Respected Contributor

I was a child when most women, those who weren't blessed with curly or wavy hair, had perms.  There were even home perm kits for children which were done on me.  Can we say child abuse?

Now, I've let my hair grow to a shoulder length in back, a bit shorter on the sides.  I had a short layered style before letting it grow.   It took about a year to get it to the current length.  

My hair is stick straight and baby fine and I'm wondering if perms are done now.  I think a good body wave would be what I need, but don't want it done by a hair stylist who doesn't have experience doing perms.   I see older ladies who appear to have perms, short very curly, one style for everyone.  I do not want that! 

I asked my hair stylist, he said he rarely does perms and they are always done on elderly ladies.  

Has anyone had a perm recently or know someone who has?  

Thanks! 

Trusted Contributor

My sister is a stylist and will do them occasionally on her older clients.  Maybe try a body perm?  I haven't had one in years and years.  I know what you mean about "child abuse"  that Toni home stuff was awful.  Still remember my mom doing these on me and being embarrassed to go to school.

Respected Contributor

@Phantom41 

They truly were awful, weren't they?  I asked my stylist if they still smelled horrible; sadly, they do.  Yuck! 

Honored Contributor

I have been at my current salon long enough to get my hair done 4 times and I go every 6-7 weeks.  I have never been there when anyone is getting a perm.

At my prior salon, which was much bigger, I saw elderly women getting perms. 

Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic 

My current stylist recently suggested a perm...this, after having done one on me before that was disasterous.  Maybe she FORGOT!  I'm trying not to strangle her for it, because she hasn't faltered otherwise.

She tells me that she has bigger "rods" now.  Yea, sure.  I would need a rod the size of a tire to keep my NATURALLY CURLY hair from turning into a big ball of cotton candy.

I've been having my hair "smoothed" for years, and decided to let my curls come back.  It's a long story, but it was in THAT environment that she suggested the perm.

I've had them.  They didn't work on me.....ever.  Some woman swear by them.

I'll never, ever, never, never EVER have another perm!

Honored Contributor

The salon I go to now does a lot of perms.   Clientel is mainly older women. I just have my hair cut - but the majority of her business seems to be perms and color.  (I do my own color.)   And .... she's quite busy.  

There are two salons in the neighborhood that cater to an older crowd - but very busy and both really good salons ... and prices are reasonable for NYC.

Honored Contributor

That is a blast from the past.  A time or two an elderly woman has come into the shop while I was there and asked for a perm.  Younger hairdressers don't know how to do them.  There's one older hairdresser in the show and she's only one who does perms.  Instead of telling a hairdresser what you want, why don't you go for a consult and explain what you are looking for, take a picture, and get her advice about how to achieve the look.  Don't get stuck in the past.  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic  I have been getting large rod perms for 30 years now.  I get 3 or 4 a year and not only do they curl but add fullness.  My hair length is similar to yours and I get a soft curl with fullness.  All I have to do is put 2 rollers in the front while I do my makeup and spend a couple of minutes to scrunch and fluff it out and part above the bangs and done.  I don't know where you live but they are very common and not just for the curly short old lady styles.  The salon where I go does a lot of perms like this for all ages.  The smell is not as strong as perms were at one time.  There also are many brands and types of solutions and once your stylist finds the right fit for you it's great.  

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't do a perm on stick straight baby fine hair.  Try to embrace your hair the way it is.  

Esteemed Contributor

After reading these postings - only older women get perms...........I'll confess I get 4 a year.  However, we're not talking tiny curls with blue hair here.  Funny that some OP just posted a picture of Princess Di (and I laughed) because her style in pic is my style.  My hair is fine and no natural curl whatsoever.........the larger the roller - the larger the curl is absolutely accurate. I get a perm and then a blond hi-lightening full head.  Comb and go.  It's fab