Honored Contributor

Re: Tired of throwing away my Vit C serum

@Drythe wrote:

I use and love Drunk Elephant on my combo skin.!

Have had NO problems with it turning, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd bottle.

It is pricey.

@Drythe, Beautypedia raves about this serum, but notice that several of the Community Reviews mention that it smells terrible and that it's very tacky.

Do have any such problems with it?

Also, Beautypedia does mention that because of a couple of the ingredients, it might be preferred by those with normal or dry skin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@philogirl wrote:

Where do yo buy Mad Hippie? Thanks.

Hi @philogirl - Don't buy it from the MH website.  The site is good for information purposes but you can find it a lot cheaper other places.  Do some comparison shopping online.  Sometimes you might get lucky on eBay, but if you're looking for an online website/store check out Pure Formulas (free shipping on all orders), iHerb, Vitacost, Amazon, etc.  About a week and a half ago, Pure Formulas had the Vitamin C serum on sale for just under $23.00.  Usually it's around $27. 

Thank you for the great information, JLF! 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

It is pricey.

@Drythe, Beautypedia raves about this serum, but notice that several of the Community Reviews mention that it smells terrible and that it's very tacky.

Also, Beautypedia does mention that because of a couple of the ingredients, it might be preferred by those with normal or dry skin.

@suzyQ3

Nope, no tackiness noticed, it spreads nicely.  As for scent, I smell absolutely nothing.  As mentioned I have combo skin and I love it!  Just wish it were not so pricey - but sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

RE: Beautypedia - have found it is not to be a reliable source for me.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

It is pricey.

@suzyQ3

Nope, no tackiness noticed, it spreads nicely.  As for scent, I smell absolutely nothing.  As mentioned I have combo skin and I love it!  Just wish it were not so pricey - but sometimes you DO get what you pay for.

@Drythe, Beautypedia gave it a 5-star rave. It was  But readers can weigh in by clicking on "Community Reviews." That's where I saw references to tackiness and smell.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

It is pricey.

@suzyQ3

@Drythe, Beautypedia gave it a 5-star rave. It was  But readers can weigh in by clicking on "Community Reviews." That's where I saw references to tackiness and smell.

@suzyQ3

No bashing of Beautypedia intended.  Over a longish period of time their best picks just weren't best for me, so I have turned to other sources.  

Thank you for letting me know Drunk Elephant C was rated so well there.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Regular Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

It is pricey.

@suzyQ3

I wonder if they had the previous formula because the one I just started using soaks into the skin and I feel nothing on the surface.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

It is pricey.

@suzyQ3

@suzyQ3

No bashing of Beautypedia intended.  Over a longish period of time their best picks just weren't best for me, so I have turned to other sources.  

@Drythe, they have given every DE product a five-star rating, and the reviews themselves are as glowing as I've ever seen on Beautypedia.

This has helped me to consider the serum. I really would like to stick with L-Ascorbic acid, if possible. It might just be worth the price rather than saving money but not getting the results I want.

Can you tell that I'm a bit conflicted? :-).

Honored Contributor

<snip>

@suzyQ3

@Drythe, they have given every DE product a five-star rating, and the reviews themselves are as glowing as I've ever seen on Beautypedia.

This has helped me to consider the serum. I really would like to stick with L-Ascorbic acid, if possible. It might just be worth the price rather than saving money but not getting the results I want.

Can you tell that I'm a bit conflicted? :-).

@suzyQ3

If it helps Dermstore (dot)com has this product on sale right now.  It is out of stock, but as of last night they were still taking orders for 2 week delivery. I think it is 20% off.

I do know about these conflicts.  I'm trying to pare down to just a few companies whose products I use, but then, what about all those NEW things I want to try?

Honored Contributor

@MissSugarKane wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

It is pricey.

@suzyQ3

I wonder if they had the previous formula because the one I just started using soaks into the skin and I feel nothing on the surface.

@MissSugarKaneThe ones that mention smell and texture are quite recent. But you never know what their yardstick is for either. I've often read reviews  that make me wonder whether the person was really talking about the same product as mine.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe, do you trust that Dermstore has as fresh stock as would the company?

Dumb question, since they're obviously going to replenish their stock. But here's something funny from the description on the item page for the C serum on dermstore. See if you catch it:

Long term sun exposure may lead to uneven skin tone, discoloration and free-radical damage. Luckily, Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum features all that you need to reverse the visible damage the sun has left behind. Its new formulation is just as potent as the original and the results are just as immediate. Enriched with clinically effective vitamin C and ferulic acid to smooth and soothe over UV damage, this serum helps deliver a radiant presentation.

The gel texture is cool to the touch and offers an easy application to your targeted areas. Its airless pump packaging prevents the high quantity of vitamin C from losing its efficacy. Complete with moisture-replenishing lips, antioxidants and peptides for an all-encompassing anti-aging elixir, it continues to firm, plump and visibly lift your skin for a minimum of 72 hours. The result? A luminous complexion destined to stand the test of time.