Honored Contributor

Re: Taking the plunge to dye my hair with Colorsilk Dark Ash Blonde

Guessing at shades and hoping for the best is too risky.  A professional stylist knows how to mix shades and levels of color to get the right blend and dimension, something box color can’t offer.  You also don’t know if the box color is to harsh for your hair or scalp.  What your hair already has on it will impact the end result after you apply you at-home box product.  You’re much better off getting your hair done by someone who knows what they are doing.  Suppose you mess things up at home (it happens a lot), you’ll need a pro to correct it.  And once you have messed it up, you better be honest with the salon stylist about what you did so they know how to correct it to get your desired outcome.  Sometimes that can take more than one corrective service to get it right.  

Respected Contributor

@Theresa1121   I've been using Colorsilk exclusively for more years than I can remember.  I'm a natural light brown with a few grays now.  I use the #95, which is an extra light natural blonde.  I easily lightens my roots in 20-25 minutes.  I comb it through my long hair for the last 5 minutes only, so as to not damage my hair.  If your hair has been colored many times already, then it's going to be porous and will "grab" more color than untreated hair, so the color may come out darker than expected.  Also, be careful with ash tones, as they can give your hair a strange color sometimes (it's the drabber in them).  I can't use an ash tone on my hair because it will turn it greenish or bluish!  I do my own hair every 4 weeks, and I'll be doing mine again this weekend!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

As others have posted, your hi-lited hair is extremely porous and adding an ash-based tint  will grab and may give a muddy tone.  You cannot make your dark hair ash blonde and cannot make highlights pop - they'll just get darker and muddy. You cannot lift color with color.   consider salon application of toner.    (in the past i have done this sort of thing with ash blonde box color over brassy gold colored hair. came out muddy and flat)

Honored Contributor

@Theresa1121 wrote:

I posted before about my highlights and bad growth with dark roots and think it best to take a shot of doing it myself. My hair is med/dark brown which was a "dirty blonde" when younger. I get blonde highlights and like them ashy but over highlighted now and too gold with dark roots.

Revlong Colorsilk is supposed to be mutifaceted and will I get a highlighted look with this? Dark Ash blonde (60) looks like it may be the thing.

Does home color usually come out lighter or darker than box color and thoughts on Colorsilk in Dark Ash Blonde please.

@Theresa1121 

You can solve the "too gold" issue by using some purple shampoo ... there are a couplethat I use - Clairol Shimmer Lights for blonds and gray, and Jhirmack.  Walmart and Target carry them.  

Just being outside in daylight can mess up the blonde shades.  The purple shampoos fix the issue.

Honored Contributor

I used Schwarzkopf keratin hair color in caramel blonde last time & used their Ultime color in dark blonde. I had better luck with color lasting longer using the Keratin color formula.

Box color is always darker IMO. I have light brown hair but generally use dark blonde. Some say my hair is blonde but it's light brown IMO. Even the lightest brown shade is too dark for me. 

You should be good with the Ash color. It won't leave your hair with brassy tones.

I just did mine about a month ago. Still no grays coming out. I had not put any color on my hair in almost a year. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Theresa1121   I can't answer your question about Colorsilk but I can say that for me any hair color I have used always comes out darker.  I typically chose a Light Ash Brown or the lightest brown made for the name brand and it comes out a med to dark brown. Some hair takes to color better than others.

This is what I think will most likely happen but I wasn’t sure. It may not come out as light as you want. 

Honored Contributor

Cant comment on your choice of shade, but I can say that I swear by Colorsilk, been using it for the last 22 years, I use dark auburn. 

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your input and advice. I think it best not to do it myself, at least not now while it looks like this with the dark grown out roots and highlights. Going to the salon on Saturday and will see how she does with it. I love how she cuts my hair as not many can handle it but never really like the color.

Thanks again! 

Valued Contributor

OP, I can tell you from experience that box color regardless of how light you think it is on the front of the box will ALWAYS turn our darker on your hair than you expect.  Always.  So go for the lightest shade you can muster in your desired shade range.

Respected Contributor

I have or had mousy light brown hair with a silver glint, unless I go in the sun. Then it picks up gold and reddish, or did with  my natural, pre-grey hair. But I wanted ashy tones when I colored. I used Colorsilk because it was the least expensive color from a major brand, and I used either a light ash brown or dark ash blonde shade or their equivalent. I went lighter because the color seemed to darken beyond what looked right on me.

But the color might come out okay, but would soon turn into what I came to call "welfare hair," just because in the area I live in, women without much money have those brassy heads of DIY hair, and that's why: cheap color. 

I got better at choosing shades by looking at all the shades offered in a particular line. If there were few shades with ash tones, they probably weren't good at making those colors, or the ash tones didn't hold. I wound up using L'Oreal mainly, and found the ash tones held better. 

All that said, I'd suggest you give Colorsilk a try, because if it works for you, you'll save a ton of $$$ on your color.