Honored Contributor

Off Topic...Numb Finger Tips

Does anyone here have numb fingertips from neuropathy (or anything else)?  I've been suffering with this since early last Fall.  FOUR Neurontins a day (sigh) keep them from hurting and tingling but they are still numb.  I was shocked at the degree this has affected everything I do with my hands.  Things like folding clothes aren't a problem but  finding and picking up my makeup products and holding on to them can be frustrating.  Driving a car is ok but typing on this keyboard is NOT.  A kindergartner

could type with more accuracy Smiley Sad  False eyelashes...it's a challenge!  Takes me longer to get ready too.  I'm about ready to burn my bras...I'm not a sports bra gal Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Off Topic...Numb Finger Tips

Yes, but mine comes and goes. It's not constant, 24/7.   Neuropathy, poor circulation in my fingers and toes from diabetes.  Mine is worse in the winter, for some reason.  I don't take any meds for it - just deal with it.   But I understand what you're going through.  

However, I step in and out of sports bras every day.  Couldn't work a hook-n-eye closure if my life depended on it!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm   I have long suffered from Raynaud's syndrome which sounds similar as what you have but maybe not as severe.   It has something to do with the blood vessels in the fingertips and my fingers have no feeling sometimes for hours.  It's very strange, mostly occurs in the winter and once they get cold, they turn white and it takes forever to warm them up.   Not much I can do for it besides wearing gloves ALL season long, expecially in the supermarket.  That's awful because then I have trouble getting my credit card out of my wallet due to the numbness.   I always work out because you have to keep your circulation healthy and without good circulation it just gets worse.  Best of luck, hope you feel better and can find some relief.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you have any neck pain or weakness in your arms?  I started with some fingertip numbness in my ring and pinky fingers a few years ago. At first, I didn’t pay much attention but then the neck pain started and began traveling into my ear and up my head, plus the weakness and spasms in my arm on the same side.  Long story short, I had a compressed bulging disc and ended up needing ACDF surgery a year and a half ago.  The surgery resolved just about everything except for my fingertip numbness.  Once the nerves are shot, it’s unlikely they’ll revive again back to normal.  If these are new symptoms that you haven’t had too long, and they’re the only ones you’re experiencing, theres a better chance of them responding.  Look into taking some various supplements to get some improvement in waking up those nerves again - namely Acetyl L-Carnitine, B Complex, and B-12. Make sure you take them in therapeutic amounts, not just a general all purpose dose.  It may or may not work, but it’s worth a try. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm ...........have you seen a doctor for your symptoms?  If not I suggest you do.  It could be a few different causes.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@monicakm ...........have you seen a doctor for your symptoms?  If not I suggest you do.  It could be a few different causes.

Neurontin is a prescribed medication so she probably is seeing a doctor for the condition.

Honored Contributor

My numbness is from chemo and nothing I took, helped. My onc dr said that if they remained numbed after a year--they would always be that way. Been 8 years now. Zip lock openings are the bane of my existance now and for awhile, would cut my finger tips while chopping things----can't feel anything soft and am so clumbsy--dropping stuff alll the time. And really no small motor skills at this point---like I am being punished for getting better--------don't have the tingling or pain tho and always have to recheck my typing too. 

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

@monicakm   I have long suffered from Raynaud's syndrome which sounds similar as what you have but maybe not as severe.   It has something to do with the blood vessels in the fingertips and my fingers have no feeling sometimes for hours.  It's very strange, mostly occurs in the winter and once they get cold, they turn white and it takes forever to warm them up.   Not much I can do for it besides wearing gloves ALL season long, expecially in the supermarket.  That's awful because then I have trouble getting my credit card out of my wallet due to the numbness.   I always work out because you have to keep your circulation healthy and without good circulation it just gets worse.  Best of luck, hope you feel better and can find some relief.

My symptoms exactly, @LindaSal .  When I get home from the market, first thing I do is take off the gloves, run warm tapwater over my fingers , and then microwave a cup of water on high so I can wrap my fingers around it.  Fortunately, it's only a small annoyance in the grand scheme of things.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm  Sorry you're dealing with this.  Was it a GP who prescribed the neurontin?  If so, I'd also check with a neurologist, who might have additional suggestions on how to relieve your symptoms.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

Maybe I should reconsider the sports bra.  Do they make them that give you a "figure" (defines, lifts and separates) and not just flattens?  The center point of the breasts should come half way between the shoulder and elbow.