Respected Contributor

Shampoo/Conditioner for curly hair

It figures that I just bought large bottles of Deva Curl shampoo and conditioner after trying sample sizes.  I really like them but I have been hearing that some people are having scalp issues and hair loss.  I plan to continue to use what I have but I am reluctant to purchase any more after what I have is gone.  Any recommendations for replacements?  I am also using their Ultra Defining Gel.  I have fine hair that loosely curls.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shampoo/Conditioner for curly hair

[ Edited ]

@ninjawife wrote:

It figures that I just bought large bottles of Deva Curl shampoo and conditioner after trying sample sizes.  I really like them but I have been hearing that some people are having scalp issues and hair loss.  I plan to continue to use what I have but I am reluctant to purchase any more after what I have is gone.  Any recommendations for replacements?  I am also using their Ultra Defining Gel.  I have fine hair that loosely curls.

@ninjawife   My issue w/ DevaCurl products was the drugstore had the shampoo/conditioner/styling products that were sulfate free, silicone free, etc. for 1/3 the cost. The hair loss and itchy scalp issues is why I gave up the Curly Girl Method. I need to wash my hair more often and keep my scalp clean w/ a clarifying shampoo every other week. My hair is fine, but lots of it with 3A wavy/curls, if that helps. Recommendations: all Shea Moisture products, Tressame, Pantene, L'Oreal and Herbal Essence have silicone free/no sulfate lines. 

Respected Contributor

It is best to use a water soluble line of shampoos and conditioners. Shea Moisture and most drug store lines are curly girl friendly but also notorious for causing build up.  You will have to clarify more often.

JessiCurl, MopTop, Raw Curls and the Giovanni Tea Tree lines are water soluble and much better for your hair.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

It is best to use a water soluble line of shampoos and conditioners. Shea Moisture and most drug store lines are curly girl friendly but also notorious for causing build up.  You will have to clarify more often.

JessiCurl, MopTop, Raw Curls and the Giovanni Tea Tree lines are water soluble and much better for your hair.

@Ms tyrion2   I have not had an issue w/ build up unless the products had silicone and other not approved curly girl products. I started purchasing products on the black hair aisle before that curly girl thing ever started. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I use Ion for curly hair.  I really like it.  You can get it at Sally's and Amazon.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been using DevaCurl for about a year with no problems. But a lot of women are claiming they are losing their hair due to ehe products. Much like the Wen lawsuit this will happen with DevaCurl. I love the products. I have however been only using my holy grail, the curl defining cream.  I also use the gel. The lo poo and conditioner were not anything that great and they are a little expensive. Salon Selectives I was buying at the Dollar Tree almost caused me to go bald about a year ago. Ironically that's when i started using DevaCurl. I used Peter Lamas hair products to get my hair back. Since then I have used Deva Curl. The products are heavy though. I always wash my hair with another  shampoo and conditioner with minimal products once a week. I think a lot of products can coat your scalp and clog your hair follicles. I will still purchase the curl defining cream but probably not the lo poo and conditioner. I had decided this prior to all the brouhaha claiming hair loss. Also everyone has a different reaction to products and there are many reason for hair loss. I would stick with DevaCurl if you like it but check to see how much hair if any is in the drain. It's hard to find products that really work with curly hair. There are many though and I've tried most of them. I only wash my hair twice a week so I like a product that I can dampen my hair in the morning and scrunch my curls back in shape. DevaCurl does that for me. Good luck.   

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ninjawife wrote:

@ninjawife   My issue w/ DevaCurl products was the drugstore had the shampoo/conditioner/styling products that were sulfate free, silicone free, etc. for 1/3 the cost. The hair loss and itchy scalp issues is why I gave up the Curly Girl Method. I need to wash my hair more often and keep my scalp clean w/ a clarifying shampoo every other week. My hair is fine, but lots of it with 3A wavy/curls, if that helps. Recommendations: all Shea Moisture products, Tressame, Pantene, L'Oreal and Herbal Essence have silicone free/no sulfate lines. 

What kind of Shea Moisture Shampoo do you use?  I have tried that line before but it was tooheavy for my hair.   Have you tried  100% VIRGIN COCONUT OIL DAILY HYDRATION ?

Esteemed Contributor

I have had naturally curly thick hair my entire life and have tried almost everything in my fifty something years.  I have been using WEN now for probably eight years, with the styling cream and mousse and have to say my hair is the best it's ever been.  Needless to say I had breast cancer 5 years ago and lost all of that beautiful hair due to chemo but I am fortunate that it came back quite similar to what is was.  I even used WEN on my bald head as it was very sensitive at the time.  I know the claims regarding hair loss against WEN but I truly feel as someone else stated, hair loss happens for many reasons and I think botanical allergies is a big part of it.   I'm happy with the results I've had.

Valued Contributor

I've used DevaCurl products for my curly hair and had no issues. I just didn't think that they offered anything that special for the price and found more affordable alternatives. 

Honored Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

I've used DevaCurl products for my curly hair and had no issues. I just didn't think that they offered anything that special for the price and found more affordable alternatives. 

@LilLadyNJ   I forgot to add in my other post, besides the high prices, there was a push to use the line or at least several products to achieve any results. It also is very highly fragranced, IMO.