Honored Contributor

I tend to use (and have for years) Revlon nail polishes.  I've had them separate and I shake them until it's all mixed together again, not unlike a can of paint.  They used to use little metal balls that would re-mix it very well when shaken, but I don't know if they still use them.  But I see no problem using the nail polish once it's been re-mixed.  I've never seen a warning not to either.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I shake and still use them. And I have not noticed any adverse issues, still last for 4 weeks on my toes! 

Honored Contributor

Shake and use as long as the consistency of the polish has not changed.

I even take my own polish when I go for a professional mani-pedi.   My favorite polish is over 20 years old and hasn't been available for at least a decade.  I like using my own because my coloring doesn't work well with the majority of the colors preferred by women who look good in blue-based polishes -  and I can always do a quick touchup if I get a chip.

Honored Contributor

I think they just do that if you haven't used them in a while.  Just shake them and roll them between your hands well and they should go back together.  If not, or they appear really thick when you try to use them, then I would say you need to toss them.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Nail Polish question

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I think they just do that if you haven't used them in a while.  Just shake them and roll them between your hands well and they should go back together.  If not, or they appear really thick when you try to use them, then I would say you need to toss them.  

That what I do too.  

Don't toss until you try to get it to come back together!  This happens with mine and they're fine after shake/roll them.

Regular Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It means they are old and you should toss them out.

I do not think this is necessarily true.  Newer polish separates quickly due to the lack of so many ingredients that were once contained in nail polish.  Those so called bad ingredients kept polish from separating.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle 

I didn't know there was a polish "thinner".  

I've always used polish remover to thin out

old polish.  Thanks for the heads up (even tho

I rarely use polish anymore).

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Shelbelle 

I didn't know there was a polish "thinner".  

I've always used polish remover to thin out

old polish.  Thanks for the heads up (even tho

I rarely use polish anymore).

Polish remover even acetone free will dull and alter the finish of a color polish, so it is definitely a NO! I get a nice polish thinner at Sallys called Beauty Secrets, one bottle lasts forever, and only costs a few dollars. Several drops will restore old polish back to its original consistancy. And it can be used as often as necesary if it gets thick again. 

Valued Contributor
I keep my nail polish in the refrigerator. It lasts for years and rarely separates.
I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!