Valued Contributor

Taking the plunge to dye my hair with Colorsilk Dark Ash Blonde

I posted before about my highlights and bad growth with dark roots and think it best to take a shot of doing it myself. My hair is med/dark brown which was a "dirty blonde" when younger. I get blonde highlights and like them ashy but over highlighted now and too gold with dark roots.

Revlong Colorsilk is supposed to be mutifaceted and will I get a highlighted look with this? Dark Ash blonde (60) looks like it may be the thing.

Does home color usually come out lighter or darker than box color and thoughts on Colorsilk in Dark Ash Blonde please.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Taking the plunge to dye my hair with Colorsilk Dark Ash Blonde

@Theresa1121   I can't answer your question about Colorsilk but I can say that for me any hair color I have used always comes out darker.  I typically chose a Light Ash Brown or the lightest brown made for the name brand and it comes out a med to dark brown. Some hair takes to color better than others.

Super Contributor

I have your color hair and I'm waiting for the answer. So far I have only used temporary color trying to hide grays. I'm chicken, worried about roots. 

Honored Contributor

Your highlights are already porous, and will "grab" color more than your untreated hair.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Your highlights are already porous, and will "grab" color more than your untreated hair.    

So I may be best to start with the "dark" ash blonde for better blending? 

I am chicken too but more chicken to pay my hairdresser $160 for a cut and lowlights on Saturday to try and blend in these dark roots.

I am 64 and have been fortunate that highlights have been camoflauging by gray but it is now my temples slightly andt they are popping out on the top through those dark roots and just awful so thinking time to color my entire head. Decision wouldn't be so hard had I not had this bad highlight done. I have another post on why do I continue to go to this stylist but she can cut my hard to deal with hair like nobody's business.  Maybe one more shot for her to color it to blend this mess and will get her take on coloring it myself to save money.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No experience with coloring grey hair, and have no plans now or in the future, the reason love my natural color. If this wasn't the case would spend the money for a professional colorist, especially when speaking of grey hair. Consider the cost to fix hair color gone wrong would be more money then original price of color. 

Honored Contributor

Sorry but coloring your hair at home is destined for disaster! Theres a good chance you are not going to like it then its going to cost you a bundle to get it fixed at a salon! Start out with a salon color and you'll be none the wiser.

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@Theresa1121 

Wish I had an answer for you, but wanted to share my recent experience in hair color.

I've been doing it at home with Colorsilk Med. Brown and getting salon color when I go for a cut.

Lately, it has gotten too dark and...the gray shows up quicker.

So, on my last salon visit, I had her lighten all over to a ligher chocolate brown.  I would not have gotten this color on my own.  She had to pull color from my all my hair and redo it.

From here on in, I might be able to do it myself, but not sure.

Any time you are going lighter or darker, I think it's best to get a few salon treatments first to see how it goes, especially if covering gray is involved.

Just my opinion.

Respected Contributor

On me, color turns out darker.Light ash brown results in what I consider to be medium brown.

Respected Contributor

@Theresa1121    Do a test strand to see how it turns out.  Don't cut off a strand as they suggest.  Pin up your hair and single out a strand for testing like behind the ear or nape of neck.