Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

Thank goodness I had boys. I would never let my daughter wear makeup at 13. I wouldn't care what her friends her age were doing.

She came here for help, not to be judged. If her daughter is feeling low self-esteem because of acne, a little makeup might help her feel better about herself until she gets past it.

She should express to her daughter she is beautiful regardless of acne and not make her feel she has to put makeup on to feel pretty. And makeup is only going to aggravate the acne worse. It's a trying time for girls AND boys. This is the time we teach them to love themselves and be comfortable in their own skin. Not hide behind gobbs of makeup. 

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't cut it for a young teen. They know what acne does to their looks, and their peers can be brutal. A mother should always tell her children that they are beautiful, but she should also remember and understand that that age group already has so many vulnerabilities even without suffering from acne.

There are many options for a foundation that would not aggravate the skin. And there are good online sites for help as well; e.g., acne.org.

The OP doesn't even mention if this is to cover acne. She mentioned that the acne is being treated and her main concern is with her daughters makeup turning orange and not lasting. Girls are growing up too fast. It starts with makeup. They wanting to look more like late teens then 13 year olds. It starts at home. Next is birth control at 14. 

I think you might reread the OP. Here it is:

"I am looking for some help for my 13 year old daughter. As many of you mothers know the teen years can be very trying. She is being plagued by acne. We are addressing the acne issue but she would like to use some form makeup. We have tried several types of BB cream, concealers, powders and foundations from the drug stores, Everything either turns orange or does not last. Does anyone have any suggestions?"

They may be addressing the acne, but she still is "plagued" by it; hence, the plea for advice on makeup -- that doesn't turn orange or disappear.

This doesn't sound anything like wanting to look older. A good foundation wouldn't do that anyway. As for the very O/T mention of birth control, that would make for an interesting thread by itself.

She states her daughter is plagued by acne but WANTS  to wear makeup that probably doesn't make it worse. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Makeup Help

[ Edited ]

@cef001 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

Thank goodness I had boys. I would never let my daughter wear makeup at 13. I wouldn't care what her friends her age were doing.

She came here for help, not to be judged. If her daughter is feeling low self-esteem because of acne, a little makeup might help her feel better about herself until she gets past it.

She should express to her daughter she is beautiful regardless of acne and not make her feel she has to put makeup on to feel pretty. And makeup is only going to aggravate the acne worse. It's a trying time for girls AND boys. This is the time we teach them to love themselves and be comfortable in their own skin. Not hide behind gobbs of makeup. 

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't cut it for a young teen. They know what acne does to their looks, and their peers can be brutal. A mother should always tell her children that they are beautiful, but she should also remember and understand that that age group already has so many vulnerabilities even without suffering from acne.

There are many options for a foundation that would not aggravate the skin. And there are good online sites for help as well; e.g., acne.org.

The OP doesn't even mention if this is to cover acne. She mentioned that the acne is being treated and her main concern is with her daughters makeup turning orange and not lasting. Girls are growing up too fast. It starts with makeup. They wanting to look more like late teens then 13 year olds. It starts at home. Next is birth control at 14. 

I think you might reread the OP. Here it is:

"I am looking for some help for my 13 year old daughter. As many of you mothers know the teen years can be very trying. She is being plagued by acne. We are addressing the acne issue but she would like to use some form makeup. We have tried several types of BB cream, concealers, powders and foundations from the drug stores, Everything either turns orange or does not last. Does anyone have any suggestions?"

They may be addressing the acne, but she still is "plagued" by it; hence, the plea for advice on makeup -- that doesn't turn orange or disappear.

This doesn't sound anything like wanting to look older. A good foundation wouldn't do that anyway. As for the very O/T mention of birth control, that would make for an interesting thread by itself.

She states her daughter is plagued by acne but WANTS  to wear makeup that probably doesn't make it worse. 

I think you're being intentionally obtuse by by insisting that the acne has nothing to do with the desire to wear makeup.

Contributor

If it were my thirteen year old I would begin her with something more natural like pure minerals.  A girl that young shouldn't be wearing heavy makeup.....and its much more affordable.

Trusted Contributor

My DD is 13 yo and pretty much a makeup free girl by her choice.  However, there are some days when her acne really bothers her making her feel self-conscious and insecure.  We have found that the original Bare Minerals foundation covers very nicely without making her acne worse.  I take a small brush and dab a tiny bit of foundation on each blemish.  Then, I very lightly dust her face with a large fluffy foundation brush to blend.  It looks natural.  HTH!!  Smiley Happy

Paws and enjoy life.
Frequent Contributor

Believe you me I do assure my beautiful daughter that she is beautiful. Everyday!! And she is not "hiding " behind globs of makeup! This is an extremely difficult age for girls. Puberty has wrecked havoc on her acne wise as well she was diagnosed with a seizure disorder which the medication makes it worse. It was my daughter who asked me if she could wear a light amount of makeup. Whatever I can do to help her feel better and at ease about herself I will do. 

Super Contributor

@karlam wrote:

I believe Proactive has a makeup line.

Proactiv has a concealer called Proactiv+ Repairing Concealer Quad.  It consists of four different shades of concealer that can be blended to create a custom look. It sells for $34.00 on the Proactiv website.  I'm not sure if you have looked into this, but I think it would be a good idea to check out the Proactiv line of skin care products for your daughter.

Regular Contributor

Re: Makeup Help

[ Edited ]

I would suggest bare minerals.   If you bring her to a boutique they will color match her and likely have a sample size she can bring home so she can try it for a few days before buying a full size.   The original foundation looks very natural and can be applied heavier in the spots she would like to cover her acne.   I don't think that high school age is too young for makeup at all.  A soft color of blush,  a little mascara and some gloss would look natural and probably boost her confidence.  I had acne at that age and remember vividly how cruel kids that age can be!

Valued Contributor

I agree with the suggestion for mineral makeup.  Bobbi Brown's mineral makeup gives a very light natural looking coerage.  I also reccomend Lucy Minerals - I believe it has an oil free or oil blotting formula.