ! I know a few others have had the same experience ! Please do give the FIG a good run for its money !! Now I use at least 3 more pumps " just in case " because you can't use too much !!

Super Contributor

My only thing now is I'm about halfway done (or close to it) with my 16 oz bottle that I started using on Friday! I was following the directions for the least amount needed for long hair, maybe I need to use the amount for medium length hair instead. I just got an inch and a half cut and my hair is about down to my bra on my back. At least I'm not skimping, but it's going way too fast!

Trusted Contributor

On 6/24/2014 WenGirl42 said: I do Smiley Wink Teeheehee!

lol ok. I sent you one the oher day but you didn't answer. Do I need to send you an email now or do you know?

Trusted Contributor

My only thing now is I'm about halfway done (or close to it) with my 16 oz bottle that I started using on Friday! I was following the directions for the least amount needed for long hair, maybe I need to use the amount for medium length hair instead. I just got an inch and a half cut and my hair is about down to my bra on my back. At least I'm not skimping, but it's going way too fast!

Yep it does seem that way ! I have hair past my shoulders and its thick and curly. I use the amount for long hair...and maybe a little more. After not using enough and not liking it, now I am sure to use more The TSV's really help with the cost and its nice when you can get 2. When there is easy pay I get at least 2 or more now. With the AD you will gradually get a little stockpile. Use alot, add that splash, rinse, do 2 cleanses, use a little as leave in, SC and you will get the hang of it !

Trusted Contributor

How many pumps are you using? And, if you're doing a double cleanse, you are dividing that recommended number of pumps by two, and using half for the first cleanse and half for your second cleanse, right?

For me, I apply what I think I need to start with, add my water to emulsify and start massaging it into my scalp. As I do this, I can tell if I need more or not. A good way to tell if you're using enough product is to either use a good quality comb (never a brush on wet hair) or use your fingers as a comb, running it through your hair while you have the CC in. If you see a nice "line" of product on the ridge of the comb (or on your fingers), then you're using enough. If you're brushing out globs of CC, then you can probably cut back on the amount you're using. Your hair can only "accept" so much CC, and while it's very important to use enough product, there's no sense in being wasteful. Wen is a precious commodity to me, I don't want to see globs of it swirling down the drain :-)

Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 suebdoo said:
On 6/24/2014 WenGirl42 said: I do Smiley Wink Teeheehee!

lol ok. I sent you one the oher day but you didn't answer. Do I need to send you an email now or do you know?

Sorry! I was just in that account last week for the first time in a while, and haven't been back. Must have just missed you! I'll pop over there now Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

I do split up the the amount for each cleanse, and had been using around 10 or more per cleanse. I'll start using less and add more if needed. I really can't afford it if it goes that quickly!

Frequent Contributor

My hair was getting crunchy at the ends while using bamboo green tea too. I'm sad because I really love the smell. I changed my auto delivery from the last tsv to tea tree instead of the bamboo. From reading these threads I know it's from the protein because nothing else has changed.