Respected Contributor

I posted a while ago that I stopped using the Perfect Formula set that was a TSV from QVC.  It made my bad nails worse.  I threw the stuff away and went back to Sally Hanson, which I've used before and had good results.  But now it doesn't work.  So right now I stopped using anythin on my nails and been applying argon oil at night.  My nails are so weak, peeling and splitting.  I haven't had the peeling and splitting.  Any reccommendations for something you've used that has been tried and true?

Trusted Contributor

I am currently using the Sally Hansen Moisture Rehab (recommended here) and love it!  I also use the SH vitamin E nail and cuticle oil which works great too.

Honored Contributor

Sally Hansen 7 in 1, it contains all you need for a treatment, base and top coat. Very good ingredients. I get mine for a low price on ebay.  Bottle is pink, but the nail product is clear. 

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy I use extra virgin olive oil on my nails.  Have been for years.  I find it helps keep them strong with no peeling or splitting.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

A couple of my nails split length-wise and I needed something to fill in the cracks. While I was filling my cart online at Walmart, I looked to see if I could find something for my nails and I found this. It wasn't expensive (less than $4) plus it has natural pink color which I also needed. So far I like it and I'll use it until my cracked nails grow out.

8-in-1_nude_manicure_package.jpg

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

You might also look at your nutrients.  Your symptoms can also come from a deficiency you never realized.

Frequent Contributor

You might try a nail product called Trind Nail Balsam.  You can buy at Amazon, EBay or they have their own sight.  Great product for peeling splitting or weak nails.

Esteemed Contributor

I would think being faithful to your oil and keeping your hands in hand cream and out of water or remover should help.

However, it is a long process to grow out the bad and replace it with good.  Just like removing fake.

Keep at it ❤️

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I posted a while ago that I stopped using the Perfect Formula set that was a TSV from QVC.  It made my bad nails worse.  I threw the stuff away and went back to Sally Hanson, which I've used before and had good results.  But now it doesn't work.  So right now I stopped using anythin on my nails and been applying argon oil at night.  My nails are so weak, peeling and splitting.  I haven't had the peeling and splitting.  Any reccommendations for something you've used that has been tried and true?

@ScrapHappy - I was having problems with a few of my nails splitting and nothing worked.  Then in January I started taking Andrew Lessman's vitamins.  They have Biotin in them and voila' after a couple of months, I realized that my nails were no longer splitting and seemed stronger.  So try a topical treatment but you may also want to look into taking Biotin.  Start with a low does and work up and see how you do.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy My nails have always been very thin and brittle.  What seems to be working for me, which was unexpected as I did not plan on them getting stronger, is taking a multi-vitamin (actually, a few different ones).  Several months before we had even heard the words Covid or pandemic, a friend who follows world diseases told me to start taking vitamins because we were going to be in for a very rough several years.  While I was skeptical, I started with the vitamins.  It took almost a year for me to see a difference, but it is amazing.  I also use something called Hard as Hoofs and Jones Road has a moisture stick that I also use, along with buffing.  My nails will never be long and beautiful, but they are much better than I have ever seen.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!