Super Contributor

Using Oil to Cleanse With Combo/Oily Skin

I'm hoping the Beauties would be willing to help me learn about using oil(s) to cleanse combo/oily skin. It's my understanding that this approach should result in balancing out the complexion so that production of sebum is normalized.

I'd like to know what oils people have used and liked. And how do you apply the oil - wipe across the face with a round cotton applicator? Are there other steps that are important?

Has anyone who used this method started out with oily skin? How long did it take for you to see a positive change?

I can understand how the use of cleansing oil could normalize dry skin. I'm having trouble with the concept of using oil with my skin when I've spent my adult life seeking out all things oil-free. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

I apologize because I'm sure this topic has been discussed before. There's actually a little TOO much for me to easily wade through. I'm hoping this thread can be my Cliff Note's version, from posters I know and trust.

Thanks! Kiss

Irish

Frequent Contributor

Re: Using Oil to Cleanse With Combo/Oily Skin

I undersand your hesitation and think a lot of people feel the same way. I have combination skin plus rosacea, so I have avoided oil most of my life as well. I finally broke down and tried the oil cleansing method (ocm) and I love it. I have only used the Josie Maran one but it is fantastic as both a makeup remover and facial cleanser, this is the cleansing oil and not the pure argan oil by the way.

I take about a teaspoon amount of oil in my hand and start massaging it into my face..dont wet your face or hand before hand just start with the oil, pamper yourself a little but and massage it in for a good minute or two, you dont have to use the Josie one but I can atest that I massage it all over my eyelids and eye lashes and there is not stinging or irritation. Then, once you have massaged the oild into your face, wet your hands with warm water, dont splash it on your face just take your wet hands and emulsify the oild on your face, again go all over where you placed the oil and once it is emulsifiedi it will turn a mily white color, then take a warm or hot cloth and wipe everything off your face.

I have not had a breakout or any clogged pores since trying this and I really like it alot. My forehead, nose and chin are usually pretty oily but this method works. The concept behind this is oil will remove oil. Definitely google OM to read more as well as recommendations for oils to use.

Super Contributor

Thank you so much, Sullw! And welcome to the Board. Smile

OCM - Now I have the name for the process I'm interested in. That makes it so much easier to google and research.

Sullw, have you ever had trouble with milia developing? I've been having trouble confirming the popular belief that emollient creams and/or oils are responsible for the development of milia..............or disproving it. I know that a milium is made up of trapped skin cells where the skin has created a pocket and then folded over itself. But something must "trigger" that and I would like to discover the role creams and oil play.

Thanks for giving me step by step directions!

I just bought Boscia exfoliating powder that can be mixed with water or oil. And someone (BC?) recommended the Boscia cleansing oil. That sounds like a possibility.

Super Contributor

Has anyone used Boscia Tsubaki Cleansing Oil-Gel?

There is also Boscia Tsubaki Beauty Oil.

Has anyone had experience with one or the other?

Honored Contributor

Hi Irishrose136 - I totally understand your reservations about purposely putting oil on your face. Since puberty, I've gone through the typical complexion changes and settled into my adult life with combo skin/an oilier T-zone. I've bought astringents, used oil-free this and that, thinking it would help. You know what? It didn't. I'd read here about cleansing oils and would think, "why in the world would someone want to do that?" But once I understood the logic, it made perfect sense to me. Think back to the days of science class. Oil and water don't mix, and oil cuts/dissolves oil. Right? Our brains will do whatever it's called upon to do to maintain or heal the skin. When our skin is normal, it's got a proper balance of oil. When it's dry, it calls upon the brain to send more. So when we use the oil free products to dry things up, that experience is only temporary because the skin sends a message to the brain saying, "hey things are a bit dry down here, send some oil". The brain responds appropriately and sends oil to compensate and we end up with the oil skid again - it's a vicious cycle. When we use a cleansing oil, it removes the impurities without drying out the skin. The brain doesn't get the "hey, we could use some help here" message because the skin is happy and clean at the same time. With consistency, the skin balances out naturally (and honestly, it doesn't take long for that to happen).

Once it all clicked, I was primed and ready when I saw the Tatcha demo the first time, but I also thought her stuff was way too expensive for my budget. I went on a search for cleansing oil and enzyme powder dupes and got lucky on Amazon. The cleansing oil I found is called Dr. Young's Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil. Lots of people like the DHC cleansing oil, but I don't care for it. DHC is an olive oil cleanser whereas Dr. Young’s has Camellia oil (like Tatcha’s) and some other beneficial oils, but no mineral oil. Once I tried Dr. Young's I was sold. It’s less expensive, and you get more in the bottle. You only need a couple of pumps per cleanse so it lasts a long time - a very good value, IMO.

To cleanse, I take 1-2 pumps of the Dr. Young's, apply it to my face and massage it around a little bit. Then I get my fingertips wet and go back to massage a little more. The addition of the water makes the cleansing oil turn into a cleansing milk, just like Tatcha's does. I then use a warm (not hot) damp washcloth to remove everything (or hop into the shower and rinse off). The cleansing oil gets every bit of makeup off (BB/CC cream, eyeliner, eyebrow pencil) and has purged all the gunk out of my pores (no blackheads). And if I do get an occasional zit, they are few and far between, and gone just as fast as it popped up. It might not be the most popular, but Dr. Young’s Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil is the best one for me. If you decide to try it, it’s only available on Amazon. Don’t let the shipping fee scare you away. Even with the shipping cost, it’s still a better value than Tatcha’s.

Best of luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the best education I've come across in a long time explaining the different oils and who should use what. (Other than theoilcleansingmethod.com)

http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/oils-specifically-for-acne-prone-skin/

Honored Contributor

Irish, although I know that this following info from PC's site isn't directly germane to your question, it does include some information that might be relevant, particularly the facts about hormones and also the suggestion about avoiding certain ingredients. Of course, YMMV, depending upon your skin:

<h2>Myth: Oily skin can be controlled with the right products.</h2>

Fact: Possibly, but right now this is mere conjecture, involving an extremely complicated and difficult-to-understand process.

Oil production is triggered primarily by androgens and estrogen (male and female hormones, respectively), and altering hormone production topically is not something available in the realm of cosmetics. However, the sebaceous gland itself also produces active androgens, which can increase sebum excretion. What can happen is that stress-sensing skin signals (think skin inflammation and irritation) can lead to the production and release of androgens and cause more oil production, which can clog pores. That makes topical irritation and inflammation bad for skin, but that still doesn't affect the production of hormones inside the body.

Read More »

What you can do is use a retinoid (vitamin A or tretinoin) to improve the shape of the pore so that the oil can flow more evenly and prevent clogging. There is some research that niacinamide in skin-care products can help, but no one is quite sure why. You also can avoid making matters worse by not using products that contain oils or thick, emollient ingredients. You can absorb surface oil by using powders, mattifiers, or clay masks, although avoid masks that contain irritating ingredients. How often you should use a mask depends on your skin type; some people use one every day, others once a week. These types of mask may be used after cleansing, left on for 10-15 minutes, and then rinsed with tepid water.

(Sources: Clinical Dermatology, September-October 2004, pages 360-366; Experimental Dermatology, June 2008, pages 542-551)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 6/28/2014 Harpa said:

This is the best education I've come across in a long time explaining the different oils and who should use what. (Other than theoilcleansingmethod.com)

Harpa, I can't seem to make your link work.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I know it is fashionable right now and it may work for some.

I tried it and I did not have good results - I used Julep's facial cleansing oil and I had breakouts (little whiteheads - like a teenager) and clogged pores within 5 days. I still have an almost full bottle that I use when I have stubborn eye makeup and I only use it around my eyes (without any issues).

So for me with my skin it was a no-go. But for others it may work well.

I have oily/combo skin and I am prone to clogged pores.

For clear skin I need to stick to a different approach

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/28/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 6/28/2014 Harpa said:

Harpa, I can't seem to make your link work.

suzyQ3, you're the one who taught me! What did you do wrong?! Smiley Happy

I guess I need a refresher. I think I have trouble with the target part. Am I supposed to check "open link in same" or "open link in new"...? I don't know what I'm doing wrong. (Sorry, you will have to cut & paste until I can get another lesson.)