Respected Contributor

I see that many items have talc in them wonder why so many people are opposed to having talc in powdery products.  Just wondered....

Esteemed Contributor

It settles in fine lines and wrinkles IIRC. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Some people also believe that the fine particles can be inhaled

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Talc makes my skin very dry and it makes me look old and wrinkled. 

Frequent Contributor

Copy/paste exerpt from Talc article:

Long-term exposure to talc can cause harmful and potentially life-threatening side effects. Concerns typically stem from the link between talc and different types of cancer – specifically, ovarian, endometrial and lung cancers. It is important that individuals talk with their doctor if they experience any adverse side effects from using a talc-based product.

Additionally, talc has been linked to various respiratory issues due to the powder becoming airborne and inhaled. Over time, breathing in talc can cause wheezing, coughing and other lung irritation. These symptoms may lead to pneumonia, asthma or talcosis, a progressive pulmonary disease that can trigger irreversible conditions, like lung fibrosis and respiratory failure.

Article link:

https://www.drugcenter.com/drugs/talcum-powder/

Honored Contributor

Talc is a naturally occuring mineral and inexpensive ingredient.  It irks me that some eyeshadows are so highly priced when they are using talc.  I personally don't mind it in eyeshadow from a safety aspect.  Sometimes mica is a replacement for talc in certain products.  I'm not crazy about that because it's frosty looking and I don't want that "Tin Man Glow" all over me.

Honored Contributor

And it itches.

Honored Contributor

@artisto wrote:

Copy/paste exerpt from Talc article:

Long-term exposure to talc can cause harmful and potentially life-threatening side effects. Concerns typically stem from the link between talc and different types of cancer – specifically, ovarian, endometrial and lung cancers. It is important that individuals talk with their doctor if they experience any adverse side effects from using a talc-based product.

Additionally, talc has been linked to various respiratory issues due to the powder becoming airborne and inhaled. Over time, breathing in talc can cause wheezing, coughing and other lung irritation. These symptoms may lead to pneumonia, asthma or talcosis, a progressive pulmonary disease that can trigger irreversible conditions, like lung fibrosis and respiratory failure.

Article link:

https://www.drugcenter.com/drugs/talcum-powder/

@artisto  Your article is referring to talcum powder, an end product that contains talc, rather than the base ingredient that is found in many products.  

Trusted Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

And it itches.

@geezerette  I sort of felt like that for a awhile until one day, I had a full blown allergy attack to my eyeshadow.  I had to wash that eye makeup off my face.  Since then, I can only wear talc free shadows, 

You might be allergic too.  With me, it came on slowly, over time.

Mica is not the substitute for talc in eyeshadow.  Mica is the ingredient that takes them from matte to pearly, glittery, frosted.

I don't use face powder or body powder with talc either.  Probably much healthier.

Trusted Contributor

To me, talc and talcum powder are interchangeable terms.  The problem is that cheap talc contains asbestos, a carcinogen, and so many powder cosmetics have talc that may be harmful, especially all those made in China.