Honored Contributor

Spring Cleaning - Beauty Edition

[ Edited ]

Yep!  I've actually accepted the fact that I need to throw out old make-up I don't use.  Why let it sit there gathering dust when it hasn't been used for months, even years?

Today I tossed an Urban Decay eyeshadow pallet that at one time I thought I couldn't live without...LOL!  It has to be the messiest eyeshadow pallet I've ever owned and the colors are too bold, even with a light touch.  Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it, but I find myself going for the softer more natural look these days.  I'm sure it's because I work from home so I really don't need to go ALL OUT with my eye make-up.  I have found that the Tarte pallet and my IT pallets are the ones I used mostly.

I'm thinking of hitting it again later today after I get home from running errands.  I may throw out a really old IT pallet, but I need to coax myself into it first.

What about y'all?  Who is spring cleaning - beauty edition?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

Re: Spring Cleaning - Beauty Edition

[ Edited ]

I have several mascara's I am tossing right now in honor of your topic!  I tried them last week and all 3 were just as bad as I remembered and I thought why do I keep them LOL!  OUT right now in the trash can Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife 

Congratulations!

I finished the second wave 🌊 of a MAJOR make-up purge last week.

This is what I did, I tossed everything I was sure about.  Then I put all the things I was not sure of in a box planning to to toss everything I didn't pull out of it within 6 months, wrote the toss out date on the box in large letters.

Guess wahat?  I did not miss a single thing in the box, and out it went + a few more things.  A whole new look, and much more space in and on my vanity.

As a reward I purchased a set of nice Japanese brushes, and an antique vase 🏺 to hold them all.  WOW, they all match.

Good wishes to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

This is what I did, I tossed everything I was sure about.  Then I put all the things I was not sure of in a box planning to to toss everything I didn't pull out of it within 6 months, wrote the toss out date on the box in large letters.

@Drythe - what a great idea!  I have a box that I put makeup in that is to be donated and I let the items sit in the box for a while and if I don't take them out after a few weeks, I mail it off. Sometimes I do go back and take something out.  Think I'll try your method for things that can't be donated.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife  - I posted my clean-up under the post of "Beauty Clean-Up on Aisle 5!" so won't repeat.  Feels good though to go through things, toss and reorganize!

Honored Contributor

@JudyL 

Thanks, I gave myself a reward too. See above.  Always had brushes from here and there.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@JudyL 

Thanks, I gave myself a reward too. See above.  Always had brushes from here and there.  

@Drythe - don't know how I missed that you treated yourself to the brushes and vase.  Nice!

Honored Contributor

@JudyL 

I apologize!  I didn't know there was already a similar thread.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@JudyL 

I apologize!  I didn't know there was already a similar thread.

@SurferWife - oh heavens!  Don't apologize.  No need to.  Your post is fine.  I just didn't want to repeat myself in your post because I'd already written one.  So glad you had a "Spring cleaning."  Its always fun to read how and what people are doing with their makeup.  

Honored Contributor

I need to do this as I haven't done it in a long time.  

Here is a dumb question and many will say --- well, if you haven't used it in a while, you proabably don't care about it or want it, so just chuck it, but here is my question:

If a makeup item is sealed up in the plastic and still in the original wrappings from the store you purchased it from, how long can you keep it ---- also ---- say for instance if I purchase a foundation or blush from a drugstore, is there a code that means the date that it expires on?  

Why don't makeup items clearly show an expiration date?  Or maybe they do and I just don't see it!  I guess this is more than one question!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin