Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

You may be dehydrated.

I never knew this untill my Dr told me I was..............

Respected Contributor

I always recommend Nailtique.  It's a winner.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

I think just about any type of oil will help if you use it consistently. But I agree with ECBG about considering nutrition. Insufficient Biotin is often the culprit, and there's a supplement called "BioSil" that has helped me. No need for mega doses of B vitamins or calcium, just more than you are getting now. If you have a doctor and can get a complete metabolic panel, you might spot something specific to you.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A couple of my nails split length-wise and I needed something to fill in the cracks. While I was filling my cart online at Walmart, I looked to see if I could find something for my nails and I found this. It wasn't expensive (less than $4) plus it has natural pink color which I also needed. So far I like it and I'll use it until my cracked nails grow out.

8-in-1_nude_manicure_package.jpg

I see there is one from Nail Aid that is called 9 in 1 and is clear, for those wanting something clear. 

Honored Contributor

I won't get into all my nail woes but I will say that I have tried what seems like every product out there from high end to drugstore.

The only product that I have found that doesn't peel off my nails in 1 strip after a day or 2 is Nail Life that I bought at Sally Beauty Supply.  It is about $8.00 for a bottle and I love this stuff.   

About a month ago I decided to ditch my acrylic overlays because I was sick of being tied to an appointment.  I was sure I'd be back in the salon with a week to have acrylics put back on.  So far, I have no desire because my nails actually look pretty darn good.

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

I think just about any type of oil will help if you use it consistently. But I agree with ECBG about considering nutrition. Insufficient Biotin is often the culprit, and there's a supplement called "BioSil" that has helped me. No need for mega doses of B vitamins or calcium, just more than you are getting now. If you have a doctor and can get a complete metabolic panel, you might spot something specific to you.

@KaySD    I think anything about Biotin helping nails is a myth.  I took large doses of it for over a year and it did absolutely nothing.  I also took Lessman's nail vitamins for a couple months which did nothing.  I had to stop because they upset my stomach.

I think the best thing you can do is stay away from any polishes because they and polish remover are all drying, and keep nails lubricated several times a day and at night with an oil or lotion.  Dryness seems to be the culprit.  Mine get much worse in winter when the heat is on. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if you're applying polish to your nails, but I'd stop doing that for awhile if you are. I agree with another poster that you may be missing something in your diet. I've never taken Biotin, but when I had that problem I made sure I took my calcium tablets, ate jello daily (good for the nails) and used a nail product that was an oil but with the end result to strengthen them.....(not a polish though). If the other poster had such good luck with Biotin, I'd consider trying that.

Respected Contributor

my nails were badly damaged from constant gel manicures with no breaks in between manis.  when i went "bare" i was horrified at the condition of my nails.  i started using Nailtiques formula 2 ... omg what a help.   my nails were so split and cracked when i started using this product, but after only 6 months or so, my nails started looking healthy.  cannot recommend this highly enough.  

Honored Contributor

I soak my nails in a little olive oil warmed up.  It keeps my nails from getting brittle, breaking and splitting and keeps my cuticles in great shape too.  

I do not use polish or remover..they are too drying for natural nails.

Soap, detergents, sanitizers and water are the enemy..wear gloves.  They really do save your nails.

I forgot to mention that I keep a glass nail file near by.  Everytime I feel a rough edge, I use the nail file to smooth it out.  Never use Emory boards or metal files.  They are damaging. Only file in one direction so you don't saw at the nails.

Contributor

I use TIPS get it from qvc. Years ago got on auto delivery so I have decent price but know price is higher now. Would probably pay it though as my nails are so good now.  Looked in several local beauty supply shops but could not find locally.                                                                                                                                                                    They said it will take time as you have to wait for the bad nails to grow out and then you get the good.  Apply one time a day. Nails are porous so no water on nails for at least one hour prior or the water already in them will keep the nail from soaking up the nutrients. But that would probably apply no matter what you use.                                     Good luck with whatever you try.