Trusted Contributor
On 5/9/2014 Katluvr58 said:

I take it that flaking is normal. I woke up this morning with flaky skin. I put some JM Balm on it since that does not make it burn. What do others do for the flaking?

Flaking is normal, but give your skin a break for a few days, allow the flaking/dryness to subside before using Retin A again. I've used tretinoin (generic Retin A) for the past two years. I've experienced flaking when increasing from one strength to the next. I simply use a warm, wet washcloth to scrub the flakes away; followed by plenty of sunscreen. That's always worked for me. The other posters have given you great advice, start off by using once every third night for 2-3 weeks, then use every other night for 2-3 weeks. At that point, you can decide if you'd like to try to use it every night. The most important thing is to allow any dryness and/or flakiness to go away before using again. Well, that and plenty of sunscreen! :-)
Honored Contributor
On 5/9/2014 Katluvr58 said:

I take it that flaking is normal. I woke up this morning with flaky skin. I put some JM Balm on it since that does not make it burn. What do others do for the flaking?

That flaking is normal. It would be a lot worse if you started off like gangbusters and use the RetinA every night from Day One. Don't forget your moisturizer at night. If it gets worse, back off a couple of days and then resume use. Otherwise, if it's not too bad, continue on your break-in schedule and use the moisturizer as your skin acclimates to it.

Respected Contributor

I have used retin-a for many years, but am slacking off lately. I had started using it with my night cream so it goes on easier. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference in my skin. I've never experienced redness or peeling, even tho my skin is considered sensitive. I plan to have a thorough discussion with my derm at this year's appt. I would like to know what to expect. She told me my skin looked good, but thought I might want to kick it up a notch. I don't see any difference. Plus, I'm not sure why some of you are making your purchase from another country. This product lasts what seems like forever, and I don't consider it expensive. I don't pay anywhere near that $100 some of you are saying, and that's with no insurance. I pay much more for some of my other skincare products.

Super Contributor

After washing my face I am now into major flaking and some red spots. I even washed with cocoanut oil instead of a cleanser. No burning with argan or cocoanut oil, lots of burning with everything else. I did put on JM's SPF and no burning. My daughter says I look awful, lovely, can't wait for the red/flakiness to go away. Anyone know if cortisone cream helps???!!!

Super Contributor

do not put cortisone cream on it. when i peel, i use a night of josie maran. next day better. if not better, try another night of something emollient. don't rush the process.

Super Contributor

I have just been officially scared away from ever using retin a....................or having a major chemical peel.

Honored Contributor
what effect if any does Retin A have on your Vitiligo? I would be concerned about that
Trusted Contributor
I have been using Retin A for about 8 month. I have extremely sensitive skin and experienced no burning or breakouts whatsoever. I attribute that to the fact that I very gradually eased into using it. Now I used it almost every night. I have experienced great results. Use it at night, one hour after washing my face with my Clarisonic, and about an hour later I apply an over the counter moisturizer, Cerave, which was also recommended by my Derm. I use Vitamin C E Serum in the morning, wait 5 minutes then apply eye creams & cosmetics. The Vitamin CE Serum also plays a major part. This was all recommended by my Derm and working great.
Super Contributor

I have light/medium skin tone, sensitive skim and 54 years old. I have been using it for 2 years. Not a lot of people do this but in the winter I use the .025% because of extreme peeling, maybe once a week. Then I jump to .05% in summer but only 2 times per week. I mix with moisturizer. If I didn't do it this week, I would not be able to use it.

Trusted Contributor

I wish I was having a smooth integration of Retin-A into my routine. I've been introducing it gradually (every third night), but after 4 weeks, I'm still breaking out and flaking. CeraVe moisturizer helps the flaking a lot, but these darn breakouts make we want to give up. I don't know what it could be other than the Retin-A since I haven't been using any other new products.

When does the clear, radiant skin show up?

{#emotions_dlg.sad}