Trusted Contributor

Re: Using retinol all year round...Manuela says don't?

Wow, Funloving - you seriously make me blush and I'm not kidding {#emotions_dlg.wub} I don't even know how to respond to those beautifully kind words except, of course, to say a sincere and heartfelt thank you!!!

I'm not sure all would agree with you as I pick up on some who seem to want to go out of their way to place strategic digs or try to somehow disagree with me, often when there really isn't a topic per say to disagree with, but it's all part of participating on public boards such as these.

I am definitely a glass half full believer - some might even say a bit of a Pollyanna but I find life is just easier to bear and maneuver through if you maintain a positive attitude at all times. I have had my share of grief, sadness and misfortune, like many others here, and I have always found that by looking at the bright side and keeping my faith strong and active that it just somehow makes the journey less burdensome.

What has become one of my toughest challenges is trying to tolerate the impatience that has become so rampant in our world today. The "I want it now, no yesterday and you'd better not test me" is so hard for me to understand. There is an old saying that the older people get, they either become more mellow with age or the exact opposite, more demanding and intolerant. And somehow the later appears to be more prevalent although I sense that might be just because they are louder and impossible to ignore.

Anyway, thank you for those wonderfully kind words. We have been here a long time and while many of the names and posts have changed as time has passed, fortunately there are still a few here who have also been a delight, along for the ride with us on these forums.

You have been an equally delightful poster who I think many have enjoyed every bit as much as I have. I always feel when I see your name that the interaction will be intelligent, rational, informative, kind and enriching. Never unkind, cruel, thoughtless or lacking in compassion.

Thank you, my "Funloving friend" for being so generous with your words and really making my day. I'll always try to keep them in mind when I am tempted to not come back here for awhile. And lately, that has become a big temptation!

Have a super fabulous rest of your day! You certainly made mine that way {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

wackers

Frequent Contributor

Hi Dharma! I hope you are doing okay. I have lost some e-mail addresses (my computer has not been behaving nicely these days) so I was just on the boards reading and saw your name, and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here for what it's worth.

I have heard other cosmetic chemists, aestheticians, and even derms speak of this method before.

I believe Maneula is being totally upfront with her comment. It is definitely one of caution and should be heeded for some people. Skin cancer is on the rise and many people are not using adequate sun protection. And, while retinol does build collagen in the skin, it also has the affect of causing the skin to become more sensitive.

Skin cancer isn't the only issue as well. If you are not using adequate sun protection you can possibly increase your risk of skin rashes (my derm feels this way).

I personally feel I know my skin and I know how well I protect my skin, so I have no problem using retinol year around, but that is just me.

Manuela has to consider everyone when selling her products so she is giving the most cautious advice possible. While I appreciate her advice, ultimately you need to make that decision for yourself, or between you and your doctor. You know your skin better than anyone.

L2L

Honored Contributor

Hey, Wackers and Funloving -- get a room already, you two.{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.devil2}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

On 6/17/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Hey, Wackers and Funloving -- get a room already, you two.{#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.devil2}{#emotions_dlg.wub}

hahahahahahaha...

I wondered when someone would pipe up! I'm glad it was you and your whacked-humor.. which, BTW, is a big compliment.

You're a riot. A smart one, too! Hey! Wanna go in on that room with us? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Super Contributor

On 6/17/2014 SusyQ22a said:
On 6/16/2014 Irishrose136 said:
On 6/16/2014 gabstoomuch said:

Wow, rough comment on Manuela and her skin. She is not a "paid spokesperson, like fake Dr. P uses.(I just saw a TV clip of him branching off to making "bikini's. It was a WHOA moment for sure).

She is a chemist, a cosmetic chemist, and she owns the company. She is known globally, so her credibility is nothing to sneeze at.

I would like to hear what she said in the context of her whole conversation, not just one line. Manuela and her husband know their stuff, from the birth of a cell to becoming skin. She probably explained "why" she said that.

From the biography on Perricone....Not hardly fake

Nicholas Perricone, MD, FACN, is a board-certified clinical and research dermatologist. Dr. Perricone completed medical school in just three years, graduating with distinction. He completed his internship in Pediatrics at Yale Medical School and his Dermatology Residency at Ford Medical Center. Dr. Perricone is regarded as the Father of the Inflammation Theory of Aging. He is the author of the three New York Times Best Sellers, The Perricone Promise (Warner Books 2004), The Perricone Prescription (HarperCollins 2002), and The Wrinkle Cure (Warner Books 1998).

Dr. Perricone is Adjunct Professor of Medicine at Michigan State University's College of Human Medicine. He is certified by the American Board of Dermatology, is a Fellow of the New York Academy of Sciences, and a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. He is also a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and the Society of Investigative Dermatology. Dr. Perricone has served as Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Yale School of Medicine and as Chief of Dermatology at the state of Connecticut's Veterans Hospital.
Source: http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Nicholas-Perricone-Biography
eta: Edit out HTML Code
Irishrose I think the person meant that Dr. Perricone's rep was a fake not him.

Thanks SuzyQ22A! Our language is all about word order......I see now that my English teacher mind read it literally vs as intended. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Honored Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Funloving said:

hahahahahahaha...

I wondered when someone would pipe up! I'm glad it was you and your whacked-humor.. which, BTW, is a big compliment.

You're a riot. A smart one, too! Hey! Wanna go in on that room with us? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

You're inviting me into that room with you two, and I'm the one with "whacked-humor?????????????????? {#emotions_dlg.scared}{#emotions_dlg.lol}

But seriously, I do take that as a most wonderful compliment. Unwhacked humor is not worth having.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Suzy, I was also wondering who might comment on our "brief OT moments" and wholeheartedly agree with FL that I am relieved it was you. Others might not have been nearly as amusing (or as pleasant) about it was you were. You really did make me laugh {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Hey, I'm all in if you want to join us too - who knows what kind of (innocent{#emotions_dlg.devil2}) trouble we could get in to - maybe an all day venture into beauty treatments with some refreshing beverages to keep us fully hydrated! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Trusted Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Love2Laugh said:

Hi Dharma! I hope you are doing okay. I have lost some e-mail addresses (my computer has not been behaving nicely these days) so I was just on the boards reading and saw your name, and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here for what it's worth.

I have heard other cosmetic chemists, aestheticians, and even derms speak of this method before.

I believe Maneula is being totally upfront with her comment. It is definitely one of caution and should be heeded for some people. Skin cancer is on the rise and many people are not using adequate sun protection. And, while retinol does build collagen in the skin, it also has the affect of causing the skin to become more sensitive.

Skin cancer isn't the only issue as well. If you are not using adequate sun protection you can possibly increase your risk of skin rashes (my derm feels this way).

I personally feel I know my skin and I know how well I protect my skin, so I have no problem using retinol year around, but that is just me.

Manuela has to consider everyone when selling her products so she is giving the most cautious advice possible. While I appreciate her advice, ultimately you need to make that decision for yourself, or between you and your doctor. You know your skin better than anyone.

L2L

L2L - you brought up some excellent points! I think some don't realize that responsible skincare experts, like Manuela, have a responsibility to really focus more on those who don't always make the wisest decisions. Manuela knows her hardcore customers will use common sense but all too often, the focus has to be on those who are more likely to not consider all the risks and possible side effects of the products they use nor take the appropriate and necessary precautions to protect themselves (and in this case, their skin.)

You did an exceptional job elaborating on the "total picture."{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Regular Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Love2Laugh said:

...I have heard other cosmetic chemists, aestheticians, and even derms speak of this method before...

L2L

I have as well. You want to avoid the Hayflick limit, I believe. I only mention it because of the opportunity to say hi to an old friend. L2L. How long has it been? Smile

Super Contributor

Thanks to everyone who posted insightful and helpful answers. I appreciate it!

(Hello L2L! I hope you're doing well.)