Honored Contributor

I never use to have a problem with shaving, but now when I shave under  my arms I get some ingrown hairs and it hurts. I have always just shaved with a Bic  razor.  Is there something else that is going to prevent the ingrown hairs and be more gentle?  I worry that the Nair type hair removal products will be too hash and irritating.  That might be worse.  I only have to shave maybe once a month anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know if an epilator would solve that problem with ingrown hairs ot not.

Honored Contributor

Epilating the armpits does cause some discomfort but it's not unbearable.  I'm in the process of using a MeChic Permanent Hair Reduction Device.  Keeping my fingers crossed for good results by the end of August. 

Respected Contributor

I do not know if it is true but I was always told to use a separate razor for shaving under arms do to the residue on the skin from deo. dulling the blades faster.  The dull blades can cause irritation and in-grown hairs.

Honored Contributor

Get an electric razor.  I have the Panosonic electric razor for women for my peach fuzz on my face.  It is gentle and there are no batteries rather you charge it from time to time.  Believe it or not, I no longer have hair under my arms nor on my legs.  It stopped growing when I was around 60, if I remember correctly.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Get an electric razor.  I have the Panosonic electric razor for women for my peach fuzz on my face.  It is gentle and there are no batteries rather you charge it from time to time.  Believe it or not, I no longer have hair under my arms nor on my legs.  It stopped growing when I was around 60, if I remember correctly.  Cat HappyHeart

@Katcat1Good adviceWoman Very Happy I no longer have hair under my arms but mine climbed up to my chinWoman Surprised

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Lucky you.

Trusted Contributor

Make sure your razor isn't starting to get dull, maybe change more often.  You can find many electric razors now that do a great job.  You don't have to spend too much to get one that works well.

Respected Contributor

@SisterGoldenHair wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Katcat1Good adviceWoman Very Happy I no longer have hair under my arms but mine climbed up to my chinWoman Surprised

@SisterGoldenHair wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@SisterGoldenHair I know what you mean. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaidenBefore you shave, use a hot washcloth to warm the area. Make sure you shave in the direction of the hair. If you don't, that can cause ingrown hairs.