Honored Contributor
On 5/8/2014 Save the Whales said: Retin-A does not play well with other skin care products. It is better to use it alone you will get better results. A little moisturizer on top is ok if you find your skin is dry. I use the cream Retin-A and I don't need a moisturizer with it. (Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Gycolic Acids should not be used with Retin-A.) these take away from the effectiveness of Retin-A.

ITA

If I'm dry, I put Argan or Tarte Maracuja oil over. I try to use alone though.

I don't use scrubs before I put it on either. Wait 20 to 30 minutes after washing face to put on.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

Did anyone have more breakouts when they first started using Retin-A?

Valued Contributor
You should wait 30 min after washing your face before applying a small pea sized amt of retin a cream. I am using the version that's half the strength of yours, and I'm still easing into it after 3 weeks. Was using PTR retinol pm every night, right after washing with no problem, couldn't even use my retin a e/o night without flaking. Doing 1x a week now for a month, then I'll do 2x weekly for a month, then every 3 days for a month, then ever 2 days for a month, unless I start flaking again. Good luck!
Honored Contributor
On 5/8/2014 vaccinia said:

Some do. I've read that.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

I go to one of the best dermatologists in my city and he has me using the Retin A during the day because I use Benzoyl Peroxide at night. He says that there is no evidence behind using it during the day or night. I'm using 1.0% and he's bumping me up to the next level at my next visit. I do agree about the amount used daily and waiting 30 min after applying before putting makeup on. I don't wear foundation or powder but do wear blush and wait the 30 min. Right now I'm recovering from a major chemical peel and I'm peeling like crazy so I'm laying off the Retin- A until the peeling stops.

Super Contributor
On 5/8/2014 Lanikins said:

Just curious, how did you get a prescription -- yet no guidance as to how to use it?

I bought it online from a woman I trust. She is the one who sells me my benoquin. I let her deal with the other countries for the products. She said pea size but I thought I had better check with you ladies because I trust your knowledge.

Super Contributor
On 5/8/2014 Katluvr58 said:
On 5/8/2014 Lanikins said:

Just curious, how did you get a prescription -- yet no guidance as to how to use it?

I bought it online from a woman I trust. She is the one who sells me my benoquin. I let her deal with the other countries for the products. She said pea size but I thought I had better check with you ladies because I trust your knowledge.

As long as you stay out of the sun, I don't think it would make any difference.

Super Contributor

Weirdest thing, I have a dry red patch near my mouth and I never put any retin there. All I can guess is that I touched my face and then touched that spot.

Trusted Contributor
On 5/8/2014 winamac1 said:
On 5/8/2014 vaccinia said:

Some do. I've read that.

Thanks! I've had two major ones come out since restarting Retin-A about 5 weeks ago, and it looks like a third is in the works. Trying to be patient and give myself time to see benefits!

Super Contributor

I take it that flaking is normal. I woke up this morning with flaky skin. I put some JM Balm on it since that does not make it burn. What do others do for the flaking?