Honored Contributor

Re: Talc in products

[ Edited ]

@Harvard99 wrote:

There is so much misinformation.  

Cosmetic companies do no put asbestos in cosmetics on purpose, but right now there is NO federal regulation ( FDA or otherwise) on asbestos containing talc in cosmetics. For example, this is why last year Claire's recalled asbestos containing makeup they sold for children.

Concerned consumers are making some headway in getting the U.S. government to pass more stringent laws regarding hazardous materials in health and beauty products. Asbestos is only one of many such dangerous materials.  Europe is much stricter in this area. putting consumer protection before profits. 

But when it comes to pressed powders with talc, I'm not at all worried. The big concern was with powders that travel up the genital track.

I don't rely on the FDA or any other agency to monitor anything I consume, use or buy.  Frankly, I don't think anyone in this country is checking anything for us anymore.  Just saying.

@Harvard99, I basically agree. U.S law since the 1970s has required that talcum powder be free of asbestos, but oversight/ regulation is another issue.

I don't see us going to far forward in such regulations in the forseeable future. I'll say no more.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Most dictionaries define talcum powder as being talc that is finely powdered...so there are chemically the same thing.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Most dictionaries define talcum powder as being talc that is finely powdered...so there are chemically the same thing.

While true, @SilleeMee , the difference is important when worried about adverse effects. It's probably a good idea not to use talcum powder for the already-mentioned reason. But pressed talc in cosmetics does not require the same caution.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland