Super Contributor

PMD or Microdermabrasion Tool on Southern Channel

HSN has microdermabrasion tool they've been showing today and it looks quite good. The reviews all seemed positive except for one that said it caused her face to turn red and she felt like it was on fire. I wanted to read the reviews for the PMD from QVC to compare, but it is no longer online. I am curious if anyone here has any thoughts on this. Does it leave a mark from the skin being pulled slightly into the little applicator (vacuum like)? I would love to hear your likes or dislikes?

Thanks,

Valued Contributor

Re: PMD or Microdermabrasion Tool on Southern Channel

It seems as though the PMD made a rather abrupt departure, considering it was on the air frequently and had a TSV a few months back.
Super Contributor

Hi darcy3, Here are my thoughts...

I have used the PMD, and MicrodermMD, which has the same tip as the new one on HSN. I feel that the face gets red more from the scraping of the tips than from the suction.

I found the PMD to be too rough for my normal skin. The PMD tips are more like really rough, chunky sandpaper. The MicrdermMD and the HSN tips have crushed diamonds for abrasives and are very similar to professional in-office machines. They also do not need frequent replacement.

I did not get any marks from the pulling of the skin, but with the PMD, I did actually scrape off some skin and got scabs!

Although some posters here really like the PMD, I would suggest one with the tip such as the HSN tool should you choose to get one.

Something to think about is that these microdermabrasion tools presentations never show any clinical trial data.

I have more thoughts on another thread: http://community.qvc.com/forums/beauty-banter/topic/434208/microdermabrasion-thoughts-is-it-really-...

Respected Contributor

Both of these machines: PMD and Microderm360º Dermabrasion Tool were designed by Kelly West. The one shown on HSN is her newer model. Both do the same exact thing. The only difference is with the 360 model you don't have to change out the tips like with the PMD you do after several uses. Both have filters that need to be replaced. If you YouTube both you can see people using them.
Super Contributor

Interesting... wow, - Rochester Shopper: I am sorry to hear that you got scabs. The PMD seemed like it could cause broken capillaries, but the HSN tool online today did not appear like it would do that. To your point about the clinical trials: you never know with these tools....what appears safe now could cause damage somewhere down the line. I've been reading the threads about the derma roller but I worry that in a few years, there would be damage showing up resulting from these tools. When I was growing up no one though the sun was bad either, but that is different now. I haven't read your entire thread about it (thanks for the link) but I will go and do that now.

Thanks for your replies ladies.

Frequent Contributor

I could not use the PMD but have the Riviiva which looks a lot like the HSN unit. It doesn't spin like the PMD but there is a suction and you drag it across face. I like it a lot.