Honored Contributor

Tuesday, June 3, Senior Day @ Walgreens

{#emotions_dlg.scared}Evidentially, you can no longer receive the 15% or 20% off sale items. That is a real shame but at least the program has not been deleted.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Tuesday, June 3, Senior Day @ Walgreens

Sounds like a good deal, but Walgreens is very overpriced, Walmart is probably cheaper with no discount.

Honored Contributor

On 6/1/2014 Shelbelle said:

Sounds like a good deal, but Walgreens is very overpriced, Walmart is probably cheaper with no discount.

Yes, on some items Walgreens is higher, but there are many items that are priced the same especially in Beauty. I have there facial tissue to be excellent (the Walgreens brand and I love their sponges for the kitchen). I think you have to pick & choose.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

So true, my Mom always said, you have to know your prices, in several stores.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't this start when someone turns 55? I predict the program will end this October.

It's all I had to look forward to!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

Even with the percentage off they are still higher than other stores, I quit going to senior day.

Respected Contributor

On 6/1/2014 Shelbelle said:

ITA!!! Walgreen's is a rip off even with their "senior discount". One example, Cetaphil lotion 16 oz: Walgreens price: $16.99. Target: $8.59. No deals at Walgreens!

Respected Contributor

I think I've made every senior day for the past year or so (ahem), but would get products at a BOGO price plus the 15%. This was a good deal, but I didn't go last month because they changed the policy. I will go Tuesday to stock up on a Walgreens brand product for the 20% but I'm disappointed in the change. I recently ordered my concealer from Ulta with a BOGO price plus one of their coupons, normally would have gone to Walgreens.

Skylands, you got me curious about the Cetaphil price, because I've never seen that large of a discrepancy. The Walgreens price I found was $10.79 for the same product at Target that costs $8.59. Still more of course, but in the "old days" you could get a BOGO plus 15%.

Honored Contributor

If you don't like Walgreens then don't shop there. Why are some of you even replying to this thread if you hate Walgreens?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the monthly reminder!

Just like everything else we need to comparison shop even when things are on sale. Sometimes they have the best deal, sometimes they don't. I don't often find the best prices there but once in a while I do & I like to take advantage of the Senior Discount at those times to make it even better.

If you don't check around for the best price & assume a sale price is the best you'll find, well, yes, you can expect to find out later that you paid more.