Esteemed Contributor

Re: Talc in products

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

Some people also believe that the fine particles can be inhaled

Has anyone ever wiped the inside of their nose with a q-tip?

Try it and you will see that  a huge load of powder  gets into your nose.........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Talc...(from an FDA/Cosmetics division publication on their website)

"Talc: What it is and how it is used in cosmetics

Talc is a naturally occurring mineral, mined from the earth, composed of magnesium, silicon, oxygen, and hydrogen. Chemically, talc is a hydrous magnesium silicate with a chemical formula of Mg3Si4O10(OH)2.

Talc has many uses in cosmetics and other personal care products; in food, such as rice and chewing gum; and in the manufacture of tablets. For example, it may be used to absorb moisture, to prevent caking, to make facial makeup opaque, or to improve the feel of a product.

Asbestos: What it is, why it’s a concern, and how to prevent its occurrence in cosmetics

Asbestos is also a naturally occurring silicate mineral, but with a different crystal structure. Both talc and asbestos are naturally occurring minerals that may be found in close proximity in the earth. Unlike talc, however, asbestos is a known carcinogen.

Published scientific literature going back to the 1960s has suggested a possible association between the use of powders containing talc and the incidence of ovarian cancer. However, these studies have not conclusively demonstrated such a link, or if such a link existed, what risk factors might be involved. Nevertheless, questions about the potential contamination of talc with asbestos have been raised since the 1970s.  

To prevent contamination of talc with asbestos, it is essential to select talc mining sites carefully and take steps to purify the ore sufficiently."

You can view the full version of this publication here:

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productsingredients/ingredients/ucm293184.htm

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Talc and talcum powder are not the same thing at all. Talcum powder was found to cause ovarian cancer because women used to put it on sanitary products. Has nothing to do with current makeup.

(Edited to add: Yes, talcum powder contains just talc and fragrance. But the format is fluffy powder that deliberately gets everywhere. And it used to be innocently misused by the general public with abandon. Not so anymore. And it is not the same as most talc containing makeup products. These products contain binders and other ingredients, and are tested and manufactured responsibly by reputable companies.)

Cheap powder makeup with talc in it can be dangerous to inhale because of impurities. Which is why it's best to stay away from those mysterious no-name brand 100 color eyeshadow pallettes at Christmas time.

But...if you use a good, reputable brand that follows industry best production practices, that brand will test their raw materials to ensure they don't contain poison.

However, some department in our current US government (not sure which one) is trying to increase the acceptable levels of asbestos for human exposure. So in the future we may want to avoid talc for our own health. Or US companies will need to highlight that their products don't contain asbestos -- according to European or Japanese etc standards, not just US ones.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Talcum powder is just finely ground talc.

Eta- Unfortunately the consumer has no way of knowing what they're using, and a higher price is no guarantee of a healthier product. 

As I said earlier, I became allergic to talc in makeup, so my body did me a favor I guess.

Honored Contributor

This is a natural talc rock mined from the earth and sometimes it contains asbestos:

220px-Talc_block.jpg

This is talc after it is made into a product called talcum powder...most people just call the powder talc:

download.jpg

Honored Contributor

I returned some Laura Geller items because they contained talc.  (Love her attitude and her presentations, but have not had good results with her products.)

Honored Contributor

There are pending lawsuits concerning talc in baby powder.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I have an allergy to talc, or so I thought/think.

When I returned a product to the Clinique counter many years ago, a sales associate who had worked for Clinique for years said “oh, you are allergic to talc!”

You are only the second person I’ve ever had return this type of product due to a rash.”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

So  much misinformation.

Asbestos was banned from use in cosmetic talc decades ago. Talc is not talcum, bit talcum powder has talc in it. And talcum is suspect only because it is most often used near female genitals so can possibly enter and cause cancer. This has not, though, despite winning lawsuits, been proved beyond a shadow of doubt. Still, the recommendation is to avoid talcum powder in the nether parts. Smiley Happy

There is no concern when it comes to talc in pressed form in cosmetics.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

There is so much misinformation.  

Cosmetic companies do no put asbestos in cosmetics on purpose, but right now there is NO federal regulation ( FDA or otherwise) on asbestos containing talc in cosmetics. For example, this is why last year Claire's recalled asbestos containing makeup they sold for children.

Concerned consumers are making some headway in getting the U.S. government to pass more stringent laws regarding hazardous materials in health and beauty products. Asbestos is only one of many such dangerous materials.  Europe is much stricter in this area. putting consumer protection before profits. 

I don't rely on the FDA or any other agency to monitor anything I consume, use or buy.  Frankly, I don't think anyone in this country is checking anything for us anymore.  Just saying.