Regular Contributor

Re: ?Recommendations for an Electronic "Nail Drill?"

@MakeUpMaidn  The chance of me finishing a bottle of polish is non-existant. Besides, in addition to collecting, part of the fun for me is constantly changing the color, finish, etc, of what's on my nails. I decided long ago that buying any backups was a waste of money for me. The only reason I might need to replace a bottle is if I broke it (and also really liked it). That's going to happen with a random bottle, not one I've preselected and bought a backup of.

Because of changing polish so frequently (for years it was every day or two), I haven't really paid much attention to what top/base coats work best with my body chemistry. Could be the top coat or bottom coat causing a problem. But it could be the polish or the interaction of one or both with the specific polish. Just move on to the next look...

One big advantage to changing polishes so often is that I can work with most formulas and/or brushes. If I find one that is really a pain to use...well I likely won't be wearing it again anyway (at least not for years). 

I think I only have a couple of specialty top/base coats from other countries. A water base coat for use under the early holos. A top coat to re-activate magnetic that are already dry and a couple of top coats for "hungry" glitters (now these are readily available from several US makers).

I just pull from a random variety of bottles considering what may be needed for the polish I plan to use.

Note that I'm only talking regular polish here. Regular polish dries through evaporation. Gel polish (and acrylic) depends on chemical reaction, so I'm much more causious with those.

Respected Contributor

@juperier3 wrote:

@MakeUpMaidn  The chance of me finishing a bottle of polish is non-existant. Besides, in addition to collecting, part of the fun for me is constantly changing the color, finish, etc, of what's on my nails. I decided long ago that buying any backups was a waste of money for me. The only reason I might need to replace a bottle is if I broke it (and also really liked it). That's going to happen with a random bottle, not one I've preselected and bought a backup of.

<  snip  >

One big advantage to changing polishes so often is that I can work with most formulas and/or brushes. If I find one that is really a pain to use...well I likely won't be wearing it again anyway (at least not for years). 

I think I only have a couple of specialty top/base coats from other countries. A water base coat for use under the early holos. A top coat to re-activate magnetic that are already dry and a couple of top coats for "hungry" glitters (now these are readily available from several US makers).

<  snip  >

~~~~~~~~~

@juperier3  

I know you're busy.

ONLY, when you have a chance, can you explain the terms (above) that are in RED? 

"under the early holos"  and  "hungry glitters?"  

THANKS @juperier3 !!

Regular Contributor

@MakeUpMaidnThe early linear holographics (the ones with fine holograpgic pigment that formed a rainbow in the right lighting, especially sunlight) were often dulled by top coat. As I recall, using a water-based base coat as a top coat minimized or prevented this. A regular top coat could then be applied with no dulling..

Hungry glitters are the glitters that just seem to suck in top coat without getting a smooth surface. The special topcoats level things out quickly. Then you add a final layer of quick dry top coat.