Esteemed Contributor

Every couple of years I tend to have my hair permed to change things up.I have short thick hair.The perm makes my hair look flirty & more bouncy.I love it & usually get many compliments.

Esteemed Contributor

The last two hairdressers i have had over the last 15 yrs or so....at 3 locations ...i was told they do not perform permanents anymore.....because i had asked and had considered one....

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic I have a body wave and love it.  My hair is cut in lengths and I use a quarter size of gel before I dry it while leaning over while sitting down.  I curl it with a curling iron and break it up with my hands for about two days, then I pull it back to keep cooler as we become more hectic at work.

I go to an Aveda salon.  You just need someone who has worked on a larger type of client.

Honored Contributor

My 84 year old aunt has a thick head of gray hair and gets a perm at least 4 times a year. If she doesn't perm she says she can't do anything with her hair. My niece who is a hairdresser gives the perms and does her hair once a week, her hair does look lovely and she gets compliments wherever she goes.

Respected Contributor

Can I say I got my first perm as a teenager and have not stopped yet!

I  get perms 2-3 times a year because I have very long, thick straight hair.

The perm gives my hair body and makes it wash and wear.

Oh, how I lke those sexy curls!!

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for commenting!  Those who said it's important to go to a stylist who is proficient in doing perms are definitely right.   Young stylists whose clientele is mostly younger women probably did perms when they were in training, but none since then.  

To those of you who get perms, thank you for your input.  I don't think getting one's hair permed means you must be old;  it just seems that those who have their hair permed are mostly older ladies.    I think it's because it's easier for these ladies to style their hair between appointments.   Those younger women who want the curly or wavy look know getting straight hair to curl is time consuming, and,  if using a curling iron or heated rollers is damaging.

I guess I'll just go natural and embrace my stick straight hair.  If I want curls, I'll buy a curly wig!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Well, thanks to all the people here and hair stylist who just labeled me old lady.  Yeah, I'm 60, but I have been getting a perm once or twice a year for years.  I naturally have fine hair with just a little wave in it.  My hairdresser knows to use large rods and to leave the solution on the minimum amount of time.  @CinNC, I don't know what your stylist is telling you.  There are perms specifically for fine hair.  I remember my stylist at one time used one called Frog Fur which was meant for hair as fine as frog's fur.  I'm not sure if that is what she uses on me now, kinda doubt it, but she also uses the largest rods she has which are a mixture of peach and orange.  There are probably even larger rods for looser looks, but my hair really takes it and it lasts until it gets cut out.  Here's mine day of, they usually loosen up a bit after a few weeks.

2019 Curls.jpg

@Icegoddess, your hair is beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

I use to get perms all the time. The last time I got one, though, she left the solution on too long and fried my hair. That pretty much did it for me. If I could find a great stylist who I knew was proficient I would consider it again, but I don't think thats liable to happen. It was great when I got a good one though. I loved the look.

Honored Contributor

@happycat, thank you so much.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess, you're very welcome. And I don't think 60 is old, but you don't look 60 at all.