Frequent Contributor

Re: Using retinol all year round...Manuela says don't?

On 6/18/2014 wackers said:
On 6/17/2014 Love2Laugh said:

Hi Dharma! I hope you are doing okay. I have lost some e-mail addresses (my computer has not been behaving nicely these days) so I was just on the boards reading and saw your name, and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here for what it's worth.

I have heard other cosmetic chemists, aestheticians, and even derms speak of this method before.

I believe Maneula is being totally upfront with her comment. It is definitely one of caution and should be heeded for some people. Skin cancer is on the rise and many people are not using adequate sun protection. And, while retinol does build collagen in the skin, it also has the affect of causing the skin to become more sensitive.

Skin cancer isn't the only issue as well. If you are not using adequate sun protection you can possibly increase your risk of skin rashes (my derm feels this way).

I personally feel I know my skin and I know how well I protect my skin, so I have no problem using retinol year around, but that is just me.

Manuela has to consider everyone when selling her products so she is giving the most cautious advice possible. While I appreciate her advice, ultimately you need to make that decision for yourself, or between you and your doctor. You know your skin better than anyone.

L2L

L2L - you brought up some excellent points! I think some don't realize that responsible skincare experts, like Manuela, have a responsibility to really focus more on those who don't always make the wisest decisions. Manuela knows her hardcore customers will use common sense but all too often, the focus has to be on those who are more likely to not consider all the risks and possible side effects of the products they use nor take the appropriate and necessary precautions to protect themselves (and in this case, their skin.)

You did an exceptional job elaborating on the "total picture."{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Wackers, thank you! I agree with you. Well said.

I get to read on here when I can which isn't too often these days, and this subject caught my eye. You have always been someone on these boards whose opinion I value. So thank you goes right back to you. Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

On 6/18/2014 ProductGuy said:

...I have heard other cosmetic chemists, aestheticians, and even derms speak of this method before...

L2L

I have as well. You want to avoid the Hayflick limit, I believe. I only mention it because of the opportunity to say hi to an old friend. L2L. How long has it been? Smile

Hi ProductGuy!! Long time no "see." It has been a long while. How are you? So GOOD to hear from you. Yes, I still am in conflict with that darn Hayflick Limit! But my recent research on retinol leads me to believe it has more than just an affect on slowing that Hayflick limit down than what I used to think. Do you have any thoughts about it? I have always valued your opinion about skin care.

Frequent Contributor

Hey Dharma! How are you?

I am doing alright. I am in the middle of taking care of our dying doggie. He has cancer in the spleen along with anemia. We just found out about it 2 weeks ago, and it has been a really emotional ride. He had a really bad down day again yesterday. I am thankful for our vet. She has given me her cell number so I can contact her anytime I need to. I have about cried myself out, but now I am in caretaker mode, so trying to keep my emotions at bay. My daughter is taking it the hardest as it was her dog.

The boards here are a nice distraction. I tried to read them when I can, but it isn't anywhere near as often as it used to be. I just happened to catch your post here, so yesterday was a rough day for our little poochie, and I needed a good distraction. REtinol is one of my favorite subjects so it was nice to throw in my 2 cents.

Thanks for posting - it was a good question to bring up!

Regular Contributor

The only thing I know about the Hayflick limit is that it exists and that's why some recommend an off-period when using retinol/retinoid. The only retinol product that ever improved my skin was Green Cream Level 6. You never even hear it mentioned anymore. No other retinol product had that effect on my skin. I remember they stressed how important it was to get to daily usage and I never could, so I stopped it altogether.

Right now I'm playing with GHK-Cu copper peptides at night. I just started two days ago. Florida and sun damage are a tough combo. Acids and retinols make me more sun-sensitive. Of course, I wear sunscreen and a hat, but it just happens here.

L2L, I have always valued your opinions as well. I guess one thing we both know for sure, never believe what they tell you. Wink

Super Contributor

L2L I am so very sorry about your family's dog. When the time comes to say good-bye he will let you know, and then just remember he'll be pain free and always in your heart. Hugs, friend.

Super Contributor

On 6/18/2014 Love2Laugh said:

Hey Dharma! How are you?

I am doing alright. I am in the middle of taking care of our dying doggie. He has cancer in the spleen along with anemia. We just found out about it 2 weeks ago, and it has been a really emotional ride. He had a really bad down day again yesterday. I am thankful for our vet. She has given me her cell number so I can contact her anytime I need to. I have about cried myself out, but now I am in caretaker mode, so trying to keep my emotions at bay. My daughter is taking it the hardest as it was her dog.

The boards here are a nice distraction. I tried to read them when I can, but it isn't anywhere near as often as it used to be. I just happened to catch your post here, so yesterday was a rough day for our little poochie, and I needed a good distraction. REtinol is one of my favorite subjects so it was nice to throw in my 2 cents.

Thanks for posting - it was a good question to bring up!

I am so sorry to hear about your doggie. I know how your daughter feels. I grew up with my toy poodle. Her name was Missy. When I got married, she went with me. I couldn't imagine leaving her. She died at age 14 of cancer and I took it really bad. She was my baby before I had kids. My prayers go out to your family.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/18/2014 Love2Laugh said:
On 6/18/2014 ProductGuy said:

...I have heard other cosmetic chemists, aestheticians, and even derms speak of this method before...

L2L

I have as well. You want to avoid the Hayflick limit, I believe. I only mention it because of the opportunity to say hi to an old friend. L2L. How long has it been? Smile

Hi ProductGuy!! Long time no "see." It has been a long while. How are you? So GOOD to hear from you. Yes, I still am in conflict with that darn Hayflick Limit! But my recent research on retinol leads me to believe it has more than just an affect on slowing that Hayflick limit down than what I used to think. Do you have any thoughts about it? I have always valued your opinion about skin care.

You both have my curiosity over exactly what is this Hayflick Limit and am hopeful that one or both of you might have the chance to elaborate, at some point anyway.

ProductGuy ............ interesting that you spoke about Green Cream level 6 because I had more skin reactions from that than I did from using genuine RA. My skin peeled and flaked rampantly and it came as such a surprise because I never had that strong of a reaction from the prescription prescribed RA. I finally found if I used that exfoliating machine Susan Lucci sold on HSN, I could get the excessive peeling and flaking under control. I have commented a few times here about Green Cream and it's effectiveness. I found out about GC through the Editor of Vogue as she recommended it highly. I have not used it for a long time now as I prefer a more subtle retinol. RA (and imo, strong retinols like GC) seem to have become somewhat controversial for use by those over 60 so my feeling is that less aggressive retinols are a safer alternative for me.

L2L .............. hey, right back at you in regards to valuing opinions. I have missed seeing your posts here along with your knowledgeable sharing . And please let me give you my sincerest regards about your precious little guy. I went through that with both my Malteses (fortunately 2 years apart) in 2009 and 2011 and it is heartbreaking. There is no easy way to deal with it. My genuine thoughts and prayers to your entire family. Sometimes it seems like the tears will never stop nor will the intensity of the sadness and I am so sorry you are all going through that. I will keep him and all of you in my prayers.

Super Contributor

On 6/19/2014 wackers said:

You both have my curiosity over exactly what is this Hayflick Limit and am hopeful that one or both of you might have the chance to elaborate, at some point anyway.

Yeah, I had to google that. Smile

Wackers, what retinol do you use? I know you must have said on this board but I don't recall. I'm also thinking a lower strength is working for me so I'll stick with it, especially during summer since that seems to be somewhat controversial.

Trusted Contributor

Hyacinth, do you get your retin a from a dermatologist?
Trusted Contributor

On 6/19/2014 Dharma_Initiative said:
On 6/19/2014 wackers said:<br /> <br /> You both have my curiosity over exactly what is this Hayflick Limit and am hopeful that one or both of you might have the chance to elaborate, at some point anyway.

Yeah, I had to google that. Smile

Wackers, what retinol do you use? I know you must have said on this board but I don't recall. I'm also thinking a lower strength is working for me so I'll stick with it, especially during summer since that seems to be somewhat controversial.

I am currently using Kate S's Retasphere and love it. It is so moisturizing, which isn't common for any RA or retinol product, usually that is. I do follow it up with her Age Arrest, as they came in a kit, but think I'd could really get away with just the Retasphere if I needed or wanted to. And I have very dry skin. Prior to this, I was using Isomers Retiniacin which I also liked quite well. Think I may stick with this Retasphere for awhile though as it is just so pleasant to use.

lyninMi has brought up here a few times that her Dermatologist will not prescribe RA for any of her patients over 60. She feels (I believe this is what lyn said but if I am wrong, don't shoot me) that the potential for thinning the skin becomes a greater risk over 60 and that makes sense to me. I also think that there is a limit to what RA can do, the older (or more mature Wink) we get so why take the risk (for higher strengths) when the benefits have slowed down. I do think using a more subtle form still helps with encouraging skin rejuvenation so am just kind of finding a happy balance.