Esteemed Contributor

I have baby fine, straight, pure white hair and I do perms 2-3 times a year.

You won't believe how many compliments I get on my "naturally curly" hair.

Wash, dry, run your fingers thru it, Done!

You can't use small rods or cheap perms!!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

I had one done at an Aveda salon last year. I went in w/photos of really curly styles and stylist did it on small rods so it was more of a wave.  Well, the next time I went in, she said it didn't take and I could come back to have a new perm. I was pretty annoyed - she is young, talented, but only did my hair the way she wanted to do it and this was the last time for her. 

My current stylist - older guy - said my hair is too fine to take a perm unless I get something really curly. I went back to a shoulder length bob. 

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I have baby fine, straight, pure white hair and I do perms 2-3 times a year.

You won't believe how many compliments I get on my "naturally curly" hair.

Wash, dry, run your fingers thru it, Done!

You can't use small rods or cheap perms!!!!!!!

I too get a perm 2 or 3 times a year. When I was younger,yes the free style hair was great, but as an older person I like a perm. My hair is beautiful, if I say so myself. Also I use nothing but Wen products. But I've seen some styles on girls that are awful,looks like they got a cut with a dull razor, Whats with the dyed blond hair with the inch wide black streek going down the part? I always get nice perms, and I've been going to my girl for over 30 years. When your older you'll cut the long hair and be getting a perm.

Honored Contributor

Well, thanks to all the people here and hair stylist who just labeled me old lady.  Yeah, I'm 60, but I have been getting a perm once or twice a year for years.  I naturally have fine hair with just a little wave in it.  My hairdresser knows to use large rods and to leave the solution on the minimum amount of time.  @CinNC, I don't know what your stylist is telling you.  There are perms specifically for fine hair.  I remember my stylist at one time used one called Frog Fur which was meant for hair as fine as frog's fur.  I'm not sure if that is what she uses on me now, kinda doubt it, but she also uses the largest rods she has which are a mixture of peach and orange.  There are probably even larger rods for looser looks, but my hair really takes it and it lasts until it gets cut out.  Here's mine day of, they usually loosen up a bit after a few weeks.

2019 Curls.jpg

Honored Contributor

Perms.

That will definitely be a ‘Remember When?’ thing

in the not-so-distant future.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't count on it!  I've been around 80 years and so have perms!  

They look better than the mousy grey long straight hair I am seeing on the new retirees!

Respected Contributor

I go to a very large and popular salon.  On my last visit (a week ago), a 20-ish young lady was getting a perm.  I asked my hairdresser if that was rare.  She said it's becoming "a thing" and she's been seeing younger people asking for them quite often in the last few months.

Respected Contributor

Remember the Toni perm? I had one and I still can’t figure out why I got one because my hair was already curly and had body. My mom gave me everything I wanted thank goodness I didn’t go bald. 😞🤦🏽‍♀️

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess @Your hair looks so pretty!🙂

Honored Contributor

I had perms too when I was a child.  I remember how awful and stinky they were!  I had/have very straight fine hair too but it's thick.  Because it's fine it will go both limp & a bit frizzy when it's humid out.

After complaining to my stylist about how my hair goes frizzy in humid weather she suggested a keratin treatment.  It's to maintain my smooth, straight & slick bob style.  I love how it turned out so much & had it again before going to Florida several weeks ago.  what I found amazing was my hair would still look great when I would wake up after sleeping on it all night. 

So while a Keratin treatment won't add body it will help maintain a straight style...at least for me.  My stylist aslo added the solution a few inches down from the top so it wouldn't be as flat at the crown.

If perms tend to be given to mostly older women that tells me something....you don't want to have a dated look.