Super Contributor

Hi ladies, I just got a tube of .05% Retin A and I am not sure how to use it. I have vitiligo with pigment spots that I am currently bleaching but I thought the Retin A will help with the cell turnover. I also have a few forehead lines, marionette lines on my left side only. I know the retin can be irritating so I am trying to find out if I use it daily, twice a day, only on spots or all over. So far I have used it on a zit on my cheek and it dried that up. TIA.

Honored Contributor

Use it at ONLY at night. It makes your skin very sensitive to sunlight so don't use it in the daytime, and ALWAYS use a sunscreen. Ease into it, as it can be very drying. Start out by using every three nights. After a 2-3 weeks go to every two nights. After another couple of weeks you can go to nightly, if that's what you want to do. Many users find a few nights a week to be sufficient while others like using it every night. You just have to figure out your own system. Only take a pea size amount and that should be enough for your entire face. First concentrate on the key spots and then whatever is left can go on the rest. I prefer applying my moisturizer after the RetinA, but some people will do the moisturizer first if they RetinA is to harsh for them, especially at the beginning.

Regular Contributor

Hi--I agree with poster jeanlouise--my dermatologist said pea size amount at night along with my moisturizer is sufficient. I started slowly using every other night or so. Now I use nightly. Make sure you use a sunscreen during the day. At first I was not too happy with it because I was overdoing it. Use a little & don't use it every day. Gradually build up to it. I am very happy with my results. Good luck!

Super Contributor

Thank you. My skin is super sensitive to sunlight so I use sunscreen even if I don't go out.

Super Contributor

On the nights that you use Retin-A, do you also use serums or anything other than a moisturizer? Or, do you just put the Retin-a on bare skin and follow with moisturizer?

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/8/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:

On the nights that you use Retin-A, do you also use serums or anything other than a moisturizer? Or, do you just put the Retin-a on bare skin and follow with moisturizer?

In my experience it's about experimenting to find what your skin can tolerate. For me, I cannot use a serum on top of Retin A without my skin revolting by turning red and rough. It's just too many active ingredients, so I stick to Retin A and moisturizer four nights a week and the other nights serums and moisturizer. I use a serum every morning so getting plenty of active ingredients!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

On the nights I use my Retin A, I first cleanse my face with my oil cleanser, mist on my toner, apply the Retin A after the toner dries, follow up with my moisturizer, and then do my eye stuff. No serums for me at night. The only one I use is Vitamin C that gets applied in the daytime. On the nights I don't use my Retin A, I follow the same routine, but replace the RetinA with an AHA treatment.

Super Contributor
On 5/8/2014 gardensla said:
On 5/8/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:

In my experience it's about experimenting to find what your skin can tolerate. For me, I cannot use a serum on top of Retin A without my skin revolting by turning red and rough. It's just too many active ingredients, so I stick to Retin A and moisturizer four nights a week and the other nights serums and moisturizer. I use a serum every morning so getting plenty of active ingredients!

Thanks, I was concerned about too many actives on my face at once. I'm just such a serum addict!

Respected Contributor
Retin-A does not play well with other skin care products. It is better to use it alone you will get better results. A little moisturizer on top is ok if you find your skin is dry. I use the cream Retin-A and I don't need a moisturizer with it. (Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Gycolic Acids should not be used with Retin-A.) these take away from the effectiveness of Retin-A. I get mine from Mexico, $5.00 a tube. Exactly the same product that cost me $100.00 with a prescription.
Valued Contributor

Just curious, how did you get a prescription -- yet no guidance as to how to use it?