Respected Contributor

I am very sensitive to perfume as well.  My favorite response is people who know that their not supposed to be wearing it, but only " put on a little" or tell you it's a very light scent.  Ugh, what part of no purfumes confused you. What is a light scent to one can be heavy and cloying to another.

Honored Contributor

Re: Perfume vs no perfume

[ Edited ]

The only place I've ever seen such a sign is at the doctor's office and it was directed only at employees. I am very skeptical of the OP's claims regarding widespread signage, especially given her posts in the past about perfume in public.

I have no doubt whatsoever that many people suffer from conditions that make it difficult to endure any scents. And I know for a fact that some people overdo their fragrance to the point of being instrusive. Certain perfumes give me either a scratchy throat and tight chest or contact dermatitis.So of course I don't use those.

But I love fragrance. I use it sparingly and will continue to do so.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Perfume vs no perfume

[ Edited ]

At the big teaching hospital in my area there are signs all over asking patients to please refrain from wearing perfume to respect those that are sensitive to scents. I was surprised to see that and not sure how long they've had those signs- just noticed it the last time I was there a few weeks ago.

There are many who drown in perfume and I am not sensitive to scents but ceratinly don't like strong perfumes that linger long after the person has left the room (yeah, I am looking at you Amazing Grace lovers, lol!). But if we are going to go that far, I would ask smokers to please refrain from smoking a few hours before they come to their appointments. I think stale cigarette smoke on people is the most offensive scent of all.

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

At the big teaching hospital in my area there are signs all over asking patients to please refrain from wearing perfume to respect those that are sensitive to scents. I was surprised to see that and not sure how long they've had those signs- just noticed it the last time I was there a few weeks ago.

There are many who drown in perfume and I am not sensitive to scents but ceratinly don't like strong perfumes that linger long after the person has left the room (yeah, I am looking at you Amazing Grace lovers, lol!). But if we are going to go that far, I would ask smokers to please refrain from smoking a few hours before they come to their appointments. I think stale cigarette smoke on people is the most offensive scent of all.

no joke! There is a lady who comes to a class at the gym I love to attend, and she always reeks of stale cigs. It absolutely grosses me out. The heavy, musky perfume scent is just nauseating, IMO, but to basically say nobody should wear perfume EVER (as some would like to enforce) is pretty ridiculous. You might as well say they must use unscented laundry detergent and no hair spray, either. 

Trusted Contributor

I can't help it, I adore fragrance, it's delightful to my senses, I have a different scent for my every mood.  It has such an effect on me that it can actually help improve my mood or give me comfort.  But I'm very cautious of not over-doing it, I wear it very sparingly.  I agree with the statement that "An elegant fragrance whispers, it doesn't shout."  Only people that are up close and personal with me can detect my scent.  It's there just for me.    

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

Certainly, such signs may exist in somle medical venues. It makes sense when you're dealing with a population most likely to have allergies or other conditions that could be triggered.

The ones I saw that were directed at employees made the most sense to me because these are the people who show up every day and who are the closest contact to patients, as opposed to a patient who may or may not have ever stepped through the door, making such a sign a bit too late.

I think this whole issue has been blown out of proportion by those who just don't like fragrance at all. I personally have a strong aversion to ANY men's cologne. But I just move away as soon as I can, just as I do when I encounter a female overspritzer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

The biggest problem I have is from anything even fainly 'vanilla scented'.There isn't an asthma inhaler available that could help with the reaction the smell induces.

The girl who sat at the desk beside mine used a very strongly scented vanilla hand lotion every day all day. I had no recourse at the time to ask her to refrain from gassing me to death and management didn't want to 'take a side' Fortunately, a promotion and my removal to an actual office with walls solved the problem but it should have had to be so difficult.

And this was for a company in the healthcare industry.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

Yes! Oh, that's maybe the worst. Some mornings I have to decide between taking the elevator with someone who was clearly just outside smoking or walk up 4 flights of stairs. My asthma doesn't appreciate either option. Someone did alert me to another elevator recently, so some days I take that when I see a smoker get into the elevator before me.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 oddly enough when we were in a different hospital recently, the nurse either had on perfume or a highly scented body lotion. I believe it was some version of Philosophy (the brand they claim hospitals allow) and it was cloying and I could not believe they allowed their nurses to wear something like that. That scent just lingered in his room long after she was gone. Needless to say, he said he never called her in nor when she peeked her head in to see how he was doing did he say anything that would make her come in further to check him out.

Honored Contributor

@TuesdayTaylor wrote:

I can't help it, I adore fragrance, it's delightful to my senses, I have a different scent for my every mood.  It has such an effect on me that it can actually help improve my mood or give me comfort.  But I'm very cautious of not over-doing it, I wear it very sparingly.  I agree with the statement that "An elegant fragrance whispers, it doesn't shout."  Only people that are up close and personal with me can detect my scent.  It's there just for me.    

You said this perfectly. This is exactly how I feel.......