Esteemed Contributor

I have a daily brush cleaner to keep them clean between washes. I saw Nikki La rose recommend Dr Branners bar soap in peppermint for deep cleanings. It works great and is around 5 dollars a bar.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Makeup brushes

[ Edited ]

I don't wash mine too often because they always seem to look and perform worse every time I do.  So it seems like I end up getting new ones about every year...no matter how expensive.

Valued Contributor

I hate doing it. Cinema secret from Sephora works very well, but you still have to rinse it off a lot. 

I have a lot of brushes. Foundation and concealer brushes are changed every 2 or 3 days.

Honored Contributor

I quick wash all my brushes as I use them by brushing them back and forth on a damp wash cloth.  For a deep clean I have a Sephora solid brush cleaner.  That thing cleaned some crud off the end of the bristles of one of my brushes that I had almost given up on.  In fact, at the time I bought it, I was going to buy a replacement angle brush in a Sephora sale, but they happened to be out of them.  Previously, I had tried Dawn and my clairifying shampoo with no luck getting that off.  

Sephora Brush Cleaner.jpg

Respected Contributor

You can purchase cleaner for makeup brushes, works well.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal 

I wash mine with shampoo or Dawn.  Press between two towels and lay flat to dry.

Super Contributor

@monicakm I do the same, but use Woolite cold water wash, swish a few times. After I press them in the towels, I usually prop them up in a short glass to air dry them. I have had a few for many years taking care of them this way.

Honored Contributor

@charsha 

Woolite sounds like an excellent idea Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor
I have a mix of natural hair and synthetic brushes. I use dawn for the synthetic ones as I use creams/liquids with those and they tend to need more thorough and frequent cleanings. I use purity for my natural hair brushes, I find the natural hairs seem to prefer purity. I use powders with my natural hair brushes so they don’t get gunky. I have some natural hair brushes I bought in 1988 and they’re still in great condition except for the fluffiest one - my cat took a liking to it and would pull it out if my brush cup and play with it Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor
Forgot to mention i have a nubby silicone thing that helps cleaning the synthetic ones.