Trusted Contributor

Re: WEN and Amino Acid or Protein Overload

On 6/24/2014 ginabfly said:

I was wondering how FAS would work on my hair, I'm just starting out here using Fig for my dry hair, and am tempted to buy the TSV from last fall with the 32oz CC, 2oz Oil, FAS 16oz CC and RTM, but I'm not sure if the FAS will work okay with my hair. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling the CC with proteins would turn my hair to straw. If I were to use it, should I use FAS first, then Fig as my second cleanse?

I just ordered two of those kits in Tea Tree, they're scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Yay!

First, be aware that FAS is very strongly scented. Very strongly. Personally, it grew on me and now I really like it, especially when mixed with Tea Tree (helps to tone down the strong maple scent). FAS performs really well for my hair (fine in texture, but thick). It gives me more shine than any other CC, plus great body. I just can't use it every day.

That set is a great value, and was too good for me to pass up!

I would give it a try, if you're just starting on Wen, then your hair could probably handle the seasonals well. I say that because my hair is "all Wen hair" now, I have no "shampoo" hair left. When 613/seasonals were first launched, I could use them all of the time. I think it's because I needed them to help repair the damaged hair. But, now that all of my hair is healthy, it can't tolerate all of that protein.

If you order this set, try it using it in different ways. There's no "right or wrong" way, whatever works best for you.........it's not a cake recipe, mix it up however you like!! :-)

Also, if you choose this set in Fig, you'll get the Fig/Sweet Orange oil, which is really nice. I love the scent of that one.

Contributor

I think my hair is on protein overload. I use the Lavendar daily and I couldn't figure out why it seemed to be getting dryer. I bought a gallon of the BGT. I'm sad to hear it causes the issue as well.

Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 DoxieMomma said:

I was wondering how FAS would work on my hair, I'm just starting out here using Fig for my dry hair, and am tempted to buy the TSV from last fall with the 32oz CC, 2oz Oil, FAS 16oz CC and RTM, but I'm not sure if the FAS will work okay with my hair. I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling the CC with proteins would turn my hair to straw. If I were to use it, should I use FAS first, then Fig as my second cleanse?

I just ordered two of those kits in Tea Tree, they're scheduled for delivery tomorrow! Yay!

First, be aware that FAS is very strongly scented. Very strongly. Personally, it grew on me and now I really like it, especially when mixed with Tea Tree (helps to tone down the strong maple scent). FAS performs really well for my hair (fine in texture, but thick). It gives me more shine than any other CC, plus great body. I just can't use it every day.

I would give it a try, if you're just starting on Wen, then your hair could probably handle the seasonals well. I say that because my hair is "all Wen hair" now, I have no "shampoo" hair left. When 613/seasonals were first launched, I could use them all of the time. I think it's because I needed them to help repair the damaged hair. But, now that all of my hair is healthy, it can't tolerate all of that protein.

If you order this set, try it using it in different ways. There's no "right or wrong" way, whatever works best for you.........it's not a cake recipe, mix it up however you like!! :-)

Also, if you choose this set in Fig, you'll get the Fig/Sweet Orange oil, which is really nice. I love the scent of that one.

Yes, this!
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 StacyCrane said:

I think my hair is on protein overload. I use the Lavendar daily and I couldn't figure out why it seemed to be getting dryer. I bought a gallon of the BGT. I'm sad to hear it causes the issue as well.

Lavender has a small amount of wheat protein, but not the extra amino acids in it. The lavender may not be moisturizing enough for you. However, the bamboo green tea does have the extra amino acids. If you are using BGT a lot, that could be why your hair is getting dry. You just have to experiment and use one formula at a time to see which one it is that is causing the dryness. If they both are drying your hair, you may need a more moisturizing formula like fig or sweet almond mint.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Super Contributor

Thanks for the input, my hair definitely needs help so may be it would work. I am a little afraid of FAS, but maybe I'll like it. I was tempted to order Fig & TT because of the value, but I'm not trying to break the bank either. I'm on the fence here, I wonder how long the deal will be available, since it was a TSV and is at the price again.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the input, my hair definitely needs help so may be it would work. I am a little afraid of FAS, but maybe I'll like it. I was tempted to order Fig & TT because of the value, but I'm not trying to break the bank either. I'm on the fence here, I wonder how long the deal will be available, since it was a TSV and is at the price again.

I actually skipped this TSV last year, I'd had an allergic reaction to the previous fall seasonal (Fall Ginger Pumpkin), so I was reluctant to order it because of the FAS (think it was a reaction to some of the spice extracts/essential oils used). I later ordered FAS to get the A-D of the 32 oz seasonals, and really liked it. So, I'm tickled to be able to get this at the same TSV price.

Who knows how long it will be available? This is the first time I've ever seen a former TSV "pop up" for more than a few hours.

Of course, Wen should have another TSV scheduled for the end of August/first of September. The last few years it has been the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. Who knows what goodies may be in store then??

The resident Wen mathematician/historian "Bebe" has put together a thread with a history of the previous TSVs. You may want to check that out, to get an idea of what's been offered in the past.

Honored Contributor

I really feel like people here are getting very paranoid about the protein issue without reason. I think it's become the hair version of going gluten-free. Some people need to go gluten-free because they have celiac disease and it's mandatory. Others do it because they hear others talking about it and can't even explain what gluten is if asked.

Do some experimenting and test out what works and doesn't work for you. I know I've got protein issues, so I limit my exposure. Everyone needs to work out on his or her own what works best for his or her own hair because we don't all need to avoid protein the way we don't all need to avoid gluten.

Dryness and/or a straw-like feel is a symptom, but it's also a symptom of a lot of other things. (For me, it's a symptom of my hair being in my head - dry is its natural state.) I use formulas that counteract that. My hair also feels like straw sometimes when I'm menstruating. I've got no explanation for that, but there it is and always has been. My hair gets brittle and breaks when I use too much protein, so I find it easier to just avoid it, but that's after I tested and discovered on my own.

Respected Contributor

On 6/24/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I really feel like people here are getting very paranoid about the protein issue without reason. I think it's become the hair version of going gluten-free. Some people need to go gluten-free because they have celiac disease and it's mandatory. Others do it because they hear others talking about it and can't even explain what gluten is if asked.

Do some experimenting and test out what works and doesn't work for you. I know I've got protein issues, so I limit my exposure. Everyone needs to work out on his or her own what works best for his or her own hair because we don't all need to avoid protein the way we don't all need to avoid gluten.

Dryness and/or a straw-like feel is a symptom, but it's also a symptom of a lot of other things. (For me, it's a symptom of my hair being in my head - dry is its natural state.) I use formulas that counteract that. My hair also feels like straw sometimes when I'm menstruating. I've got no explanation for that, but there it is and always has been. My hair gets brittle and breaks when I use too much protein, so I find it easier to just avoid it, but that's after I tested and discovered on my own.

I agree with you. Some people need more protein for their hair and some don't. I think people should try for themselves to see what their hair needs. I also cleanse everyday. I think how often you cleanse can even come into play. Maybe if I cleansed once or twice a week, I wouldn't have as much of an issue. Not sure?
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Respected Contributor

I think those that are just starting with Wen that may have dry, damaged, processed hair would probably do great with the seasonals, 613, etc. that have the extra amino acids because their hair may need it. But after awhile, once the hair becomes healthier, the amino acids may not be needed as much. My hair did great with 613 after I had my hair highlighted. Then later, once my hair was restored, not so much. It is all about finding that individual balance for your hair. The seasonals are a great way for Chaz to get people started with Wen because newer users may need the extra repair. Just be mindful that your hair may not need it as much later. I think my hair still needs the extra protein from time to time because it does add strength to my hair. I just have to be careful not to overdo it.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Trusted Contributor

On 6/24/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I agree with you on all points, well said. And I lol'd at your gluten comparison........so true!

I try to share my experiences, because I know that Wen didn't work perfectly the first few times I tried it. If it wasn't for some of the posts that I read on here years ago, I never would have known that adding a "splash" of water may very well mean a whole lot more than a splash! One poster described it as the CC would "bloom" when you had added enough water, and make it easier to emulsify and cleanse your scalp. Or that some people were doing a "double cleanse" before that was the method that was instructed on the bottle. My first few bottles said nothing about a double cleanse. (With a lot of product, and not adding much water, I felt like I was rubbing Crisco on my head.)

Everyone here is very helpful with sharing their experiences and results; however, people need to keep in mind that these are all individual experiences. As much as QVC would like them to believe, there is no one universal product that will work for everyone.