Honored Contributor

Tired of throwing away my Vit C serum

I have used and liked the NCN Vit C serum for at least a couple years now and have highly recommended it here often.

But I just had to trash my  bottle because it was definitely darkening. It was probably still safe but not particularly effective. The last bottle had the same problem. The company claims that it remains stable for six months.

One of the pros of this product is it's relatively large size. It's 1.3 ounces rather than the normal one ounce. But since I use it only once a day, one bottle lasts me close to the end of its shelf life. I opened this last bottle four months ago.

I am considering either forgetting Vit C altogether or switching to a MAP-based Vit C for better stability. NuFountain makes one with an impressive and short ingredient deck. BabyFace also makes one, but the deck is much more crowded and less appealing to me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: Tired of throwing away my Vit C serum

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have used and liked the NCN Vit C serum for at least a couple years now and have highly recommended it here often.

But I just had to trash my  bottle because it was definitely darkening. It was probably still safe but not particularly effective. The last bottle had the same problem. The company claims that it remains stable for six months.

One of the pros of this product is it's relatively large size. It's 1.3 ounces rather than the normal one ounce. But since I use it only once a day, one bottle lasts me close to the end of its shelf life. I opened this last bottle four months ago.

I am considering either forgetting Vit C altogether or switching to a MAP-based Vit C for better stability. NuFountain makes one with an impressive and short ingredient deck. BabyFace also makes one, but the deck is much more crowded and less appealing to me.

I have stopped using NCN Vitamin C for the very same reason.

Honored Contributor

I have not repurchased the NCN vitamin C either when I ran out.  I LOVED that product but I was finding that it was turning quicker than it used to and I honestly don't like the addition of the orange blossom. I reallly do not feel there is any way that it can last 6 months now. I feel the packaging may have something to do with it. You can NOT use a dropper with L-ascorbic! I would use a pump but was tired of having to pour it into something else and I don't know how stable that would keep it even since I am not sure if the pump was necessarily airless.

Anyway, I tried NuFountain L-ascorbic some years ago before NCN's but it irritated my skin. If I remember correctly too, it seemed to turn fairly quickly too.  I think it has one of the best ingredients deck  so was disappointed in irriation. But if memory serves me, they do offer a money back guarantee (or used to) so you really don't have anything to lose to try it.

I have tried others with MAP and SAP and just never really got the results I did with L-ascorbic.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I have not repurchased the NCN vitamin C either when I ran out.  I LOVED that product but I was finding that it was turning quicker than it used to and I honestly don't like the addition of the orange blossom. I reallly do not feel there is any way that it can last 6 months now. I feel the packaging may have something to do with it. You can NOT use a dropper with L-ascorbic! I would use a pump but was tired of having to pour it into something else and I don't know how stable that would keep it even since I am not sure if the pump was necessarily airless.

Anyway, I tried NuFountain L-ascorbic some years ago before NCN's but it irritated my skin. If I remember correctly too, it seemed to turn fairly quickly too.  I think it has one of the best ingredients deck  so was disappointed in irriation. But if memory serves me, they do offer a money back guarantee (or used to) so you really don't have anything to lose to try it.

I have tried others with MAP and SAP and just never really got the results I did with L-ascorbic.

Good luck!

If I try NuFountain, it would be their CelSignal Support, which is 15% MAP. I know that it might not be as effective as an L-ascorbic formula.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

I use Mad Hippie's Vitamin C serum and exfoliating serum

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Good luck!

If I try NuFountain, it would be their CelSignal Support, which is 15% MAP. I know that it might not be as effective as an L-ascorbic formula.

Well if you do try it, let us know what you think!

Honored Contributor

I've given up on vitamin C serums for this reason. I was throwing them away before I used them up and it felt wasteful.

Respected Contributor

Ditto, @suzyQ3. I haven't bought a Vit C serum in a while. I'm using a PC serum (Resist) that contains Vit C (obviously not as strong in concentration), and I just figure I'm getting enough that way? Who knows. I just have to be kind of careful, because in the past I have had some sensitivity (and major allergic reactions - I'm looking at you, 100% Pure!!). I used the Timeless one and liked it, but it didn't last more than a few months before turning. The good thing about that one is that it's not too expensive, so I didn't feel like I was wasting SO much money. My first Vit C serum was Isomers (MAP, I'm pretty sure - the old version. I haven't tried their newer version), and I was able to tolerate it well. But it's also one of those I would have to buy in a kit. I'm sure I'd never just buy a bottle at full price. Let us know what you decide! 

Honored Contributor

One big plus to MAP is that it's far more stable and also less likely to irritate the skin. The NuFountain is something like $30 (I'm including shipping), so not too pricey.

I did notice that NCN has raised the price on their Vit Serum. It's now $44 or $45.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3,

Yup, I gave up on the NCN Vit. C serum a while ago because it *never* stayed fresh for me for as long as they claimed it would.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my 15% L-ascorbic acid pre-mixed Vit. Serum from Skin Actives.  I do keep it in the refrigerator, though, since I live in a subtropical climate and it has never turned on me before I used up the bottle.  Plus, it's cheap.

If you want to try a MAP serum, I saw one on the ASDM Beverly Hills website called Lifting Contour Serum, in their luxury line.  The ingredient deck looks nice and I want to try it after I use up the Vit. C serum bottle I'm using.  It's $65 for 2 oz., not a horrible price especially if you wait for one of their sales.

Here's their product description and ingredient list (but doesn't list % of MAP in it, though):

What it is: This delectable sculpting serum seeps into cells for visible lifting & hydration. Matrikine peptide technology targets signs of photo-induced aging, reducing fragmentation of collagen fibers and notably supporting the reconstruction of this fiber network. Ultra-concentrated formula is packed with Vitamin C, Matrixyl 3000, Glycan Booster, Hyauronic Acid, Vitamin E, Honey Extract, & Aloe Vera. Refreshing & hydrating, this serum will naturally sculpt a more refined silhouette, lifting and firming skin at the dermal layer.

Ingredients: Distilled water, Vitamin C (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Matrixyl 3000, [Saccharide isomerate, water, citric acid, sodium citrate], Glycan Booster, Sodium Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate), Honey Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, [Grapefruit Seed Extract (Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Seed Extract, Glycerin], Lactobacillus Ferment