Esteemed Contributor

Re: Using retinol all year round...Manuela says don't?

I don't watch Manuela or use Isomers, and I'd never believe what "one" person says - I'd do a little research (which I did not do before making this comment).

To me, this is totally backwards. Since winter makes my skin drier, and Retinol makes my skin drier, it seems like you'd not use Retinol during the winter because it would dry out your complexion. Again, just my opinion, since Retinol is a rather weak product anyway, I use it year-round. Consistency is the key, not 6 months on and 6 months off.

But, what do I know?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

When there was a strong belief that RA and retinols made the skin more photo sensitive, the concern my derms had was that in the summer months, when the sun can be far more intense and people in general spend more time outside, that those using it might not always protect their skin as thoroughly as they considered safe. So to avoid any negative reactions, they recommended a hiatus.

Now that there is some research to possibly negate that thought, there might be a change in attitude about discontinuing use in the summer months. It might also depend on where you reside. I live in a really sunny climate so derms here might be more cautious.

As far as Manuela is concerned, I would guess from her knowledge as a skin chemist, she might also believe that the risk outweighs any benefit. Again, she may also alter her view once more info becomes available and accepted regarding retinols, RA and the sun.

It has nothing to do with dryness of the skin but rather the prevailing thoughts that sunlight made the skin more at risk for sun damage. And the summer months are far more likely to do that than winter months. Dermatologists take potential sun damage very seriously and will advise their patients according to their concerns. Obviously both derms and Manuela might alter their recommendations if it becomes widely accepted that the skin is not at more risk from photosensitivity from using retinols and RA, as it has been previously believed to be.

Honored Contributor

I believe gabstoomuch was complaining about the lacking credentials of Dr. Perricone's spokesperson, Dana, not the good doctor himself.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/17/2014 depglass said:

I believe gabstoomuch was complaining about the lacking credentials of Dr. Perricone's spokesperson, Dana, not the good doctor himself.

I thought the very same thing. I got the impression that the annoyance was a reflection on the Representative selling his skincare line here who doesn't hold those kind of credentials, not actually questioning the pedigree of the good Doctor himself.

Respected Contributor

On 6/17/2014 wackers said:

When there was a strong belief that RA and retinols made the skin more photo sensitive, the concern my derms had was that in the summer months, when the sun can be far more intense and people in general spend more time outside, that those using it might not always protect their skin as thoroughly as they considered safe. So to avoid any negative reactions, they recommended a hiatus.

Now that there is some research to possibly negate that thought, there might be a change in attitude about discontinuing use in the summer months. It might also depend on where you reside. I live in a really sunny climate so derms here might be more cautious.

As far as Manuela is concerned, I would guess from her knowledge as a skin chemist, she might also believe that the risk outweighs any benefit. Again, she may also alter her view once more info becomes available and accepted regarding retinols, RA and the sun.

It has nothing to do with dryness of the skin but rather the prevailing thoughts that sunlight made the skin more at risk for sun damage. And the summer months are far more likely to do that than winter months. Dermatologists take potential sun damage very seriously and will advise their patients according to their concerns. Obviously both derms and Manuela might alter their recommendations if it becomes widely accepted that the skin is not at more risk from photosensitivity from using retinols and RA, as it has been previously believed to be.

Well said.

Trusted Contributor

Funloving - you always brighten my day, regardless of whether you are posting some nice words or not, which in this case, of course you did just happen to do that too.

Whenever I see that you have posted, it just always make me smile. And my genuine thanks for being such a pleasant and delightful poster here on the BB or elsewhere in the Forums. {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Have a lovely day today!!

Respected Contributor

Ah, wackers... coming from you, your very thoughtful words made MY day! Your intelligent, articulate posts-- and the courtesy shown with your fellow posters is ever-present.

You're a real joy to have here, and we're all fortunate to have you! You always give great sound & reasonable advice.. and share excellent food for thought. Those are just a few of your delightful & genuine character traits.

I've never seen you engage in hateful mind game or mean-spirited threads often found on any forum - though when you have, it's only to be a voice of reason rather than ever adding fuel to the fire. You're much too positive and classy for that. I'm drawn to people who look at life with the glass half full (regardless of difficult circumstances we all go through) --

and you fit that to a T.

In a nutshell you're a lovely person who is pure class.

This isn't a t*t for-tat compliment. (Mr. Censor won't allow that word {#emotions_dlg.laugh})

We've both been here a long time.

The very genuine, caring & classy wackers always shines brightly through.

Thank you for that and...

enjoy your day too! {#emotions_dlg.wub}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Irishrose136 said:
On 6/16/2014 gabstoomuch said:

Wow, rough comment on Manuela and her skin. She is not a "paid spokesperson, like fake Dr. P uses.(I just saw a TV clip of him branching off to making "bikini's. It was a WHOA moment for sure).

She is a chemist, a cosmetic chemist, and she owns the company. She is known globally, so her credibility is nothing to sneeze at.

I would like to hear what she said in the context of her whole conversation, not just one line. Manuela and her husband know their stuff, from the birth of a cell to becoming skin. She probably explained "why" she said that.

From the biography on Perricone....Not hardly fake

Nicholas Perricone, MD, FACN, is a board-certified clinical and research dermatologist. Dr. Perricone completed medical school in just three years, graduating with distinction. He completed his internship in Pediatrics at Yale Medical School and his Dermatology Residency at Ford Medical Center. Dr. Perricone is regarded as the Father of the Inflammation Theory of Aging. He is the author of the three New York Times Best Sellers, The Perricone Promise (Warner Books 2004), The Perricone Prescription (HarperCollins 2002), and The Wrinkle Cure (Warner Books 1998).

Dr. Perricone is Adjunct Professor of Medicine at Michigan State University's College of Human Medicine. He is certified by the American Board of Dermatology, is a Fellow of the New York Academy of Sciences, and a Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. He is also a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology and the Society of Investigative Dermatology. Dr. Perricone has served as Assistant Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Yale School of Medicine and as Chief of Dermatology at the state of Connecticut's Veterans Hospital.
Source: http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Nicholas-Perricone-Biography
eta: Edit out HTML Code
Irishrose I think the person meant that Dr. Perricone's rep was a fake not him.
Trusted Contributor

I was referring to Dana (is that her name?). I know Dr Perricone is credible, I just can't afford his products.

His spoke person tells the story of how she stalked him and HAD to work for him, and it is just creepy.

Regular Contributor

On 6/16/2014 Dharma_Initiative said:

A friend told me that last time she saw Manuela (Isomers) presenting she said that if you've been using a retinol for most of the year it would be a good idea to stop using it during the summer months.

Comments? I've never heard that before and have been using retinol year round. I use SPF daily year round, as well.

Manuela is correct. The directions even refer to that fact that users are sun sensitive, both OTO and prescription strength. If you use Retinol, you must use a product with a good SPF.